cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cat loose in the Trailer?

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
We've done a limited amount of traveling with our 18yo cat. He does ok, but if we feed him before hitting the road he doesn't seem to do well with the food.

So far we keep him in a cat carrier in the vehicle. I'm wondering if we should just leave him in the trailer where he would have his box and the couch and bed he's used to for sleeping.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X
9 REPLIES 9

lucy6194
Explorer
Explorer
Two of ours died in camper fire. Would never leave another animal loose in a camper. Either with us in the truck or home.

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you all use harnesses on your cats? I always believe in having something on the animal so you can grab it if something happens. Much easier than trying to grab a skinny appendage with painful spikes sticking out of it. ๐Ÿ™‚

I would suggest that no matter how your cat rides, etc., that you always have a carrier stored with you. Consider it an emergency item. A freaked out cat on a leash is much harder to handle than a freaked out dog on a leash.

For my parrot, I have his travel cage set up permanently in the RV. He is so much happier in it than in the carrier because he can see everything going on around him. It's secured in place so he and it won't get tossed around. But I ALWAYS have the carrier with us just in case. I normally only use it to move him between the house and the RV, but it's been used when the RV broke down, etc.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
We have a canopy shell over the P/Up bed as I tow a TT. The cat travels in the back of the Pu. She has her own bed, litter box, food, water. She sleeps most of the time. She loves it back there. Been doing it this way for years and several different cats
samsontdog:o:W

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Our cat gets car sick every time we take him with us, anywhere. It's very frustrating, because we want him with us. At first, we had 2 cats and each one was in their own carrier. One cat did fine, the second panicked so much, he got sick every time (both ends). No fun at all when you can't just pull over anywhere to clean up a mess.

We later found putting both cats together in the same carrier took care of the problem. Until the 2nd cat died and we were down to only 1 cat.

For a while, we stopped taking the cat with us. Then one day we let him ride (free range) in the camper. He did fine, several trips this way. Then one day, he got sick. What a mess!

So we had to find another alternative way to transport him.

An idea was born and it's worked great ever since.

That cat rides in the shower with his litter box. We put a towel on the floor of the shower and close cat and litter pan in. The cat uses the liter pan, often just lays down in it. (weird I know). But at least, we've never found vomit or poo or pee on the towel. It must be working! He seems to like the confined space.

Now, the last few times we traveled, we discovered that if we put him in the camper shower and lock him in for about the first 45 minutes of the trip, then bring him into the cab of the truck, and sits on the passenger's lap, he's perfectly content. This has now become our best way to transport him. If he gets sick, he always does it in the first 10 minutes of travel. So in the shower, if he did get sick, it's easy to clean up, and he has his litter box.

This works very, very well for us now. I have a wireless thermometer we put in the camper bathroom too. And in the warm weather we monitor the temperature pretty close when driving. When temps get to 90 degrees, we bring him into the cab of the truck. This is how we discovered, after he has his "round" of getting sick in the shower or uses the litter pan, it's out of his system, and then rides in the cab pretty good But he still freaks out if he's put in a carrier. We just can't do that any more. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
The issue I would have is heat. During the hotter months, a trailer can get very hot quickly. That would have to be carefully monitored.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
I have shocks. Bedroom is in front near air ride and air hitch. Her water doesn't even spill. Most of the time she appears as if she's been sleeping when we get where we're going.

I'm aware this is always a touchy subject.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

dockmasterdave
Explorer
Explorer
Most trailers have no shock absorbers.
It would have to be the ride from hell back there.
If the cat has motion sickness that could be a torture chamber.
I sure as hell wouldn't want to ride back there.
2014 F 150 ecoboost
2008 Chrysler Aspen
09 Amerilite 21 (modified)
2013 Bendron 14' enclosed cargo
2011 4x8 open cargo

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Mine rides in the 5er. She has the whole bedroom to herself, litter, food, and water. No confining and whining. She only tossed her cookies once.. months ago.

"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
We always traveled with our cat in the TT and then the 5th wheel. She had access to food, water and her kitty litter. She seemed to like it and we never had a problem with her. She usually stayed on our bed. Why don't you try a short trip and see how your cat does.
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen