cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

August 21, 2017 Solar Eclipse - any tips

campersuzid
Explorer
Explorer
Getting questions from readers of forestcamping.com about the 8/21/17 solar eclipse. The swath where you'll see a total eclipse passes thru at least a dozen national forests and one grassland. Should be awesome but I have little knowledge of such an event. Can you provide some thoughts, tips, or suggestions I can pass on to forestcamping.com readers? Thank you.
45 REPLIES 45

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
MidWestMama wrote:
I'll be out in the middle of nowhere in the Nebraska Sandhills.

Outstanding ... now that's the way to do it!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

MidWestMama
Explorer
Explorer
fanrgs wrote:
Incidentally, every campground and RV park in western Nebraska is filled to capacity for the night of August 20.

Newbie here...

Some of the smaller towns in Nebraska are just starting to prepare for the Eclipse. If you look, there are still a lot of options available that are super affordable. For example, Hyannis, NE is expecting 2 minutes 19 seconds of totality and has some accommodations available with options for hook-ups, and space for camping. I think they are advertising at https://www.sandhillsareachamber.com/2017-solar-eclipse Just an hour south is a great lake for camping, fishing and boating-Lake McConaughy for the weekend before and days afterwards.

Best of luck and hope you all find great locations to view the Eclipse!! I'll be out in the middle of nowhere in the Nebraska Sandhills. 🙂

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Some astronomers in Denver have arranged a one-day bus trip to Nebraska for the eclipse. The total right now is 17 buses with 55 passengers each and the group is trying to find more buses for those on the waiting list. Not Rvers, but enough people to make the group one of the largest "communities" in western Nebraska!

Incidentally, every campground and RV park in western Nebraska is filled to capacity for the night of August 20.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

EsoxLucius
Explorer
Explorer
Bring your pocket book.
2013 LTV Unity MB Theater Seats
635 watts solar panels, 440 AH batteries, BlueSky Solar Boost 3024iL & IPN-Pro Remote, Magnum MS2000 & ME-RC50 remote
Koni Shocks F & R, Hellwig 7254, SumoSprings F & R
2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox Aladdin/Patriot

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:
Sarvi wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

P.S. We also just figured out that an event called Oregon Eclipse 2017 is going to be just 5 to 10 miles away from us while we're watching the eclipse. 20,000 people, live music (100 plus bands/multiple stages), art installations, etc. Imagine an event like Burning Man.

Where?

Big Summit Prairie in the Ochoco Mountains.

oregoneclipse2017.com

That looks pretty neat.

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sarvi wrote:
StarkNaked wrote:

P.S. We also just figured out that an event called Oregon Eclipse 2017 is going to be just 5 to 10 miles away from us while we're watching the eclipse. 20,000 people, live music (100 plus bands/multiple stages), art installations, etc. Imagine an event like Burning Man.

Where?

Big Summit Prairie in the Ochoco Mountains.

oregoneclipse2017.com

Sarvi
Explorer
Explorer
StarkNaked wrote:

Where?

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Oregon State Parks released 1000 more temporary campsites for the eclipse this morning at 8AM. All are three day minimum. Some in totality, some outside.

Every campground I checked at 9AM when I found out about the sale was already sold out.

Also there are land owners near where we are camping that are selling three day dry camping in a hay field for $300 to $500.

austingta
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, I have to fly to Kansas City and then drive a little north to see it. But I'm going!
Frank Brooks Austin TX
2018 F 150 King Ranch max tow package with 3.55 gears
Published towing weight limit 13200
Payload per sticker 1464

StarkNaked
Explorer II
Explorer II
Link for weather cloud cover odds in you area.

http://eclipsophile.com/americas-eclipse/

Central/eastern Oregon look to be some of the best odds. I'll be in the Ochoco Mountains. And hoping for clear skies!!!

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pat, thanks for those links -- and that video is both encouraging and funny! That lady sounds like she is having the time of her life.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a video of the 1991 eclipse that was taken north of us about a third of the way to La Paz. Turn up the sound and listen to the excitement of the people (this is why I suggest that everyone have, at least, an audio recording of the event). Looking at their insert video, I do vaguely remember seeing the "sunset" horizon but, as I said, it was only to the south so probably not that interesting to us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XhpToLX6KQ

ETA: At 5:40 you hear them say the bats are coming out. 😉

Pat
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

LenSatic
Explorer
Explorer
profdant139 wrote:
It sounds as though I have some homework to do -- I was planning just to show up and look up during totality. But I think that if I knew what to expect (the beads and the rings and the second and third contacts), I would get more out of it than a vacant stare would provide!

Newbie question -- can the corona be seen with the unaided eye? Are there always flares, too, or are those rare?

Here's a beginners guide: https://www.exploratorium.edu/eclipse/what-to-see-during-eclipse

The corona is very visible and, given the quiet activity on the Sun at the moment, may be the only thing we do see besides the Bailey's Beads and Diamond Ring.

Here are two more pix, sunspots and corona (and more scanner dust spots):

Click For Full-Size Image.

As for your sunset question, we were on the beach seen in this photo just below the hill at top-center and we were facing where this camera is. So the only horizon we had was to the south over the ocean.

Pat
2008 Casita SD 17
2006 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
2009 Akita Inu
1956 Wife
1950 LenSatic

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
It sounds as though I have some homework to do -- I was planning just to show up and look up during totality. But I think that if I knew what to expect (the beads and the rings and the second and third contacts), I would get more out of it than a vacant stare would provide!

Newbie question -- can the corona be seen with the unaided eye? Are there always flares, too, or are those rare?
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."