cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alaska May 1st, north or south first?

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
We plan on being in Alaska about May 1st, only because we wont have the patience to wait any longer! We're retired and have all summer....would it be better to head to Valdez, Seward and Homer/ferry to Kodiak area first or Denali and Fairbanks area first? I'm wondering about weather, crowds?? Maybe there is an obvious answer......but I want to hear
about your experiences....lol....thanks
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton
15 REPLIES 15

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
May 1st with a slow drive up will probably be fine. You'll still see ice on the lakes and snow in the gullies, but if they get a real snow, it'll be gone quick. We leave May 1st from home, and will expect to see snow as we travel 600+ a day. We'll head to Valdez and know that Bayside RV park will be open as we have checked with the owners. We shrimp and fish, so the earlier the better... within reason.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
I think your timing is perfect. That is exactly what I did last year and everything was open prices had not raised yet (except the already robber baron prices in Canada for nearly everything)and there were no crowds...there were plenty of RVer's there none the less.

I would go to Skagway, Valdez, Seward and Homer First. These are astoundingly beautiful places that deserve plenty of time. Then head north. Also your chances of seeing Denali are greater in May than in June or later.

Oklahoma_Dan
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting info. on Alaska.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Glenda2014 wrote:
Ok...sorry....leaving Oklahoma May 1st....and mosey on up north in our 20ft. Creekside travel trailer....we usally drive a couple hundred mIles a day....boondocking during the week, campground over the weekend, stop early afternoon... thanks for the great advice

Well at that rate it'll take you 3 weeks to get there and Memorial Day will be right around the corner.
Barring an unusual spring time, even SE AK will still be in mud season until around June 1, however it will be warmer and more like spring in SE. I'd save the drive north until mid/late summer personally.

We drove up in mid May a few years ago when we moved up there.
The sights were still beautiful. Late enough that bears were out already. Seen a bunch on the drive up, compared to April when I didn't see any. But it didn't look like spring time much after we got thru central BC.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

tegu69
Explorer
Explorer
Ernest wrote:
gemert wrote:
We are going this summer also. Leaving FL April 1st and entering Canada June 1st. Only reservation are Big Bear (or is it Grizzly Bear?)at Denali for the 4th. See ya on the Rd. We have no other clues where or when we will be anywhere.

Would recommend Teklankia campground in the Denali park. It's about 35 mile in and requires a 3 day minimum stay. If you have a senior pass it will cost about $95 for 3 day including unlimited use of the bus.

You'll get to drive in and drive out saving at least 1.5 hours on the bus each way. As well as you can stop and see the wild life. We loved it.

Its my understanding that you can only drive in (you can stop along the way) and then out when your stay is over. DW wanted to stay at Teklankia this time, so we just reserved sites (going with two other rvs). Camping fee with senior pass was $12.50/night. There will be four of us in our camper and bus pass was about $34/person. More than I was expecting. I don't remember paying for bus ride six years ago, when we were at Denali.
We made the mistake of heading down toward Homer on the 4th of July weekend last time and turned around (thought lobster season in Keys was bad).

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Done Alaska 3 times. Early season everytime. Each time a little later than the trip before.

Much depends on if the north is getting an early or late summer arrival. Each time we entered AK along the TOW highway. 1st time we crossed the Yukon on the second day the ferry was running. By 3rd time we were crossing 2 weeks after the season started for the ferry.

Drag your heels by taking a slow ride up through Canada using the Cassiar highway. Last trip we were almost a month just in Canada northbound.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Glenda2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ok...sorry....leaving Oklahoma May 1st....and mosey on up north in our 20ft. Creekside travel trailer....we usally drive a couple hundred mIles a day....boondocking during the week, campground over the weekend, stop early afternoon... thanks for the great advice
2016 Creekside 20
Chevy Silverado 1/2 ton

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Unclear if the OP is driving up and arriving in Alaska on 1-May or will be flying in; either case:

- As noted, most tourist attractions don't open until late May
- In many parts of Alaska, 1-May is "early spring"....consistent warm weather doesn't arrive for a few more weeks;
- If one will be in Alaska on 1-May, going south 1st would be better...as noted, there will still be ice and snow even on the road system if one heads north.
- Chances are that anywhere a visitor will go on 1-May, they will not see cold (i.e. 20 degrees and colder) weather; however, although it varies by day and location, the weather that time of year can be a real PITA: bright sunshine followed by freezing rain in Southcentral; windy rough and chilly conditions on the coastal areas, muddy ground, etc, etc, etc. I think it's great, but it might not be ideal for "touristing"
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

cewillis
Explorer
Explorer
Glenda2014 wrote:
would it be better to head to Valdez, Seward and Homer/ferry to Kodiak area first

Yes -- that's what I did. Worked out great. Not crowded, and you'll stay just ahead of the mosquitoes as you go north.
Cal

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
Be aware that Canada can get quite a bit of snow that early. We were snowed in at Ft. Nelson for 3 extra nights in Late May this past year.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
gemert wrote:
We are going this summer also. Leaving FL April 1st and entering Canada June 1st. Only reservation are Big Bear (or is it Grizzly Bear?)at Denali for the 4th. See ya on the Rd. We have no other clues where or when we will be anywhere.

Would recommend Teklankia campground in the Denali park. It's about 35 mile in and requires a 3 day minimum stay. If you have a senior pass it will cost about $95 for 3 day including unlimited use of the bus.

You'll get to drive in and drive out saving at least 1.5 hours on the bus each way. As well as you can stop and see the wild life. We loved it.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog

gemert
Explorer
Explorer
Jerry
Chief USN Retired
2003 Beaver Patriot Thunder C-12 505HP
2004 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4

Crazy4silvers
Explorer
Explorer
Glenda2014 wrote:
We plan on being in Alaska about May 1st, only because we wont have the patience to wait any longer! We're retired and have all summer....would it be better to head to Valdez, Seward and Homer/ferry to Kodiak area first or Denali and Fairbanks area first? I'm wondering about weather, crowds?? Maybe there is an obvious answer......but I want to hear
about your experiences....lol....thanks

We live in Fairbanks and generally May 1 will find us w ice still on lakes and trees not yet leafed out. Most tourist things dont open till mid-May to Memorial Day.
2012 Airstream Eddie Bauer
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie 4x4 6.7L

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
If you have lots of time, come visit Oregon before all the tourists get here. Lots to see.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.