cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scooter carrier

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anxiously awaiting the completion date for our Phoenix Cruiser (2100) and trying to get things together. We currently have a relatively new Razor Metro Scooter which we use while in the various state parks to go to the store for bread, fishing tags, to the fishing hole, whatever. On our previous B we had a cargo carrier with a fabricated bike holder to carry the scooter. It extended about 3 feet total beyond the B. Our new unit is larger and I don't want, at least now, any excess cargo hanging low off the rear of the unit.
Does any one use anything close to this to scoot about the campground? And if so how do you carry it? I am trying to find a bike rack I could adapt if need be to: a. fit the scooter, b. get the scooter higher off the ground and c. be closer to the RV (not stick out as much).
Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but want to use the scooter and also want to minimize the RV total length.
The scooter is really nice for our nightly jaunts around the campground after supper, as the DW has breathing issues and wants to go with me on my walks.

Thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
7 REPLIES 7

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
We have used a 40b aluminum hitch rack to carry our 188lb Honda Trail 90. These are sold on Ebay for about $100. That should be more than sturdy enough to carry your electric scooter. It comes with a ramp that stores on the rack. Your scooter looks small enough to fit in the cargo bay with some disassembly.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tal/IL wrote:
I have a Honda Spree I haul on the back bumper with one of these racks that you can get many places for $75 - $150. Capacity is 500 lbs and my Spree is less than 100. I have put a small smoker on with it on occasion. Just goes in the hitch receiver.

I use this on my 30ft Cambria and the Honda Ruckus I carry is not noticeable. Using the Ruckus though I found that turning the ramp upside down works better to load as the bikes tires are fatter than the rail and they stick. i also had to weld a small piece in to prevent the bottoming out because of the short tires. I couldn't build this for what I paid for it and well worth the $$.Also I don't use a pin to hold it in the receiver but a nice nut and bolt. It doesn't rock that way.

suprz
Explorer
Explorer
We just got back from a 5300 mile cross country vacation with my wifes Suzuki Boulevard S40 on the back of our 31ft class c motorhome. Other than seeing it in the rear view camera, never felt it was there. Our hitch mounted carrier is rated for 650lbs. The hitch tongue weight is rated at 500lbs. We were fine. So a scooter like yours will be more than fine in a rear hitch carrier. (as long as your hitch is in good condition. no rust, damage,weight capacities...etc..class 3 rating minimum etc)
Proud father of a US Marine

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tal/Il, I don't need anything with a ramp, but thanks and great shot of the arch! Here's the scooter I have

and was looking for something that will carry the scooter but yet reduce the rear extension as much as possible. Almost am thinking more along the lines of something like this

Just eliminating the outer bike carrier parts. We will be driving an RV that is larger/longer than we have been used to and want to keep it a tight package. After all that's why we bought the small unit that we did.
But always open to suggestions/ideas.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Tal_IL
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Honda Spree I haul on the back bumper with one of these racks that you can get many places for $75 - $150. Capacity is 500 lbs and my Spree is less than 100. I have put a small smoker on with it on occasion. Just goes in the hitch receiver.

35 miles from Normal, IL. As close to normal as I'll ever be.

2006 Country Coach Inspire Genoa 40ft

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Might want to carry the scooter up front. You probably have enough FAWR from that. And if not, you can upgrade your springs up to 5,000 pounds. Bolt-on front receivers area cheap. I bought my aluminum motorcycle rack from DiscountRamps.com and it was priced right, its sturdy, and doesn't weigh too much. I did add extra lights to the rack (driving lights, marker, and turn signal). I have no problem with engine cooling, and the headlights are barely blocked. Just a shadow from one tire, and that aux driving light fills the shadow in just fine.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

samven1
Explorer
Explorer
Your scooter is so light you might want to look at an aluminium motorcycle carrier from Harbor Freight. You may not need the ramp for loading and you can slide the 2" bar in as far as needed so that the handle bars will clear the back wall or the spare tire and mark the pin hole location. Then you or a friend could drill a new hole at that location. This will keep the bike closer, the carrier has built in tie down points and the aluminium carriers are very light but still plenty strong for your bike. http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-62837.html Dont believe the 400 lb rating but up to 300 they are great.
Sam
03 Dodge Ram 1500 QC LB Hemi
2015 Four Winds 22E Chevy