cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Hitting the road this summer...where to go first

ssands
Explorer
Explorer
We plan to retire in May and hit the road for, at least, a month or so. We live in Ohio. Just looking for suggestions where to go first. We have thought about New England or Nova Scotia.
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve,Sharyl and Cody
2014 Allegro Red
2015 Chevy Equinox
14 REPLIES 14

jnharley
Explorer
Explorer
Pick a place on your bucket list and head out. There is so much to see in the U.S.
2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

junmy3
Explorer
Explorer
The wife and I visited eastern Canada several years ago and lived it. I think I would pick there. There is lots to do and with the exchange rate what it is today it is a lot cheaper. Also Canada is celebrating its 150th birthday by not charging an entry fee into there national parks.
Jim & Junnie
2016 Jay Flight 27RLS

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
NYCgrrl wrote:
ssands wrote:
We plan to retire in May and hit the road for, at least, a month or so. We live in Ohio. Just looking for suggestions where to go first. We have thought about New England or Nova Scotia.

Good for you!
I can't speak of availability in Nova Scotia beyond the possibility that you'll need to make a reservation on the ferry but as far as NE is concerned start making your reservations NOW. Many prime spots are prolly already booked for June and at least some weeks of July.
Have fun out there and start gathering your free state and province tourist info:).

Don't need to go to Nova Scotia by ferry - - just a leisurely drive up through New Brunswick, making sure to stop and watch the Bay of Fundy 'retreat' one day and walk on the bottom of the bay. NB is easy to drive through on the way to Nova Scotia. Then spend a few weeks in NS, maybe some time on PEI, or if feeling really adventurous, take the ferry to Newfoundland or Labrador.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) ๐Ÿ™‚
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Since you live in Ohio, head north into Michigan on the west side. Definitely stop for a while around the Traverse City/Sleeping Bear Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore area and that whole peninsula... absolutely beautiful county. The head to Mackinaw City and do a day trip to Mackinac Island (yes, two different spellings). The cross the Mackinac bridge into the Upper Peninsula and head west to Wisconsin. Then make your way down Wisconsin and back to Ohio. One month isn't very long if you're retired. Try not to put a deadline on the trip and just GO!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Merrykalia wrote:

and then CT for a night.

See that?
I've spent a minimum of 2 weeks based in CT for the last 9 years and STILL have a few spots to visit w/i the state and it's neighbors. And yes seafood is the answer to any question asked:).

Were I only to have a month or two to visit this region........I'd figure out what my interests are and concentrate on that. Pre and Revolutionary history? Mass, CT, VT, and NY; fine art museums? CT, MA and NY. The amazing views? VT, NH, MA, RI, and upper NY.

I once did a side trip that concentrated on different styles of rock fences..and uhm trust me, there's a lot of variations to be found whilst seeing the Connecticut River Museum (Gosh, I wuvv that place! And the boat and steam train trips), the Peabody Museum (another GOTTA get back to place in New Haven), Dinosaur State Park, the farms and diners of North East CT; and city and historical life of New London.
Next trip, I plan to spend more time in the Mystic region so the man can visit the Nautilus and I can eat at few RoadFood places I missed. Still haven't visited the Nathan Hale haunts but I keep telling myself there is time;).

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I know a couple who absolutely love Newfoundland. They've gone there two or three times, I forget exactly, and they say they never get tired of it. Wide open spaces with low population, plenty of coastline with icebergs floating by, and they rave about the friendliness and helpfulness of the locals. It sounds like 1950s society, where people are trusting and invite you into their homes for tea or dinner when they only just met you. This couple would get invited to music gatherings, given moose meat, handed jars of jam, you name it. Quite a few of the roads are gravel, though, so it takes a while to get around that province.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

deeje1
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to the Southwest several times and a great place is in Moab,Utah. It is a good hub for the national parks nearby. The area really shows how diverse the Earth features can be.
There is much to see on the way out and back as well. I-44 to the southern route. Mid October is favorable weather if a little heat bothers you.
LTZ 6.2
Convince the young ones that you must work 6 days in order to rest 1.

Merrykalia
Explorer
Explorer
We have done the NE states a couple of times.

The first time, we headed from our home to DC and did the monuments and mall area, plus zoo for 3 days, then on to Baltimore for a day at the Inner Harbor of Baltimore, then the National Aquarium for another day. On to Hershey, PA for a chocolate factory tour and then the amusement park (had a 14 and 12 year old at the time), then on to NYC for 4 nights and then CT for a night. We headed on to Bar Harbor for 4 nights and took in all we could at Acadia National Park. We ate lobster and crab for most every meal and had a blast. We took a boat over to PEI for the day, then headed south to Boston for the 4th of July. I had always wanted to go. We did Salem and the Witch Museum, which was the highlight for the niece. After we finished up there, we headed back toward home with another night in a hotel before arriving back home. We were gone for 21 days and I think we covered about 4500 miles,

That was when we were younger and I wouldn't attempt all of that in 21 days anymore,but we sure did have a blast. We were also in a tent, but even in NYC (Liberty Harbor RV Park), it was fun. Now I have to have more creature comforts.
2017 Ford F350 Crew Cab 6.7L 4x4 DRW

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Nova Scotia is a wonderful destination with great scenery and activities, and it's very RV-friendly. This year would be a good one because Parks Canada has a free entrance pass promotion going for 2017. There are a lot of wonderful historic sites up there, and some wonderful campgrounds in the parks, too.

On the way up, why not swing out to the Maine coast? Lots of fabulous scenery, Acadia National Park, lighthouses, and plenty of lobsters (often you can order them steamed, plus side dishes, delivered right to your campsite).

WallynDiane
Explorer
Explorer
Here I see what I would do for a 30 trip.

Head east and see Frank Lloyd Wright's Fallingwater and the nearby Flight 93 Memorial.
Continue east and visit Gettysburg.
Head north and visit the Poconos.
Head north east and visit Cape Cod.
Head north and visit Acadia National Park
Head west and visit scenic ski areas in Vermont or New Hampshire.
Visit the Thousand Island area.
Visit the Rochester NY area.
Visit Niagara Falls
Head east for western Finger Lakes visit
Visit Chautauqua in western NY - see Chautauqua Institution.
Head home.

Stay 2-3 day if you can in each site, more or less based on interests.

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
North in Summer, south in winter. That's what I plan on doing. Once you get up to NE, if you think you want to go to NS, go for it. I don't think you'll go wrong by just heading in a general direction, and enjoy as you go. That's the total beauty of being retired and not being tied to a schedule. Just go when you want, where you want.

It all depends on what you want to see, what we want to see (or want you to see) is immaterial and irrelevant.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

ssands
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
To get started, you could take this entire year hitting just the State Parks in Ohio.

Really, if you have the rest of your life, drive 50 miles, find a campground and stop. Stay a week and then move another 50 miles.

From Ohio, I think I'd head toward the New England area, then come down the Eastern Sea Board, work my way down to Southern Florida (Atlantic Ocean side), and then come back north on the Gulf side. Follow the Appalachian Mountains back North and head over toward Michigan, come around upper Michigan and then turn South again following the Mississippi. Once you hit the Gulf of Mexico again, head west a couple hundred miles and head North again. Head toward Montana then cut over toward Washington State and turn South via California. Go South to Mexico. This should take you about 5 or 6 years. Go North during the Summer, go South during the winter and keep zig-zagging across the country. Time is no limit.

LOL..... Sounds like fun but I don't think I can talk Momma into that one. ๐Ÿ™‚
"My reading of history convinces me that most bad government
results from too much government."

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."
--Thomas Jefferson

Steve,Sharyl and Cody
2014 Allegro Red
2015 Chevy Equinox

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
ssands wrote:

Good for you!
I can't speak of availability in Nova Scotia beyond the possibility that you'll need to make a reservation on the ferry but as far as NE is concerned start making your reservations NOW. Many prime spots are prolly already booked for June and at least some weeks of July.
Have fun out there and start gathering your free state and province tourist info:).

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
To get started, you could take this entire year hitting just the State Parks in Ohio.

Really, if you have the rest of your life, drive 50 miles, find a campground and stop. Stay a week and then move another 50 miles.

From Ohio, I think I'd head toward the New England area, then come down the Eastern Sea Board, work my way down to Southern Florida (Atlantic Ocean side), and then come back north on the Gulf side. Follow the Appalachian Mountains back North and head over toward Michigan, come around upper Michigan and then turn South again following the Mississippi. Once you hit the Gulf of Mexico again, head west a couple hundred miles and head North again. Head toward Montana then cut over toward Washington State and turn South via California. Go South to Mexico. This should take you about 5 or 6 years. Go North during the Summer, go South during the winter and keep zig-zagging across the country. Time is no limit.