cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Key West info request

Lakegirl
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning a trip to Key West Florida. I have looked at places to set up our 35foot Motorhome, but am getting confused as to where the best location is for us to set up for 3 nights. Has anyone been there with recommendations? I wouldn't mind being a little away from key west, as we have a toad.
20 REPLIES 20

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
At MM 33 is Big Pine Key Fishing Lodge. A nice campground and actually one of the cheapest in the Keys. Also Bahia Honda State Park.

C20
Explorer
Explorer
You'll enjoy Boyds. We stay there every year for about 2 weeks at the end of March. Very friendly staff and owners. The only downsides are that it's expensive and packed in pretty close. private me if you have any questions about the area or need a good charter boat recommendation .
2017 Newmar Essex
97 Jeep Wrangler
16 HD CVO Street glide
2015 Challenger Hellcat
2021 Hellcat Durango
2020 ram 2500 Cummins

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Back around 2006 we stayed at the SUGARLOAF KEY KOA. Had a great time there. Expensive then, I don't have any idea what the prices are now. Packed in like sardines, just enough room to open my awning and slideout (inches apart) but the swimming was good, the pool delightful and an on-site bar with soft mellow entertainment. On their TV, we watched a good snowstorm hit beautiful downtown NJ...and had another drink to celebrate. Were there 3 days. DEFINITELY advise to get reservations no matter where you choose to stay. Around 130 miles or so from Miami, there is only one road in and one road out. You'll want to know you have somewhere to stay.
15 miles from Key West, we had no problem parking our "toad" and toured the island. Don't miss the sunset and street entertainers.

beagles7278
Explorer
Explorer
tropical36 wrote:
Executive wrote:
FYI We LOVE Bluewater Key. Close to everything and great sites. If you decide to go there, know there are TWO booking sites..Bluewaterkey.COM and Bluewaterkey.NET. .COM is the OFFICIAL website. Sites start at $100/night and go up from there. .NET is the off shoot because of some in-house disagreements. Rates thru .NET start at $75/night. The sites are the same.....Dennis

Thanks for that info and didn't know of the difference when we last booked for a stay, but just checked the sites and found that .com was the most reasonable.
Don't know if you might have gotten them backwards or if I'm missing something here.

I booked through the .com site for Dec 2017. Rates were cheaper and .NET was not accepting reservation until April. They said when they did open up reservations the monthly reservations would get priority.

Looking forward to it, this will our first time to the Keys.
2013 Newmar Canyon Star 3940
2017 Jeep Wrangler

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
wvabeer wrote:
The county and state parks are the cheapest by far. But they may be full. I cannot see paying $100 a night or more to camp might as well get a hotel. make a reservation by phone, I do.

Figure on $350+ per night for a hotel in KW.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
The county and state parks are the cheapest by far. But they may be full. I cannot see paying $100 a night or more to camp might as well get a hotel. make a reservation by phone, I do.
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:
FYI We LOVE Bluewater Key. Close to everything and great sites. If you decide to go there, know there are TWO booking sites..Bluewaterkey.COM and Bluewaterkey.NET. .COM is the OFFICIAL website. Sites start at $100/night and go up from there. .NET is the off shoot because of some in-house disagreements. Rates thru .NET start at $75/night. The sites are the same.....Dennis

Thanks for that info and didn't know of the difference when we last booked for a stay, but just checked the sites and found that .com was the most reasonable.
Don't know if you might have gotten them backwards or if I'm missing something here.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Lakegirl wrote:
We are planning a trip to Key West Florida. I have looked at places to set up our 35foot Motorhome, but am getting confused as to where the best location is for us to set up for 3 nights. Has anyone been there with recommendations? I wouldn't mind being a little away from key west, as we have a toad.

I guess you're aware that this is prime time, so sites are at a premium and not like they're any kind of a bargain, even in the off season.
Anyway, one of the best and not far from KW, is Bluewater Key at approx. mile marker 14 and the city limits are about 10 miles to the south, with marker 1 being at the end of the line, obviously.
Then there's Sunshine Key with a 40 mile drive, not so fancy, but at a much better price. This is an Encore resort and marina.
There are no RV parks on Key West itself, but right over the bridge on Scott Island, you'll find two, I believe and Boyd's will be one of them. It's expensive as well, along with pretty tight quarters, but just 5 miles or so from Sunset pier and there's a bus that stops across the street that eliminates the driving and would be parking expense.
On edit, I see you you have chosen Boyd's. While there and going up and down the road, you might want to check out the others, for a possible return trip.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Klueck
Explorer
Explorer
I know you found a site, but for future reference there is another place on Cudjoe Key at Milemarker 23. It's called Venture Out Resort. They are all privately owned lots and in a mixed used community but it's a nice resort with all the amenities. Some sites are waterfront, some canals and some dry lots. It's a gated community and since privately owned you have to go thru a Realtor or the owner directly. We own a site there and have it thru Dolberry Realty.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

Thanks for the info. I knew there were two ways to rent but I had no idea how to access them.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

mc_cc
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will enjoy being at Boyd's. Good choice. It is still cramped feeling, but that is what get if you want to experience Key West conveniently. We did enjoy their pool.
Mark

Lakegirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who replied. After numerous phone calls and searches, we have reservations at Boyd's. We are excited!

mvpmich
Explorer
Explorer
Bluewater Key is great but normally full. When it is we use Sugarloaf Key / Key West KOA Holiday. Not too far away and there's a nice bar/restaurant across the road that you can walk to.
mvpmich
2012 Sportscoach Cross Country 385 DS
Freightliner XCR w/ Cummins ISB 6.7L 340 hp
2009 Saturn Vue, Blue Ox Alpha, RVi Brake 2

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is another place I have never been too haha... Google Maps shows where all of the RV Campgrounds are located...

Back in my DOD Electronic System working days it was always best for the working crews to find hotels on the main land and drive the keys to work everyday...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS