cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada Full Time Insurance?

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
Any Canadians here that can offer advice on insurance for full timer? I am in Ontario and when we moved into our MH in 2014 State Farm (Certas) gave me a contents policy for my stuff. I need $25-30K. They notified me last week that they would no longer provide content as a separate policy - only part of homeowners insurance. This cancels in March. Since then I seem to be hitting a blank wall. I had a broker here see if she could find something with no luck. Oddly the one insurance company she did find - Wayfairer does provide a contents policy but only if you are retired! How that factors in I have no idea but I am employed full time working from home so that is not an option for me.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Chieferbird and Chicobird at MIL until we figure this out
Coral (Long Hair Jack Russel umm Maybe) adopted in Fort Myers March 2015
Homeport - Ontario
13 REPLIES 13

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
Not that I would advocate trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the insurance company, those poor folks can barely scratch out a living, but if you had a family member or friend who would 'rent' you some space I think you'd find that a basic 'renters' policy would cover your possessions even if you happened to be on the road taking your 2 weeks annual holiday in your m/h when something happened.

Thanks - I thought of that too. My broker said that would work but only so long as the motorhome was in the driveway and that I was using the motorhome for storage. And it would only cover up to about 5K. 5K isn't much for a full timer. This is really a rock and a hard place. Since we use my Mother in Law's address as our residence - and we are essentially here looking after her - I am going to meet with her insurance next week to see if we can get on her homeowners policy.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not that I would advocate trying to pull the wool over the eyes of the insurance company, those poor folks can barely scratch out a living, but if you had a family member or friend who would 'rent' you some space I think you'd find that a basic 'renters' policy would cover your possessions even if you happened to be on the road taking your 2 weeks annual holiday in your m/h when something happened.

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
How did you make out with your insurance coverage?

Nothing yet. I tried the tactic that the motorhome is in my wife's name and she is retired. Wayfarer said it didn't make any difference - that all regular occupants had to be retired.

i am making some more calls this week but not optimistic.

Thanks

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
How did you make out with your insurance coverage?
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
road2002runner wrote:
Try TIS in Newmarket has toll free - google TIS.

Thanks - I'll check it out.

Fred

road2002runner
Explorer
Explorer
Try TIS in Newmarket has toll free - google TIS.
I'll NEVER be an "EXPERT" (In math.X is an unknown factor and a "SPURT" is just a drip - under pressure)

Y2K F350 Longbox C.C. SRW, 2WD (BIG BLUE)

2011 COUGAR HC 291RLS

Barry, & Zeah - the "wonder" Sheltie

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
Tripalot wrote:
fredlef wrote:
almcc wrote:
I would check with Wayfarer Insurance brokers, they are owned by Aviva. They specialize in RV insurance and I've had good service from them.

***Link Removed***

Thanks - I tried Wayfarer but they will only cover contents if I am retired. Do not understand what that has to do with anything.

From your original post, it appears you had a broker contact Wayfarer Ins.
If I were you, I would contact them directly myself - that way you can ask
questions and get explanations. They deal with Aviva.

We have had great service, including claims , from Wayfarers.
1-800-461-0318

Yeah - that is a great idea and I am going to follow up on it.

Thanks,
Fred

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
My broker just called with a quote from Aviva Elite but they would not do my contents - apparently because I am employed. I will call them myself to see if I can glean any additional information.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
fredlef wrote:
almcc wrote:
I would check with Wayfarer Insurance brokers, they are owned by Aviva. They specialize in RV insurance and I've had good service from them.

***Link Removed***

Thanks - I tried Wayfarer but they will only cover contents if I am retired. Do not understand what that has to do with anything.

From your original post, it appears you had a broker contact Wayfarer Ins.
If I were you, I would contact them directly myself - that way you can ask
questions and get explanations. They deal with Aviva.

We have had great service, including claims , from Wayfarers.
1-800-461-0318
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
almcc wrote:

***Link Removed***

fredlef
Explorer
Explorer
netjam wrote:
We have Aviva Elite which offers contents and fulltimers (rv is only residence). Available from most brokers.

Thanks - I'll check them out.

almcc
Explorer
Explorer

Link

netjam
Explorer
Explorer
We have Aviva Elite which offers contents and fulltimers (rv is only residence). Available from most brokers.