cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

4 cyl?

atomicmorganic
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. Newby here. First post. I am considering buying a small fiberglass camping trailer to be towed by something like a 4 cylinder Toyota Rav 4. Am I dreaming?
22 REPLIES 22

vermilye
Explorer
Explorer
While the V6 with tow package version of the RAV 4 is quite capable of towing its rated load (I towed a 3010 lb, 345 lb tongue weight Escape 17B 75,000 miles over the last 5 years, including trips to Leadville, CO (10,000') and Alaska), it is going to be tough to find any non folding trailer that will be a comfortable & safe tow with the 4 cylinder RAV 4.

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a 1000lb popup with a Suzuki Samurai for many years without issue. Then we towed a larger 2000lb popup with a 4 door Suzuki Sidekick which did very well. Both were 4cyl. On both vehicles I did add headers and a less restrictive exhaust which helped greatly but they did fine before the change.

Depending on year, the 4cyl Rav4 has a tow capacity of around 1500lb's. That is with only the driver and no luggage. A 1000lb popup trailer would be the limit for the Rav4. A V6 4 door mini truck would do far better (I towed for years with a 1993 Nissan V6 truck).
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
"Am I dreaming? " Yes and its a bad dream too. 2017 Rav 4 gvwr is 4,640 with the vehicle weighing 3,630. That leaves you 1,010 pounds. That's not enough for your trailer, family and stuff

Huh?? GVWR does not include trailer weight.

As for the comment about VW diesels, I think most TDI owners are sitting on theirs and waiting for the buyout money from VW. Hardly any for sale around here.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"Am I dreaming? " Yes and its a bad dream too. 2017 Rav 4 gvwr is 4,640 with the vehicle weighing 3,630. That leaves you 1,010 pounds. That's not enough for your trailer, family and stuff
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
We towed a Aspen Classic camper behind our Honda Goldwing for many miles, you could try one of those.

Aspen Classic
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
... make sure any 4 banger is equipped with the right towing package, i.e. correct rated hitch, tranny cooler, brake controller, and trailer electrical connection.

CONCUR !

Probably the most important of the above is an auxiliary transmission cooler. Check to see if it was an option. Adding a factory cooler is usually cleaner than an aftermarket. If there was a HD radiator option, that would also be a good upgraded.

Most very small trailers do not have brakes. You may decided to add them and a brake controller after you tackle some hills.

Whether you need a weight distribution hitches depends on the trailer tongue and what you are hauling in back (i.e. how much sag at the hitch)

My EcoBoost turbocharged 2.0L Ford Edge is rated at 3500#. I think that is "generous" but I would be comfortable around 3000#.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
You're almost ready for a nightmare with a 4 cylinder, BTDT. Even a popup camper can be a struggle with a 4 banger. An alternative to using a 4 cylinder is to buy a beater truck for towing. Another is to tow a tear drop trailer but make sure any 4 banger is equipped with the right towing package, i.e. correct rated hitch, tranny cooler, brake controller, and trailer electrical connection.

FWIW, my buddy bought an aluminum body teardrop on the way home from the Fiat dealer. He found out that even the light weight teardrop is a struggle with his new Fiat SUV. It overheats the automatic transmission.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You would have no problem towing a Tear Drop camper with your vehicle. Click here for inspiration!

Jebby14
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like you don't have the tow vehicle yet. Why not purchase a better equipped tow vehicle? There are many options to tow a small fiberglass trailer that are more suitable that aren't giant trucks. My 07 liberty for example is rated for 5000 lb (although in real life I wouldn't go much about 2500) and it still fits in the smallest of parking spots?
Q: Whats brown and sticky???

A: A Stick....

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you have a specific need for an SUV you may be better off with a car than a small SUV. Diesel Jettas are a very popular and effective choice, and with their recent emissions scsndal they can be bought cheaply. If you want a bolt on setup you will be limited by the bolt on hitches available in North America long before the car is limited. As is typical if you buy a European manufactured hitch the tow ratings for the car magically double, with the manufacturer's approval for use in Europe only, lol. With a custom install the Jetta can tow a substantial trailer with stability and power you just won't get out of a small gas motor and inherently less stable platform like a small SUV. The diesel is important, towing power is all about torque and the deisels have far more and at lower rpms.
That said the ratings on the 6 cylinder Rav4 are into the 3500 pound area where you would have a lot of trailer options, so if a custom install is not in the cards then consider the larger motor with the tow package. It will still have a poor overhang ratio and a high ride height which will lead to less stability then say a Jetta, and that is true of all small SUVs. The Ford Escape is rated in the same 3500 pound range with the 2.0L Ecoboost if you really want a 4 cylinder.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Do you already own the Rav4, or are you shopping for a tow vehicle as well?

The previous version of Rav4, the type with the spare tire on the back, had a 3500 lb tow rating (properly equipped) with the very capable 3.5L V6. I could be wrong but I think the 4 cylinder version was rated for 1500 lbs, same as the newer model. The V6 could tow something like a 16' Scamp or Casita, at around 2500 lbs loaded, but the I-4 has 100 less HP and about 60 ft-lbs less torque, so it will struggle on the grades. I see you're in WA, so you probably would be towing up some steep grades, right? The 4-banger could tow a 13' Scamp/Casita, but you will not want to push it hard on those grades. Realize that a non-turbo engine will lose about 2-3% of its power for every 1000' of elevation, too. You would be towing right at the limit even with the trailer loaded lightly. I don't think you will be very happy with the performance. If you were traveling in the flatlands it would be a different story.

I used to own a similar trailer, a 17' Burro, which I towed from OK through the Rockies to Zion NP and back, with the same 3.5L V6 in a Highlander. It handled the 2200 lb. Burro decently well, but I definitely didn't set any speed records. Even with a 13'er I would strongly favor the V6 over the I-4.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your talking about a small fiberglass teardrop style camper you should be fine. The stand up trailers like a Scamp or a Casita may be doable but you will really need to pay attention to ratings and what not.

I pulled 3000 lbs with my 4 cal Kia Sorento but it had about 200 HP. Worked like a champ,

What year RAV4?

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not at all. Keep the trailer GVWR within the tow rating for best results.
Don't expect to also load the RAV4 to the very max before you hitch the trailer.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Why would you want to do this? Save money, gas? Don't want a "big" vehicle?
A small vehicle and engine worked at or above it's design limits will generally lead a shorter life. Fuel consumed will be similar if not more than a larger engine not working as hard.
Counting every pound when you pack to go on a trip is not fun. Neither is telling your friends or family they can't come along because you don't have the capacity. Are you aware that a vehicle's tow rating decreases as you add weight to the vehicle. If a 4 cyl. RAV is rated to pull 1,500 pounds that's likely an empty one. If you put 500 pounds of people, pets, and gear in the RAV your tow capacity is likely only 1,000. However, the new SAE ratings may be changing how tow ratings are computed.
In my opinion towing with something like that will leave you going slow up the hills, worried about packing, not saving any gas, and wearing the parts out fast.