cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries

davidbt
Explorer
Explorer
We've been living in three different trailers, not moving around much in any of them. We have full hook ups unless we travel on vacation once or twice a yr. I was wondering if I should disconnect the batteries while parked for long period's of time.
5 REPLIES 5

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
allen8106 wrote:
Disconnecting the batteries will disable these things.

I suspect he knows that......if and only IF he is not connected to shore power.

Some converters are designed to work without actual batteries in place and some are not. To be safe, leave them connected and check the electrolyte level occasionally.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Based on my interpretation of your post I'm assuming you mean diconnect batteries while parked but still living in the RV. Your lights, AC t-stat, likey your refridgerator and furnace run off of 12 volts from the batteries. Disconnecting the batteries will disable these things.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Sam_Spade
Explorer
Explorer
The easy answer is:
Probably NOT.
How often do you inspect the batteries and add water if necessary ?

Even the inexpensive single stage converters are usually set at a voltage point that won't really hurt the batteries. But the water does slowly disappear and needs to be replenished.
'07 Damon Outlaw 3611
CanAm Spyder in the "trunk"

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
The operating manual for my converter indicates that the converter will work just fine while disconnected with the battery. And I do disconnect mine while on shore power for more than a couple days. If I don't, the batteries seem to require adding water once in a while. But when disconnected, the batteries sit there just fine.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Need more information to be able to tell you.
Are you using 12V lights?
What converter do you have?