cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VIN replacement tag on utility trailer

gmcman
Explorer
Explorer
I recently bought a 5x10 utility trailer from a private seller, honest guy, likely wasn't aware of a tongue repair or repaint...not sure, but I need to get a replacement vin plate.

I have the sellers title, now titled in my name, with registration....but I would like to make it 100% legal.

The problem I have is the first 3 digits.....1C9, I can't find a manufacturer.

The title says "HOLM" but this is not a Holmes trailer and that's the closest match I can come up with.

Also the date is 1999 so it could be a homemade trailer, not sure but looks like a well built, 3" channel frame trailer.

Any thoughts on the make of the trailer?
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
To the OP, unless you are required to get a vin inspection and that is holding it up, IMO, who cares as long as they give you your title and tags?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
mowermech wrote:

All problems solved with two trips to the County Courthouse!

Which might end up being two trips TOO MANY.
Call first. The State DMV or local Sheriffs office.

Note that I specified "here in Montana". I don't need to call, because I have done it. Several times, in fact.
Of course, if YOU do not know how it all works in YOUR state, you definitely should call somebody who does know. But, ask the question of somebody who knows, like the office where you do title transfers. It is unlikely any law enforcement officer will know, unless you are lucky enough to find one of the few who have "been there, done that".
Many times, when I call to have a VIN inspection done, I have had to guide the LEO through the process, because he had never done it before. I even had to show one of them where to sign the form!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
If I remember correctly, when I bought my cargo trailer directly from the manufacturer in Douglas, GA, there was no "Title". I asked them about it and they told me they don't give a Title, but instead issue me a "Bill of Sale" with the VIN, cost info, size, etc.

I took that to NJ MV to register the trailer and they were not one bit bothered that I only had a "Bill of Sale". I think as long as they got their sales tax that I had to pay at registration that was all that mattered.

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:
The "IC9" portion is typed.
Look at something you didn't bother to provide a link to? No, I didn't. Many typewriters didn't have a separate glyph for the numeral "1", it was common to use a lower case "l" or, less commonly, an uppercase "I" in its stead. It may be expecting a bit much, but when the character is meant to be a one, a scanning result of ell or eye is a mis-scan.

In any case, the fact remains, no WMIs start with the letter I, and many trailer manufacturers do have WCIs which do start with 1C9, which falls in the range for USA WMIs. (NHTSA, ibid)

Oh good grief! First off, not all PDF files are scanned files, an assumption you obviously made. PDFs can be generated by other means, like an export/save from Word. Secondly I provided the Google search string "IC9 trailer vin" so people could do their own searches. Different search engines will come up with different hits, but here are a few hits if you're interested:

An obviously scanned file:
Custom Built Trailers

InstaVIN Resource Center

A file that was probably not scanned but computer generated:
Country Trailers

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
mowermech wrote:

Which might end up being two trips TOO MANY.
Call first. The State DMV or local Sheriffs office.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me, and I had that trailer here in Montana, I would just go to the courthouse and get a VIN for a new home-built trailer, then go to Harbor Freight and get the 1/4 inch number/letter stamps. Stamp the new VIN on the trailer as directed by the instructions that came with the new VIN, get the stamping inspected by a Law Enforcement Officer (City Police, Sheriff deputy, Highway Patrol), take the signed paperwork to the courthouse, get the registration and license plate, and in 4 to 6 weeks I would have my new title.
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
The "IC9" portion is typed.
Look at something you didn't bother to provide a link to? No, I didn't. Many typewriters didn't have a separate glyph for the numeral "1", it was common to use a lower case "l" or, less commonly, an uppercase "I" in its stead. It may be expecting a bit much, but when the character is meant to be a one, a scanning result of ell or eye is a mis-scan.

In any case, the fact remains, no WMIs start with the letter I, and many trailer manufacturers do have WCIs which do start with 1C9, which falls in the range for USA WMIs. (NHTSA, ibid)

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:
Interesting, but when I did a Google search with "IC9 trailer VIN" it came up with a number of scanned PDF's...
ITYM "mis-scanned."

Did you look at them? Can you explain how they're all "mis-scanned". The "IC9" portion is typed along with most of the rest of the form letter. Comparing multiple PDFs shows the typed sections all seem to scan the same way with the same information. I've scanned a lot of documents and never seen the same mistakes made consistently.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
i do not have a title for my flatbed. Also it does not have a VIN tag, it just has a heavy duty stick on with the info. i do have an annual registration that goes with the license plates.

When it thaws out i really should get my stamping set out and stamp the number into the frame.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Interesting, but when I did a Google search with "IC9 trailer VIN" it came up with a number of scanned PDF's...
ITYM "mis-scanned."

bob_nestor
Explorer III
Explorer III
mike-s wrote:
bob_nestor wrote:
Isn't IC9 the prefix assigned to a company in Houston, Tx called Custom Built Trailers?

Don't have a phone number but their address is 512 Nebraska, S. Houston, Tx 77587
There are no WMIs which start with the letter I, presumably to avoid confusion with those starting with the numeral 1.

To the OP:

1C9 is used by a bunch of manufacturers (they apparently assign smaller blocks to trailer manufacturers). You can get more detail from the nhtsa website. It looks like you need to plug in the first 6 digits.

Interesting, but when I did a Google search with "IC9 trailer VIN" it came up with a number of scanned PDF's that were letters from Custom Built Trailers in Houston to the VIN coordinator at the National Highway Traffic Safety Admin in compliance with some Federal law - 565.7(c) of 49 CFR Part 565.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:

1-800 your state and see if they have a blank vin tag for motor vehicles and requirements....if any.

THIS.

In Fla.....and other states I assume because of Federal Uniform Motorvehicle codes....a small utility trailer does not really HAVE a VIN in the conventional sense.

Mine has none; not on the registration nor the trailer itself and there is not a seperate title.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
bob_nestor wrote:
Isn't IC9 the prefix assigned to a company in Houston, Tx called Custom Built Trailers?

Don't have a phone number but their address is 512 Nebraska, S. Houston, Tx 77587
There are no WMIs which start with the letter I, presumably to avoid confusion with those starting with the numeral 1.

To the OP:

1C9 is used by a bunch of manufacturers (they apparently assign smaller blocks to trailer manufacturers). You can get more detail from the nhtsa website. It looks like you need to plug in the first 6 digits.

AJBert
Explorer
Explorer
I had to replace the tongue on my boat trailer a few years back not even thinking of the VIN. When I registered it in CO, I had all the paper work in order but no VIN on the trailer. The DMV reclassified it as a home built trailer and issued me a new VIN tag.

Not sure how VA handles such things but I'm pretty sure they (DMV) have come across your situation before.