cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Frequent border crossing and importing Mexican craft items?

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Everyone,

Several years ago my Wife and I built a "Pueblo" style house in AZ and wanted to decorate with a rustic Mexican theme.

As the house neared completion we went on a couple of shopping spree's in Ensenada and Rosarito. We LOADED my 1 ton truck with all sorts of wonderful stuff.

I expected to spend $$ on duty but with the amazing bargains we found I was not too concerned. It turned out that you can bring $2000 worth of (purchase price) without any duty. WooHoo!!

One of the influences on our design decisions was the handful of vendors that I saw at some shows that I displayed at that were selling Mexican crafts that tickled my fancy.

Fast forward some years and we are looking at going out on the road full time or nearly so. We need to have some supplemental income while we travel. I am considering making trips to Mexico to enjoy all of the things that we love about visiting there and do some shopping on my way back to purchase goods for resale at various shows as we travel back in the US.

We had already been considering getting back to doing shows but wanted to change it up significantly. I think the Mexican art / craft items may be a great avenue to supplement my woodcraft items.

What I DON'T know: What complications may arise from me crossing the border 4-5 times a year? Has anyone had any particular problems openly importing craft items?

I am not looking to build an empire just to feed the kitty.

Thoughts?

Thanks Everyone.

S.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's
2002 Forest River 36 5th Wheel (staying home)
1992 Jayco 29 5th Wheel (Mexico veteran & headed back)
2002 "faux" Wanderlodge 40' My new toy....
9 REPLIES 9

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:

Yes sir and your right on target and thank you for sharing.

I too am quite familiar with the ways of law enforcement as I "were" one in a large Southern California city for more years that I care to count.
I have since left the madness of CA and now have traded a Bud for a Tecate beer and frozen fish for fresh caught on the shores of the Sea of Cortez in Baja Sur Mexico.

Saludos to you.

I spent some years living in the madness that is Orange County. I understand.

I hope to follow you later this year. If I can make it play we will be full time in our new rig by September and in Mexico by January.
2004.5 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, NV5400, 5" turbo back stainless exhaust, Edger programmer & 22.5 Alcoa's

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
clarkster wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
clarkster wrote:
The Customs agents and their intelligence capabilities know more about your travels than you might think.

The normal Q they ask is "What are you bringing back from Mexico"
I see a couple of ways to handle this.....you can either say "some trinkets" or say "some decorative items for our home" Both of which is not lying.

CBP takes a very dim view of lies and that alone will get you in more trouble than you can imagine.

Or you can be very upfront and state you have some items that you intend on reselling as part of an ongoing business. Do not volunteer information beyond what is asked of you.
Having a receipt for these items would be helpful and if not, declare the total value of what you paid. These border agents have seen it all before....they know the price of some Talavera tile items and Mexican blankets.

After the deduction of what is allowed in value terms, the duty you may pay is far and away a better choice than trying to fool those agents.
They have heard every story before and can spot a shaky story a mile down the road.

If you go in knowing you're on the up and up and plan to declare those goods, it will save you untold grief worrying if your going to get caught, as you approach the line.

It took me a few "life experiences" to learn those lessons. Perhaps I may tell a version of the truth that is supportive of the outcome I want but NEVER lie to the folks at the border.

I have had CBP give me a pass on duty that I should have been charged simply because I was up front and honest.

On another occasion I tried to be sneaky crossing a border with unapproved items got me a "time out" in a room with the lock on the wrong side of the door.

Indeed sir, and it was never my intent to either say you lie or suggest a lie as a way to get out of whatever.
Please pardon me if you got that inference.

Someone once said "the truth will set you free" certainly would apply when dealing with anyone, and double down on that when it's a person who has a gun and can ruin your life in a nanosecond.

Quite the opposite.

I was agreeing with you that lying to (any) border folks is a bad idea and sharing a bit about how I learned that.

I have worked with & around law enforcement enough to understand that they have heard all of the excuses and lies before.

Yes sir and your right on target and thank you for sharing.

I too am quite familiar with the ways of law enforcement as I "were" one in a large Southern California city for more years that I care to count.
I have since left the madness of CA and now have traded a Bud for a Tecate beer and frozen fish for fresh caught on the shores of the Sea of Cortez in Baja Sur Mexico.

Saludos to you.
2006 Dodge 2500 4x4 Laramie crew CTD
2017 Jayco Flight SLX Baja package

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:
PNW_Steve wrote:
clarkster wrote:
The Customs agents and their intelligence capabilities know more about your travels than you might think.

I see a couple of ways to handle this.....you can either say "some trinkets" or say "some decorative items for our home" Both of which is not lying.

CBP takes a very dim view of lies and that alone will get you in more trouble than you can imagine.

Or you can be very upfront and state you have some items that you intend on reselling as part of an ongoing business. Do not volunteer information beyond what is asked of you.
Having a receipt for these items would be helpful and if not, declare the total value of what you paid. These border agents have seen it all before....they know the price of some Talavera tile items and Mexican blankets.

After the deduction of what is allowed in value terms, the duty you may pay is far and away a better choice than trying to fool those agents.
They have heard every story before and can spot a shaky story a mile down the road.

If you go in knowing you're on the up and up and plan to declare those goods, it will save you untold grief worrying if your going to get caught, as you approach the line.

It took me a few "life experiences" to learn those lessons. Perhaps I may tell a version of the truth that is supportive of the outcome I want but NEVER lie to the folks at the border.

I have had CBP give me a pass on duty that I should have been charged simply because I was up front and honest.

On another occasion I tried to be sneaky crossing a border with unapproved items got me a "time out" in a room with the lock on the wrong side of the door.

Indeed sir, and it was never my intent to either say you lie or suggest a lie as a way to get out of whatever.

Someone once said "the truth will set you free" certainly would apply when dealing with anyone, and double down on that when it's a person who has a gun and can ruin your life in a nanosecond.

Quite the opposite.

I was agreeing with you that lying to (any) border folks is a bad idea and sharing a bit about how I learned that.

I have worked with & around law enforcement enough to understand that they have heard all of the excuses and lies before.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer
PNW_Steve wrote:
clarkster wrote:

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
clarkster wrote:

Talleyho69
There is no exemption from duty for items imported for resale, even those of wood, handmade, etc. So, anything taken into the US for resale will have duty charged.

Also, do a LOT of homework. Admittedly we have made some nice money selling exactly the items you are referring to on eBay, but in some cases, people with connections with the artisans can undercut the prices very seriously.

clarkster
Explorer
Explorer

PNW_Steve
Explorer
Explorer
Talleyho69 wrote:
Boy, that's a tough one.

Legally, anything you take to the US for the purpose of reselling has to be declared and duty charged. That's what a customs broker will do for you.

Small quantities??? Depends. We have taken back items to sell on eBay. We make a point of having them well wrapped, and put away in the basement, closet, or just out of sight, but not "hidden." We have been careful not to have TOO much-stopped at 8 catrinas, we could pass them off as family gifts. Stopped at 80 yards of 8 kinds of Day of the Dead fabric, for sewing and quilting projects. That kind of thing. No cases of identical items.

Our license plate has a very long history of crossing the border, 36 years worth. It shows that we have never had an issue or attempted to enter with anything we shouldn't. That certainly helps. We also try not to use crossings where you are guaranteed to have to go to secondary in an RV like Tijuana and Nogales. It's just less wear and tear on ourselves, no matter what we are bringing back.

We haven't been questioned about any of our purchases, ever.

Thanks Talleyho,

I did check into the duty and there is a general exception for art/craft/handmade items that allows you to cross with up to $2000 worth and pay no duty. If I recall the duty on anything over $2000 was 15% or 20%.

We would be be bringing back a mix of items. Mostly small stuff.

I love the idea of going places like Oaxaca and connecting directly with the artisans. I think having pictures and stories about the artists involved brings an additional "flavor" to this sort of item.

Thanks for the tips on the border crossings. Those happen to be the only two crossings that I have driven across. What would be your preferred crossings?

Thanks again.

S.

Talleyho69
Boy, that's a tough one.

Legally, anything you take to the US for the purpose of reselling has to be declared and duty charged. That's what a customs broker will do for you.

Small quantities??? Depends. We have taken back items to sell on eBay. We make a point of having them well wrapped, and put away in the basement, closet, or just out of sight, but not "hidden." We have been careful not to have TOO much-stopped at 8 catrinas, we could pass them off as family gifts. Stopped at 80 yards of 8 kinds of Day of the Dead fabric, for sewing and quilting projects. That kind of thing. No cases of identical items.

Our license plate has a very long history of crossing the border, 36 years worth. It shows that we have never had an issue or attempted to enter with anything we shouldn't. That certainly helps. We also try not to use crossings where you are guaranteed to have to go to secondary in an RV like Tijuana and Nogales. It's just less wear and tear on ourselves, no matter what we are bringing back.

We haven't been questioned about any of our purchases, ever.