cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone know if I can tow my 07 GMC 1500?

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 07 Georgetown 350DS SE Class A Motorhome with the Ford V10 and was wondering if I could tow my 07 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 behind it? I don't have an owners guide or anything to know if I can buy it seems like with a 4x4 you should be able to. Just not positive. Wondering if anyone on here would know and if I can what would I need to do to my truck to make it towable besides the tow hooks? I already have a blueox towbar from my Jeep Grand Cherokee. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
2007 Forest River Georgetown 350 DS SE Bunk Model Class A V10
2013 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 ADV Bike
MotoJug Motorcycle Hydration System

8 REPLIES 8

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Well when you see people pulling their 40ft Toyhauler with their 3/4 ton trucks you know we are not even talking close to that kind of weight. Those guys a lot of time are hauling $5k plus over there GVWR. I'm not trying to justify towing a few hundred pounds over if I had to. Well I guess I am.

mowermech
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 quad cab SWB behind my motorhome. I have no idea what it weighed, all I know for sure is, it worked just fine. The receiver on the coach is rated at 5000 lbs, the towbar is rated at 6000 lbs. It went up the mountain, over the pass, and down the other side with no trouble at all.
Nothing bent, nothing broke, nobody was injured or died.
Success is a wonderful thing.
That does not mean I am willing to try it with my current truck. That diesel weighs just over 7000 lbs. That just might be too much of a stretch!
CM1, USN (RET)
2017 Jayco TT
Daily Driver: '14 Subaru Outback
1998 Dodge QC LWB, Cummins, 5 speed, 4X2
2 Kawasaki Brute Force 750 ATVs.
Pride Raptor 3 wheeled off-road capable mobility scooter
"When seconds count, help is only minutes away!"

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Strongly suggest you weigh your truck. Curb weight many times is based on standard vehicles. Then you start adding for added things. Like a bigger engine, skid plates, 4 wheel drive, etc. A friend weighed his extended cab 1500 4x4, Chevy at 5300 lbs.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. Looked up my Motorhome and it says the hitch is rated for 5k. Guess we are maxing it out at that point.

j-d
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a manual you can download. They talk about Recreational Towing on Page 417-8, and Shift Transfer Case to Neutral on Page 157. But that's only if you have a manual transfer case with a shift lever. If you have an automatic electronic one, then Page 163. But that page ends with "Ignition Key in Lock," and that's not good for towing unless the Steering Wheel Lock has been eliminated, and it's very possible that it has.

So that 4x4 IS towable, just be sure you get the TC into N, and that the front wheels are free to "steer," following your coach.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Look Here

Yes, according to Motorhome Magazine Dinghy Tow guide for 2007, a Sierra 1500 4x4, can be towed 4 down with an auto or manual trans.

Check your hitch tow rating, and your GCW, because it's pretty heavy. 4508, plus a full tank of gas, and " stuff", you might be over.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

lacofdfireman
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not positive on my Motorhomes tow rating but we have a reinforced class 5 hitch on it that we tow our 2014 24ft Malibu Surf boat with. It seems to do fine with that.

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
Reasonably sure that if you can put the transfer case of the truck into neutral that it can be towed 4 wheels down. Next thing to check though is to be sure you motor home hitch and motor home its self is rated to tow the weight of the truck. The 4x4 1500 is not a light weight tow vehicle.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler