cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canadian Exodus?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
I saw it being implied a few times on this forum, but now it appears that I'm seeing it in real life. Canadians that I would have expected to be here by now are not. Others that have invested their time, energy, and money down here are seemingly pulling up stakes and moving on. I doubt very much that they were thinking that way just 3-4 years ago.

It's not a mass exodus, but a noticeable one (for my park.) I'm guessing others in other snowbird states are seeing it also. Thinking the decline in the Loonie is starting to catch up and will continue to catch up to many.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.
59 REPLIES 59

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Some people will use any excuse to not travel. I have heard so many people say "won't be able to travel much this winter with the price of fuel being higher than last winter". Funny part is fuel prices were cheaper at that time than the year before.

The price of Fuel may be the same or less but when you pay $.35 on the dollar exchange it adds up.

True but it's no different now then it was several years ago. I think Canadians got VERY spoiled.

If it doesn't effect you then it is a non issue? If it cost you an extra $.35 on each dollar that you spend would you not rethink your travels.
Yes it is no different now then years ago.
In 2009 we made our first trip south and our dollar was at $.69.
That trip cost us an extra $2500. and we were lucky at that because fuel and food were cheaper down south then.
Today fuel is still cheaper than in Canada but other costs are same. Then you add on the exchange. My Retirement income does not go up at the same rate as many others will agree, so when people decide to stay home for that reason I guess that means we are spoiled. It is not ours or your fault where our dollar sits. That does not mean we have to be happy about it.

Thanks for twisting my words meaning.

Please tell me what in Canada is the same price as in the US? If things are the same then why is every Outlet and Mall in NW WA full of Canadians every weekend?

We cross border shop a fair amount as we live close to the border.
Some things cost more money here in Canada, but then to buy them and pay the exchange it sometimes more than often costs more. There are certain things here that are less money than across the border so one cannot make a blanket statement for that. I am talking mainly food prices. I have no idea why so many people are at the outlet malls maybe they know something I don't.

The only point I am making is by time you add the exchange rate to your fuel bill and your RV parks and everything else you need it makes a significant difference to your overall costs of snow birding. It might not matter to some people but some retirees are on fixed pensions and have to be more vigilant on where their money is spent.That is probably why some have stayed home this winter. I stayed home this winter for a medical reason but also the low dollar compounded that decision. Happy travels what ever your situation may be.
1998 Holiday Rambler Imperial 40 ft.
Dennis and Marcie and Pup the Jack Russell

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Please tell me what in Canada is the same price as in the US?

Let me name a few things that are cheaper/almost the same in Canada.

2 minutes on google and looking at weekly ads.

Shaws Bangor ME Haddock $7.99lb US
Atlantic Superstore Moncton NB Haddock $4.99lb CA

Shaws Bangor ME Ground beef $3.99lb US
Sobeys Moncton NB Ground beef $2.99lb CA

Timberland RV Park Trenton ME Full Hookup $51 US
Marcopolo RV Park Cavendish PE $47.50 CA

Shaws Bangor ME 8 oz cashews $5.99 US
Giant Tiger Moncton NB 8 oz cashews $2.97 CA

Central Maine Power $.1309 KWH US
NB Power $.1059 KWH CA

Home Depot Whirlpool 33" 22 C/F Fridge $1539 US
Husons Bay Whirplool 33" 22 C/F Fridge $1599 CA

I could go on. Sure there are items that are cheaper in the US but not everything. Assuming everything is cheaper is an "alternative fact".
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
What are you referring to. I can pick 100 items in Home depot in about 30 seconds that are the same in Canada as the US taking into account the currency exchange. Iphones are cheaper in Canada. We bought a new car this year that was about the same. Maybe I am misunderstanding. Are you taking into consideration the exchange rate.

We notice some things are less expensive in the US. Other things not. Electricity is at least double in the US. Seems pretty much a wash for us. We had to buy a point of use water heater in the US recently. We would have saved about 6 or 7 percent if we weighted till we got back to Canada. 6 volt batteries are cheaper in the US.

Seems pretty much a wash for us.

The Canadian dollar is kept at a certain point to stimulate trade. Thats why countries have their own currency so they can adjust to the market. Canada generally has a trade surplus (not always) and currently we have a trade surplus.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Some people will use any excuse to not travel. I have heard so many people say "won't be able to travel much this winter with the price of fuel being higher than last winter". Funny part is fuel prices were cheaper at that time than the year before.

The price of Fuel may be the same or less but when you pay $.35 on the dollar exchange it adds up.

True but it's no different now then it was several years ago. I think Canadians got VERY spoiled.

If it doesn't effect you then it is a non issue? If it cost you an extra $.35 on each dollar that you spend would you not rethink your travels.
That trip cost us an extra $2500. and we were lucky at that because fuel and food were cheaper down south then.
Today fuel is still cheaper than in Canada but other costs are same. Then you add on the exchange. My Retirement income does not go up at the same rate as many others will agree, so when people decide to stay home for that reason I guess that means we are spoiled. It is not ours or your fault where our dollar sits. That does not mean we have to be happy about it.

Thanks for twisting my words meaning.

Please tell me what in Canada is the same price as in the US? If things are the same then why is every Outlet and Mall in NW WA full of Canadians every weekend?
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
FWIW, we're packed right now. Up at the office getting the mail and listening to someone on the phone trying to get the last open site, Clerk said that it has a guide wire over it. Meaning you back in the TT, unhook, then drive to the other side of the wire and park the towing vehicle on the other half of the lot. This is on a drive thru spot. Crazy.

Weather is currently good, fuel is cheap, more then plenty of US RV'ers out there picking up the vacated Canadian spots.

They're all looking for their piece of the pie I guess. Just got to get the right combo going to appeal to them, and set the price to make them feel they're getting their moneys worth. Good luck!

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
This park is betting on RC boats, air rifle range, RC cars, and RC drones to attract new customers. This, plus aggressive pricing, may help. Next season will tell the tale, as rentals have slowly declined for the last three years.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
It all boils down to the below microeconomics term. Intelligent people will take their money and always attempt to get the maximum utility out of it. If parks are half empty then the park is not offering people enough "utils" for their dollar (US or Can.) If parks offer plenty of activities but not the correct environment (weather /location) then "utils" will suffer and price must reflect that.

"What is 'Utility'

"Utility" is an economic term introduced by Daniel Bernoulli referring to the total satisfaction received from consuming a good or service. The economic utility of a good or service is important to understand because it will directly influence the demand, and therefore price, of that good or service. A consumer's utility is hard to measure, however, but it can be determined indirectly with consumer behavior theories, which assume that consumers will strive to maximize their utility."

If it takes 10K to sit in a dumpy place with bad weather for the winter many would get greater "utils" from staying home and using the same money for more enjoyable activities. Does not mean that money is not spent.

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
slickest1 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
Discounts to Canadians to help with an exchange rate is nothing new.

Macys has been doing it for years.

Disney does it.

NASCAR does it.

These are the only ones I have experience with.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

slickest1
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
TheLuvShack wrote:
The smart campgrounds are aware of the exchange rate and accepting the Canadian dollar on par with the US dollar. A small discount is better than an empty camping spot.

If they want to do that they can but why should I not get the same discount?

Come and camp in Canada where you dollar is worth more and you will be ahead of us Canadians! They wont give us the U.S. exchange back.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
...It's something we've been wanting to do for a long time...

Safe travels.

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
John&Joey wrote:
joebedford wrote:
We're not RVing this winter. Going to New Zealand instead. Much more $$ but much more desireable for us.

That's pretty neat. We were hoping to hit Hawaii this spring and check it out, but that seems to be not happening.

Are you planning on snow birding in NZ? That option never even occurred to me.
No, I suspect this trip will be a one off.

It's something we've been wanting to do for a long time. It's the silver lining to this year's dark cloud. No snowbirding opens the opportunity to go there in their summer.