cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Las Vegas to Grand Canyon in 7 days

Steinastein
Explorer
Explorer
I am a first time rv. We are planning on going from Las Vegas to Grand Canyon. Have 7 days. Can someone send me some sample itineraries with routes to take and places to stay. Our rv is a 40fter
Thanks
9 REPLIES 9

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Search for Grand Canyon in the RV Parks section. Unless you hike most `see' the South Rim in less than 3 hours.

You may be speaking of the big tour buses that drop their passengers off but if you make an effort to go in a RV and stay IN the park at Trailer Village, folks spend days there - not hours.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Hypoxia:
Thank you ha ha. Always do that.... I'm limited, must accept.

This post was really enjoyable to me, and it enabled many to give original poster (Steinastein) info about his up coming trip.
It got me thinking about those trips.....

I'm going to try and post a movie showing the weather one could encounter driving along Rt #40 towards Grand Canyon.
Now I was a man in my mid sixties with limited experiences pulling a trailer (17FT) and my reaction shows this.... Panicsville for sure.
I was pulling with a 15 passenger 1997 Dodge Van with two wheel drive.

Struggling with getting movie on posting.... must end without it, sorry.
SAFBVET.....

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
take old 66 out of Kingman for sure. Good road, no problems unless it's snowing, ha ha.
First stop is at Hackberry which is literally a one store town. LOTS of 66 stuff to see at this place.
Next stop is Peach Springs and if you like the idea, drive up to the Havasupai glass walkway and do that if heights don't bother you.
Then on to the canyon.
Do stay in the park if you can get a site in Trailer village.
Be advised that it can be sunny and mild in Vegas but cold with 6 inches of snow on the ground at the canyon.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Search for Grand Canyon in the RV Parks section. Unless you hike most `see' the South Rim in less than 3 hours.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's just a one day trip so no stops should be necessary (270 miles). You can go from Vegas to Williams, AZ (216 miles) and take the train to the GC or you can try to get into the park itself or into one of the RV parks just outside. You will take 93 out of Vegas toward 40. 40W to Williams and done or 40W until you get to Williams and then head up 64 to the park area.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

hypoxia
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Bojangles wrote:
If food is an attraction, and in particular, Biscuits and gravy, stop at WESTSIDE LILO'S Cafe in Seligman, AR.
On three different occasions (in last ten years) I went out of my way to experience the biscuits (creamy dough), and sausage gravy is excellant!

Just a typo, Seligman is AZ. Don't want you to go on a longer journey than planned.;)

Isn't Lilo's across from the Road Kill Cafe? Lilo's is my choice also.

The Route 66 run from Seligman to Kingman is a sight to behold. I don't remember when they do that but I have been there several times for it.
Jim

2007 Monaco Signature Noble III ISX 600HP

AZAmmochief
Explorer
Explorer
Take US 93 South thru Kingman, I40 East to Williams, North on AZ 63 to the South Rim gate. It's about 5 hours driving from Vegas. Looking at the weather, snow forecast over the next several days, and cold, lows 30s/hi 20s at night. Be prepared for the cold. Welcome to RVing. OBTW, you can take the way Mr Bo Jangles suggested, but it might have winter hazards while driving, not much out that way.

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Hello STEINASTEIN:

Never traveled in something bigger than an 18 feet pull along trailer.....
But, I have been through that route many times.....

If food is an attraction, and in particular, Biscuits and gravy, stop at WESTSIDE LILO'S Cafe in Seligman, AR.
On three different occasions (in last ten years) I went out of my way to experience the biscuits (creamy dough), and sausage gravy is excellant!

Get onto Route 66 at Kingman, Ar., travel east to Seligman for your biscuits while seeing the remoteness of the old highway. Hardly nothing to see but that remoteness, and I always loved it.

See ya down the road!
SAFBVET.....

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get into trailer village at grand canyon, plan on several days for grand canyon. From trailer village, you have bus service to everywhere, can get up really early for a sunrise, stay out late for a sunset, have a exceptional lunch or dinner at one of the hotels, and a day or so just to wander the park. A beautiful place just to find a bench or a rock to sit for a while and just contemplate the world.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.