cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best route from Branson, Mo to Biloxi, Ms any ideas?

Plyrod
Explorer
Explorer
I'll,be traveling from Kansas City to Biloxi, Ms first time this direction any Ideas for best road I have a 37 ft class A with a Jeep Liberty toad
10 REPLIES 10

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have taken US 49 from Jackson MS many times and appreciate the little bit slower pace of the 4 lane divided highway. There is a small rest area just north of Wiggins MS . You can also go on past I-10 by about 5 miles and take US 90 east to Biloxi. US 90 is right along the gulf with many pull over areas along the beach where you can stop (all free). The beach area is not cluttered with building like it is in other areas. You will have heavier traffic for a couple of miles going thru Gulfport to the beach on 49.

KCSSARGE
Explorer
Explorer
I drive this all the time. If you don't mind hills in Arkansas The best route is take US 65 South to Conway from Springfiled, MO, (No Hills after Conway) then I40/US 65 to Little Rock, In Little Rock, take US 65 South to Lake Village, ARK. You want to stay straight at Lake Village onto US 82 and cross the MS River going towards Greenville, MS. Take the first Right onto MS 454 after crossing the Bridge. This will dead end (approx 7 miles) into MS 1. (Left turn will take you into Greenville and you can gas up and eat before heading south to Vicksburg) Turn right onto MS 1 South and you will follow it until it ends at MS 14. Turn Left and go approx 5 miles. You will see a sign (cant remember the road) to Vicksburg, MS (Right Turn) follow this till it dead ends into US HWY 61 South (maybe 3 miles). Going straight will take you into Rolling Fork and you will hit US 61 South from there. Follow 61 to Vicksburg, MS (approx 45 miles). From there you have 2 options. Take I-20 East to Jackson, MS until you hit US 49 South and proceed to Biloxi. or cross over the interstate and take MS 27 south until you hit MS 28 at Georgetown, MS. Turn Left on 28 until you hit US 49 and follow 49 to Biloxi.

If you want to expressway all the way, head south from KC to Fort Smith, ARK, then I-40 to Little Rock. Then see above or continue to Memphis, TN, then I-240/55 South and follow I55 South to Jackson, MS. From there pick up US 49 South to Hattiesburg, MS and then to Biloxi.

The best way to get around Hattiesburg if you don't want to go through town is to take I-59 South towards New Orleans for a few miles and get off on US 98 towards Mobile. You will follow this for a few miles and it will hit US 49 on the South Side of Hattiesburg. Easy Drive. Good Luck. I live in Vicksburg and have run up and down this road for years. Just Remember when you drive in the Delta, it is a little drive between gas pumps.

mdanielson55
Explorer
Explorer
Many ways to go but I know south of I20 on I55 is like riding on a very short rail, rail road track on a tricycle with solid rubber tires. It is rough enough to shake the nickels outa year pocket. You can't go wrong with just about all hwys south

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've tried several different routes during the three years my daughter lived in Ocean Springs. From Little Rock.

I-530/US-65 to I-20 to US-49 at Jackson. US-65 gets quite lonely, and rough slow two lane, in Louisiana. It is better road in Arkansas.

I-40 to I-55 to I-12 to I-10 (gets messy around Memphis, and had construction detours on I-40 during that period).

I-530/US-65 to US-82 at Lake Village, crossing at Greenville. Pick up US-49 at Indianola (became my preferred route, for traffic and spacing of rest stops). Greenville is slow going through.

I-530/US-65 to US-82 at Lake Village, crossing toward Greenville. Mississippi SR-1 on west side, down to US-61 to bypass Greenville. US-61 to I-20, I-20 to US-49 at Jackson. This is another lonely road, and was in rough shape when I last used it.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
Because I don't like interstates, the route we have taken many times is Springfield to Poplar Bluff, south to Kennett, us412 to Jackson, Tn, then us45 all the way to the coast. Good drive, better than usual roads, and MUCH less traffic, with a lot more to see on the way.

I looked at 55 all the down to 10. But I've driven 49 several times, albeit in a car/pickup. But, I did notice when I was driving it, it wouldn't be bad in the MH. It is 4-lane, just not an interstate.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just an interstate guy. Been riding m/c's too long. TO ME, interstates are safer. More places to "deviate" to in an emergency, and less likely to have someone turn left, from the oncoming lane, in front of you.
As always....YMMV.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Because I don't like interstates, the route we have taken many times is Springfield to Poplar Bluff, south to Kennett, us412 to Jackson, Tn, then us45 all the way to the coast. Good drive, better than usual roads, and MUCH less traffic, with a lot more to see on the way.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
malexander wrote:
I'd take Hwy 65 South out of Branson to Little Rock, get on I-40 East to Memphis. At Memphis, take I-55 South to Jackson, MS. Hwy 49 south out of Jackson is a good road to I-10. Go East on I-10 to Biloxi.

The above except I would stay on I-55 to I-10. IMO 49 may be shorter, but it is a PIA compared to dropping down to I-10 and over. Now if you were in a car or a smaller RV then I might do the 49 route.
Thereโ€™s no fool, like an old fool.

Fred_n_Jo
Explorer
Explorer
Stay on 65 all the way to I-20 near Vicksburg then east to Jackson and south on 49.
2017 Host Rainier Truck Camper
2015 F450 Lariat 6.7L PSD CC 4x4

our places camped Map

our rig ready to roll

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take Hwy 65 South out of Branson to Little Rock, get on I-40 East to Memphis. At Memphis, take I-55 South to Jackson, MS. Hwy 49 south out of Jackson is a good road to I-10. Go East on I-10 to Biloxi.

While you're down in the Biloxi area, there's a really neat BBQ joint on I-10 at Ocean Springs. It's called "The Shed". It's just north of the interstate at exit 56 or 57 IIRC. There's also an RV park right there. I think the name of it is "Last Frontier RV Park".