cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Small Dome Satellite

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
I asked this question in another forum and got very minimal info so I'll try here.

I am looking for the satellite brand of choice that would meet the following criteria:

Very small to fit the limited footprint of a Bvan Roof

Must be HD, a Dome, compatible with Dish Network and permanently mounted to the roof

Folks what would be your choice.
15 REPLIES 15

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"you can unhook it from the bracket and take it out and set it on the picnic table"

But then you couldn't listen to it.

Bud

bfast54
Explorer
Explorer
For what it's worth I've Had The VuCube for about 6 years now it's almost the exact same thing as the dish Tailgater

I've been happy with it obviously you have to have it in an area where it has a clear view of the satellite---- and I would do it was suggested with the others get the kit to quote permanently unquote install it on your van and then if you're in the area where you doing that have an BLOCKAGE of the trees ---you can unhook it from the bracket and take it out and set it on the picnic table.

I just set it on the ground and works just fine
2000 Ford SuperDuty F-350 Powerstroke,Dually.C.C.,.The Tow Monster
2005 Open Road 357RLDS
Prodigy Brake Controller:B
Honda EU3000is Generator
Raytek ,,Garmin 7735/GPS
Doran Mfg-RV360-TPMS
B&W/Companion

Rally's attended so far-21

My Blog
Good Sam Member

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
For those that only need one Dish receiver, the same X1 is $100+ less, $299. Winegard calls it the Dish Playmaker.

Bud

TriGlider
Explorer
Explorer
We're very happy with th X1. One thing you will find with it mounted to the roof is you will be able to hear the motors moving the dish. Not bad but it's there. Dish by default has their receivers refresh programming info and updates at 3:00am, which might wake you a little early in the morning. Use the menu programming to change that to 6:00 so that's a non event now.
I also have an X2 that we can run out 50 ' or so if we are tucked in under the trees and can't get a signal with the X1. We don't use it often but it's nice to have when you need it.

Alan
16 Navion M in Ga
Alan

2016 Itasca Navion 24M
2017 Honda Fit Toad
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide
"I Only ride on Saturdays... All 6 of them"

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
TriGlider wrote:
We put a Winegard X1 on our 2016 Navion. Everything bought on Amazon. Easy install. You have to also order the Roof Mounting kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA-2035-Pathway-Black-Antenna/dp/B00HT7I4QY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...

Thanks Triglider good info . I think that is what I'll be getting as well. I assume you are satisfied with the performance.

TriGlider
Explorer
Explorer
We put a Winegard X1 on our 2016 Navion. Everything bought on Amazon. Easy install. You have to also order the Roof Mounting kit for it.

https://www.amazon.com/Winegard-PA-2035-Pathway-Black-Antenna/dp/B00HT7I4QY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1...
Alan

2016 Itasca Navion 24M
2017 Honda Fit Toad
2011 Harley Davidson TriGlide
"I Only ride on Saturdays... All 6 of them"

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
karlstream wrote:
Hmmmm...."The smallest ones are about 14" in circumference"

Do they really make them that small?

karl
\

Yes, and they do it all. The reason for not having 2 antenna's is cost, or you can't place anything on top, or you can't place something else 14" in diameter and 14 inches long inside.

If one only and you can place it inside, it does not go on top. It is too simple, easy, etc. to just place it on the ground, use a slide on coax thing with no screwing anything. You can be under a tree.

If you only need SD, looks pretty good on an HD TV - DVD quality. And you purchased a Stat Com antenna, well they are size of a laptop! Long gone though.

Hope this explains some of it.

Bud

gregmchugh
Explorer
Explorer
I think you will find the small ones are around 14" in diameter at the base, circumference would be about 3.14 x 14"...

karlstream
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmmm...."The smallest ones are about 14" in circumference"

Do they really make them that small?

karl

jrobe
Explorer
Explorer
It doesn't take long to research permanent dome satellite dishes for RV's. There are only 3 companies that make them - KVH, Winegard and King. If you want HD, the only option is DISH. Then you have to choose between "stationary" vs "in-motion." This will narrow it down to only a couple choices. None of them are 6-8" in circumference. The smallest ones are about 14" in circumference and 13-14" tall and they need some clearance space away from other objects like the AC unit.

BudJ
Explorer
Explorer
"Does anyone know the brand satellite that has a very small circumference as in 6 to 8 inches and about the same height? I have seen em just don't know the brand.

I also want to hear about that one.

Bud

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
BudJ wrote:
Hi big whitey,

You're probably somewhat knowledgeable about this subject?

You have no need to park in the shade, under a tree and watch HD?

Small? Does that mean height? Diameter? Stealthiness?

Thanks.

Bud

Thanks for responding Bud. Simply put I am ONLY concerned about the best satellite available that meets the criteria stated in my post: smallest best performing BRAND that is HD,compatible with Dish Network and can be fixed to the roof.

Thanks

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
My choice would be a Dish Tailgater Portable antenna and permanently mount it to your RV. It only weighs 10 lbs and if you setup the mount so it can be attached to the RV or easily removed (unlocked) you would be able to move the antenna away from obstructions

Finally after 2 days and two different forums asking I finally get "A " recommendation.
Been like pulling eye teeth to get an answer to a straight forward question.

Thanks for your input Bear !!!

Does anyone know the brand satellite that has a very small circumference as in 6 to 8 inches and about the same height? I have seen em just don't know the brand.

Thanks all.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My choice would be a Dish Tailgater Portable antenna and permanently mount it to your RV. It only weighs 10 lbs and if you setup the mount so it can be attached to the RV or easily removed (unlocked) you would be able to move the antenna away from obstructions