cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Grape Solar 40 Amp PWM Solar Charge Controller

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
I just finished helping a fellow camper install his new solar controller. It was only $45 from Home Depot. It even has Bluetooth so you can connect to your smartphone to set up and monitor. You need to send an email to support@grapesolar.com and request the app. Check it out here:
Home Depot - Grape Solar charge controller
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN
25 REPLIES 25

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
wasn't the Bogart I was trying to remember. Might have been a KIDD with a special remote? Just can't remember. Idea was the fancy remote did the subtraction etc so you didn't need the Trimetric ISTR.

Sort of a remote, yes.

Midnite sell remote AH-meter Whizbang as an add-on to Kid, that works similarly to Bogart-Trimetric combo. Thus, not only it doesn't need the Trimetric, but adding Whizbang to Kid is better than adding Trimetric to Kid, because Whiz not just monitors but controls the Kid functions.

IIRC, the cost of Bogart+Trimetric is a bit less than Kid+Whizbang, though Grape is several times less than Bogart+Trimetric.

Eventually, morning voltage on the controller will tell the truth, - for free. In my battery bank nothing happens in the night. Heater is volt-less.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
BFL13 wrote:
So what do you full-timers get out of Kwhs etc that you do something different if the numbers don't come out as what? Maybe there is something to learn here even if not full-timing?

Yes, there is - conserving energy ๐Ÿ™‚

People need to know their solar harvest - running, daily, average etc. So they will take some steps if possible whenever possible, other than just "crank up the generator as needed". Sometimes these steps are upgrading equipment, sometimes (gasp) - yes, adjusting lifestyle. Like going to bed earlier instead of watching stupefying TV.

I agree that Trimetric monitor is not needed, but rather, nice to have, and morning voltage tells enough, if you know your system and your habits are not changing often. And if the weather is more stable than it is in BC/PNW.

Detailed display like the one in Grape (or the one in my Rogue MPPT) helps learning the system and keeping an eye on it.

JohnnyGood
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,

Does anyone using the grape controller know where to get the iphone app?

I have searched the app store to no avail.

I did email them.

Yours,

L

red31
Explorer
Explorer
monitoring CC from inside home while CC hangs on wall of detached garage :W

Byrogie
Explorer
Explorer
Harvey51 wrote:

I don't see it on homedepot.ca; must be available only in USA.

Found it on amazon.ca for $72
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01FFNNUSK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

red31
Explorer
Explorer
SolarLink is the name of the app on play store.
Ya'd need the admin password to change settings

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shuorigf&hl=en

doughere
Explorer
Explorer
Just installed one. This is a heck of a controller for $45.

Doug.

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
dewey02 wrote:

The itunes link had a statement that said it was compatible with iphone, iPad and iPod, as long as they had iOS 8 or greater.

Second message to Grape Solar pointing this out and asking who is correct? Message back from them saying the itunes description is correct, and blaming the error on it being Monday morning. I can completely understand that, as I've had Monday mornings like that! ๐Ÿ™‚

My take is - "lost in translation". Grape is an e-commerce hub, think of it as little Amazo-Alibaba specializing in solar.

I prefer controllers with a proper display, built-in or remote. The 2nd best would be $15-30 meter with A-V-AH-WH readings or again a battery monitor like Trimetric or Victron.

Why having WH history at all? Many reasons. Ex, I came to my trailer after a long absence and checked the log for the last 20-30 days, to make sure that batteries were maintained at the right voltage and controller didn't have any hickups during that time.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
I heard back from Grape Solar.
The first email told me it was NOT compatible with an iPad or iPod, but just with an iPhone. That email included a link to the app on itunes.

The itunes link had a statement that said it was compatible with iphone, iPad and iPod, as long as they had iOS 8 or greater.

Second message to Grape Solar pointing this out and asking who is correct? Message back from them saying the itunes description is correct, and blaming the error on it being Monday morning. I can completely understand that, as I've had Monday mornings like that! ๐Ÿ™‚

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think this is what I was thinking of

http://www.midnitesolar.com/pdfs/Whizbang_manual.pdf
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
dewey02 wrote:
I sent a message to Grape Solar's customer service email asking the following:
Does the controller's remote monitoring only work with Android devices with bluetooth, or does it work with iPad or iPod with bluetooth?
When I requested the app, Grape responded asking if I needed Android or iOS? I needed Android so I assume an app for Apple is also available.

mike-s wrote:
It looks like that controller has low-side control (i.e. all control and measurement occurs in the ground circuit). How did you wire that into an RV, which typically uses the chassis for ground? If it's just wired inline between panels and battery, it should be fine. But the load terminals would be useless, as would any measurement reported for the load.
I don't know if measurement is on the ground side but when I installed the controller the panels went direct to the controller with no connection to chassis ground. The batteries did have a connection to chassis ground. An Engel cooler was connected to the load circuit with no chassis ground. Readings on the display showed both current from the panels and current going to the load.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
It looks like that controller has low-side control (i.e. all control and measurement occurs in the ground circuit). How did you wire that into an RV, which typically uses the chassis for ground? If it's just wired inline between panels and battery, it should be fine. But the load terminals would be useless, as would any measurement reported for the load.

BFL13
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wasn't the Bogart I was trying to remember. Might have been a KIDD with a special remote? Just can't remember. Idea was the fancy remote did the subtraction etc so you didn't need the Trimetric ISTR.
1. 1991 Oakland 28DB Class C
on Ford E350-460-7.5 Gas EFI
Photo in Profile
2. 1991 Bighorn 9.5ft Truck Camper on 2003 Chev 2500HD 6.0 Gas
See Profile for Electronic set-ups for 1. and 2.