cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

SUVs that can be towed

jepalmer
Explorer
Explorer
I need to buy, and then tow, a mid- to full-sized SUV.
1) Does anyone know what SUVs can be towed?
2) Any recommendations for a particular vehicle

Thanks
12 REPLIES 12

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
The Fords with V6 non turbo except the Explorer with four wheel drive v6 which can be towed. The Expedition with non turbo V6 and the Edge with V6 2 wheel drive or all wheel drive. This coming year ask your Ford Dealer, If he acts like he doesn't know he can factory rep and they have a towing guide or did.
We had a 2 wheel drive 10 Edge and now a 13 Edge all wheel drive.

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
tizeye wrote:
RWD generally cannot -

What exactly makes you think that ??

Why would you not simply put the transmission on N, regardless of what kind it is (hybrids don't count) and away you go.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

tizeye
Explorer
Explorer
Sam Spade wrote:
jepalmer wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they ALL can be towed with a dolly, two down.

And I am positive that they all can be towed on a trailer, four up.

I understand the small extra hassles of a dolly but that gives you maximum flexibility.

ALL SUV's cannot be dolly towed. Essentially, FWD can be dolly towed but AWD and RWD generally cannot - ignoring towing a RWD backwards which is not recommended. Additionally, foreign makes are really bad about even addressing it in their owners manual, leaving out "Recreational Towing" and forcing you to look at the general towing (i.e. tow truck) section. There they will show the wheel supported lift which simulates a dolly, but then put other restrictions like 35 mph and 50 mile max while noting full trailer/truckbed towing preferred with all 4 wheels up.

tizeye
Explorer
Explorer
While the Motorhome list is excellent, it is a starting point. The 2017 should be published in Feb, so for new have to rely on 2016. As noted earlier, weight and towing capacity of the RV (some Class B as low as 3000lb) is a critical issue. The Motorhome list includes vehicle 'published' weights which may help you rule out vehicles if over the weight (plus buffer) limit. When narrowed down, go online and review the owners manuals as Ford, GM, and FCA are good about having a "Recreational Towing" section. YOu may find discrepancies within models. While not an SUV, I know there is a discrepancy with the Chev Malibu, where Motorhome indicated that is, the owner's manual indicates only the base 1.5L engine is. Likewise with the Ford Edge SUV, only the 2 optional engines are 4 down towable, where the base 2.0L in the Edge or any other Ford/Lincoln vehicle using it is not 4 down towable - but dolly towable if FWD. If looking at dolly towable, most dollies have a 5000lb weight limit which even the FWD Jeep Grand Cherokee (diesel or hemi) would exceed and V6 'maxing out', where the 4WD version is flat towable if the RV can handle that weight.

TheLuvShack
Explorer
Explorer
Buick Enclave 2WD and AWD.
"If the women don't find you handsome, they better find you handy". Red Green

Daryl

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to most of the above comments you will find that manny GM vehicles can be towed 4 doen if equipped right,
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
jepalmer wrote:

I'm pretty sure that they ALL can be towed with a dolly, two down.

And I am positive that they all can be towed on a trailer, four up.

I understand the small extra hassles of a dolly but that gives you maximum flexibility.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
So far this sounds a lot like "I want a big boat." Bigger than what?

Mid- to full-sized... Three row seating? Trailer towing capability? Four-Wheel Drive?

And what's going to be towing this? What weight can it handle?

Where are you going? Towing a heavy vehicle can be an issue in the mountains when it isn't along I-95 and I-10.

To me, mid-size is something like a three row crossover like Flex and Acadia.
And full-size is a Yukon, Suburban etc. 6000-pounds or so.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We 4-down tow a 2011 Toyota RAV4 Sport 4WD SUV and love the car. It does require an aftermarket Remco transmission lube pump though, and that adds another $1000 or so to your setup costs. This is the second RAV4 we've towed, with a current total of about 50,000 towing miles between the two cars and zero problems.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jepalmer wrote:

Thanks

I should have cautioned you to know and understand the various weights and weight ratings of your motorhome before buying a dinghy.

in general, the maximum amount of weight you can safely tow will be the lesser of the following:

- the GCWR (gross combination weight rating) of the MH minus the actual weight of the MH as it is loaded for travel (includes fuel, fresh water, food, clothing, people, pets, supplies, etc.)

- the weight rating of your tow bar

- the weight rating of your hitch

this is why it's vital to know what your MH weighs...by individual axle weights...as it is loaded and configure for travel before choosing a toad. Your MH will not collapse if it is overloaded but you will experience handling issues as well as longer braking distances and accelerated wear on suspension, brakes, steering, etc.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

richnorsworthy
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a Jeep Wrangler Sahara (4dr). It tows easily, but it is not that comfortable to ride in nor has the conveniences of many of the other vehicles.

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
jepalmer wrote:

Thanks

motorhome magazine publishes a list of flat-towable vehicles every year. AFAIK you do not need to be a subscriber to access that list.

Jeeps are very dinghy-friendly just be sure that the Jeep you like has a manually selectable neutral position in the transfer case.

Clicky
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle