cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

when is weight distribution hitch required

rmgozia
Explorer
Explorer
How do I decide when I need a weight distribution hitch?
22 REPLIES 22

Shavano
Explorer
Explorer
Topic was answered, amid way too many arguments.

Thread closed

'15 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD
'18 Forest River Avenger :C "Dolci"
Kipor KGE3500Ti

CHECK OUT THE RV.NET BLOGS!!

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2

Well said!

And very informative for new RVer's.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
So, did the Superduty need a WD hitch or sway control or did he need to load his trailer properly and tow it at a reasonable speed? If I had a nickel for every OTR truck that passed us creating a bow wave and then turbulence behind over the Christmas vacation to Alabama and back, I could have paid for my gas with the collection.
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, but my thinking was quite contrary. A 250 is a great tow vehicle and much more capable than my lowly 1/2 ton. However, the capability of the truck did not prevent the accident. It's possible that the driver was distracted or there was some mechanical failure, but it appears more like a textbook victim of the bow wave effect. All of the signs are there.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
proxim2020 wrote:
This Super Duty looks pretty capable.-250

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INyiMA3hfto

From that, you determined that F-250's make lousy tow vehicles? You are sure that the driver did not reach down for his cell phone or some mechanical failure did not occur? Amazing.

Who said F-250's make lousy tow vehicles? Maybe I missed that post. You seem to take everything so personal Tom.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
proxim2020 wrote:
This Super Duty looks pretty capable.-250

From that, you determined that F-250's make lousy tow vehicles? You are sure that the driver did not reach down for his cell phone or some mechanical failure did not occur? Amazing.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
This Super Duty looks pretty capable.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
We see many 60' manufactured homes rolling down the interstates here in the southeast being towed by a very stout although very short tow vehicle with no WD and no sway control.
If you happen to be at an RV dealership when a new TT arrives, you'll notice no WD or sway control. At least that's been my experience.
With Intrepid Boats built just a few blocks away, I get to see a lot of brand new boats up to 47.5' trailered to the Park Blvd boat ramps in Seminole Fl for sea trials. It's a beautiful sight to see. And no WD or sway control.
Same with towed construction equipment. Only in the RV world is WD and sway control part of the uniform. Although my Reese HP trunion IS a manly looking work of art. :B

Community Alumni
Not applicable
TomG2 wrote:

Asking a bunch of RVnet members is your best bet. Don't rely on the engineers that designed and built your tow vehicle. GM engineers in particular have blown the Front Axle Restoration fears clear out of the water with their Silverado series of pickups.

That stuff dates back to the days when we used big old softly sprung sedans and station wagons to tow our campers. Today's modern well engineered pickups are totally different animals. That is not to say that the rear suspension cannot be overloaded, because it can be. Better to purchase an adequate tow vehicle rather than hope some magic hitch is going to compensate for being over payload.

A vehicle can be engineered to not require a WDH, however, this isn't guarantee of the best user experience. Moving up a few pickup classes does not magically cancel out the forces involved with towing. All of those dynamic forces and Newton Laws aren't going anywhere. This is why people, some even in this thread, report a more pleasurable experience while using a WHD with a very capable vehicle. So while an engineer has designed a truck to not fall apart when loaded, that doesn't change the fact that you'll get the best experience when weights are balanced across all axles and dynamic forces are restrained. We get it, you're anti-WDH and don't see any benefits. You don't have to post one of these rants in every WDH thread.

colliehauler
Explorer
Explorer
Cobra21 wrote:
Rbertalotto wrote:
I might be able to add something to this conversation. I recently bought a 19' toy hauler. Using my "heavy duty" Dodge 2500 Diesel with air bags and Big Whig rear sway bar, I r
Towed the trailer without a WDH for a year. No issues, no headlights in the trees. But on a whim, and wanting another gadget I bought a Load Equalizer hitch with built in sway control. Huge difference. Much smoother ride. Less bouncing. More control changing lanes. Huge improvement.
The trailer, loaded is only 7000 pounds and tongue weight is only 1000 pounds. Easily handled by the truck. But the WDH makes the trailer and the TV one homogeneous unit.

This is true...whether you need it or not, it changes your ride from an old pickup to a Cadillac.

Brian
I will agree with both of you. Towing it just rides and drives better and I use a 1 ton.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
When you decide to be more safe...for yourself, your family and me....steering, braking...control.

My 2016 Ford Edge came with a Class II (3,500 lbs) 2" receiver. I am happy about this (bike rack plugs in), but if I was hauling over 3,000 lbs I would like get a weight distribution hitch and maybe electric brakes on the trailer for the above reasons.

The real answer is what the owner's manual says and how far does the hitch ball drop from fully unloaded to fully loaded, vehicle and trailer. Anything >3"-4", get the weight distribution hitch.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
rmgozia wrote:
How do I decide when I need a weight distribution hitch?

Asking a bunch of RVnet members is your best bet. Don't rely on the engineers that designed and built your tow vehicle. GM engineers in particular have blown the Front Axle Restoration fears clear out of the water with their Silverado series of pickups.

That stuff dates back to the days when we used big old softly sprung sedans and station wagons to tow our campers. Today's modern well engineered pickups are totally different animals. That is not to say that the rear suspension cannot be overloaded, because it can be. Better to purchase an adequate tow vehicle rather than hope some magic hitch is going to compensate for being over payload.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
When you hang the tongue weight on your rear end, it adds that amount of weight to your rear axle, and takes a large percentage of that amount from your front axle. Like a see-saw.

If you have too much lost weight on your front axle, the slightest motions (could be subconscious hand movement from breathing) on the steering wheel, bow waves from big rigs, side winds, etc, can cause steering control issues. Steering control issues will cause trailer sway, which intensifies steering control issues. The primary purpose of a weight distribution hitch is to restore some, or all, of that lost front axle weight.

In addition to WDH requirements, the vehicles owners manual will also tell you a percentage of recommended weight restoration on the front axle.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our first travel trailer in '94, a 21' Aljo with advertised 450 lb tongue weight, towed with our '94 F150, the dealer set us up with WD hitch with a long draw bar. The ride was stiff and steering was squirly. I tried different links on the chains, a shorter draw bar, and finally a standard ball mount with no WD. It towed like a champ and I sold the WD hitch.
Four 5th wheels later we're back to a TT. The reciever on our F250 is rated for 650 lb non WD. Tongue weight on our new TT is advertised at 700 lbs. Probably 850~lbs loaded to go. I bought a Reese HP trunion style hitch to satisfy the rating of the receiver more than anything. If I had an F350 with it's 850 lb rated for non WD tongue weight. I would have tried the standard ball mount first like the truck used that delivered it to the dealership.
So receiver ratings first, then if you feel it needs a little lift.