cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freedom 458 inverter not charging/no pass thru

Buddyw555
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2000 Tradewinds 38' with a inverter problem.. It is a Freedom 458, single in, dual out, 2000 amp... The inverter works great in the invert mode, but when AC power is supplied it has a blinking charge light... Book says it is waiting AC power... Power is at the inverter but no pass through and no batt charging and no fan..

I have new batteries , checked small 1/4amp fuse in the inverter and I am at a loss.

My remote panel is good, but I even tried disconnecting it and tried set-up at the inverter... Nothing. Thought I would try here as a last resort before getting a new one
12 REPLIES 12

curleyrockwood
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. It's a circuit board. I had my Zantrex fixed twice, cost about $ 600 each time. A new one is about 1000-1300. I went with a Pure Sine Wave Inverter and a Powermax Boondocker 4 Stage converter. Actually cost less to upgrade...

Talk to Randy at Best Converter. He's very helpful, and they have the 458 and other's at good prices.

Chris

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
Brett......thanks
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

Clay_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
For any of you around Quartzsite there is a solar store that repairs inverters including the Freedom 458 for usually less than half the cost of a new one.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
Mine did the same thing. I replaced the charging printed circuit board per Xantrex recommendation for about $250. That was 4 years ago. All is still well.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Noel wrote:
There is a power sharing feature when AC is turned on when generator is activated. Is this a possibility ?

Power sharing merely limits the amount of 120 VAC (whether from generator or shore power) that may be used by the inverter/charger for battery charging.

Most common use is when plugged in to 15 amp shore power, so you can have some power for other things. It slows the rate of charge, as it limits how much 120 VAC can be used for charging.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
There is a power sharing feature when AC is turned on when generator is activated. Is this a possibility ?
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Your Inverter Internal transfer switch is bad. It is NOT getting the 120 input power. A 17 year old 458 is not worth fixing. It can be fixed, but not worth it. You can buy a new 458 for around $1100. Fixing it will cost about $600 to $800. Doug

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
My no name inverter has two fuses (both pos and neg AC are fused) but they are inside the case.
On this inverter you must disassemble the the case to find them.
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

happycamper002
Explorer
Explorer
Buddyw555 wrote:
We have a 2000 Tradewinds 38' with a inverter problem.. It is a Freedom 458, single in, dual out, 2000 amp...

My remote panel is good, but I even tried disconnecting it and tried set-up at the inverter... Nothing. Thought I would try here as a last resort before getting a new one

Perhaps you mean 2000 watts?

All the best.

Buddyw555
Explorer
Explorer
Power is at the input connection and when the invert is off part of the home has no 120v. When in the invert mode everything works...

Buddyw555
Explorer
Explorer
Gen power and/or shore

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sounds like it is just not switching over.. Curious what is your input power source?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.