cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cummins ISL Oil recommendation

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready for my first service, and I see the shop offers standard oil, semi synthetic, or full synthetic. Terrific 🙂

Any idea what would be the best oil for the ISL that operates as a vacationer with periods of storage >120 days and may operate in weather >120 F or <0 F?

Previously my Ford diesels were always serviced by Ford and I never paid attention to what they put in as they were always still under warranty.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed
24 REPLIES 24

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Brett: I cannot believe that you have not heard of the 2 new oils! I usually look to you for info! FA4 ( was once called PC11) is the oil for newer engines. Not backwards compatible. Apparently the labeling will be different. CK4 is the replacement for CJ4 and can be used in all of the previous diesels. Dig around on the Chevron website and you will see lots of info.

Moisheh

Sorry, still have a couple of cases of "good old" Shell Rotella T, so have not paid any attention to oils recently. Since it was first licensed a little over one month ago, I don't feel too "left out".

Probably one of the more concise explanations: http://rotella.shell.com/products/pc-11.html?gclid=CKjHub3NwNECFeNsMgod83QDPw&gclsrc=ds

What you need to know about CK-4 and FA-4

The new PC 11 category is being driven by changes to fuel economy and emissions regulations that are prompting changes to engine components/sizes and often resulting in hotter operating temperatures.

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and major engine manufacturers have agreed on ambitious new goals for fuel economy and emissions in future medium- and heavy-duty vehicles. To meet these goals without any compromise in engine protection, a new generation of diesel engine oils is required. First licensing is December 1, 2016.
What is PC-11?

PC-11 stands for Proposed Category 11. The new PC-11 Heavy Duty Engine Oils (HDEO), now called CK-4 and FA-4, due in December of 2016, will surpass current CJ-4 oil technology.
Why do we need a new oil standard?

Oil technology and engine technology go hand in hand. Changing regulatory limits challenge engine manufacturers to reduce emissions. As engine manufacturers begin to create a new generation of cleaner, more fuel-efficient diesel engines, they need a new generation of higher-performing diesel engine oils to protect them. And they need to know those oils will be available throughout the country to every diesel engine owner.
What’s the difference between CK-4/FA-4 heavy duty engine oils and current engine oils?

In order to meet goals for more fuel-efficient engines and fewer emissions, many next-generation engines will run at higher operating temperatures. This will require changes in engine oil composition, so they can withstand more heat without sacrificing engine protection.

It will also mean that instead of one category of engine oils, we’ll have two – CK-4 and FA-4. CK-4 engine oils will be a direct replacement for the engine oils you’re using now. You’ll be able to buy the same viscosity grades and oil types (conventional, full synthetic, synthetic blend) you’re using now, and they’ll be “backwards compatible” to ALL current vehicles. They’ll just also conform to the new PC-11 standards.

The new FA-4 engine oils will be offered in lower viscosity grades and are designed primarily for next-generation engines to help maximize fuel economy without sacrificing engine protection. These FA-4 oils may have limited backwards compatibility2 and would be labeled as such. Oil companies and OEMs are currently testing these products in a range of applications to demonstrate without sacrificing engine protection.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Brett: I cannot believe that you have not heard of the 2 new oils! I usually look to you for info! FA4 ( was once called PC11) is the oil for newer engines. Not backwards compatible. Apparently the labeling will be different. CK4 is the replacement for CJ4 and can be used in all of the previous diesels. Dig around on the Chevron website and you will see lots of info.

Moisheh

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
CJ4 is the oil that was made for DPF equipped vehicles. The previous type, CI4, is probably not available anymore. Or it is not common. Everyone should be prepared for the new oils that are just coming to marketplace. One of them is backwards compatible. The other is only for the newer diesel engines.

Moisheh

Interested in more information on the "oil for diesels" that is NOT backwards compatible.
Brett Wolfe

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
Mile High wrote:
So using a Rotella T6 that meets CJ-6 could reduce some of my DEF consumption because the filter won't plug as often?
Never heard of CJ6??? If you have a DPF you should be using CJ4. What does that have to do with your DEF????

Moisheh
Oops - typo. I meant Rotella T6 meets CJ-4.

I'm grasping at the DEF based on this claim from Rotella as a justification for using T6 over T1 in a newer diesel:

Emissions System Compatibility

Advanced low-ash formulation helps control blocking of or poisoning of exhaust after-treatment devices, helping maintain vehicle emission compliance and engine fuel efficiency.

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
I shot an e-mail to Tom Johnson (JG Lubricant Services) referencing this thread. This is what he did/does for a living.

Here is his response: The latest oil specification for Diesel Engines, as defined by API (the American Petroleum Institute), is CK-4. The “C” means compression ignition, the “K” is the latest revision, and the “4” means 4-stroke. Here’s a link to the definition: http://www.api.org/products-and-services/engine-oil/eolcs-categories-and-documents/oil-categories#ta.... I suggest that forum members on this thread read the definitions and use the correct API Category oil shown in their Owner’s Manual.

And, concerning use of synthetics: With regard to posts, in this thread, that refer to the use of synthetics, I suggest that you pass on a link to one of my blog pages on synthetics. The word “synthetic” means different things to different people and I cover some of that in my blog. Here’s the link: http://www.jglubricantservices.com/blog/should-i-purchase-or-use-synthetic-oils-my-buddy-says-theyre...
Brett Wolfe

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Never heard of CJ6??? If you have a DPF you should be using CJ4. What does that have to do with your DEF????

Moisheh

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
So using a Rotella T6 that meets CJ-6 could reduce some of my DEF consumption because the filter won't plug as often?

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
CJ4 is the oil that was made for DPF equipped vehicles. The previous type, CI4, is probably not available anymore. Or it is not common. Everyone should be prepared for the new oils that are just coming to marketplace. One of them is backwards compatible. The other is only for the newer diesel engines.

Moisheh

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Uh oh, I do have the DEF

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Just be certain to use the correct oil. Diesel oils are not all the same. Different spec's for those of us that have particulate filters verses those that have pre DEF coaches. Some oils can cause the particulate filter to stop up sooner.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Two Jayhawks wrote:
Mile High wrote:
It looks Like Speedco offers Rotella T and Baldwin Filters for $299, so is that Rotella T1 most likely as the standard oil?

Are you having them service your genny also?
not this time. I had it done at Freightliner a few months ago when it said it was due on the controller.

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
I've used Delo 400 15w-40 in my F350 since 99 (Powerstroke with 273k) & in my coach & gene since I've owned it January of 09. Now have 42k on coach & never any problems.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
It looks Like Speedco offers Rotella T and Baldwin Filters for $299, so is that Rotella T1 most likely as the standard oil?

Are you having them service your genny also?
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Dave___Ginny
Explorer
Explorer
All I use is Shell Rottella. Once the diesel is broke in I'll switch to the synthetic version which I believe is called "T6".

Unfortunately most motor homes sit too long and all the oil film is drained from the bearings. This causes a dry start until the oil pump starts pumping oil. With synthetic oil, the film stays much longer and protects the surfaces better.

I save enough money changing my own oil to justify the added expense of the synthetic oil.

Jmo
2015 Entegra Aspire RBQ