cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone done the Class A Non-Commercial in Cali?

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
I went to the DMV this week and took my law for Class A non-commercial exam, along with having to re-take Class-C and Class-M1. So I have my permit now and getting ready for the skills test.

Has anyone in California taken this one? I am curious how it went as far as having to do the "back in to a camping spot". Did they make you back up to a set of cones and are you judged on how close you are in the rear to those cones? You get a few times to pull forward and back if need be too I think? Any info is appreciated. Thanks.
2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler
18 REPLIES 18

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
F-TROUP wrote:
The pre-trip inspection is the most difficult part of the test as it's something not normally done by an rv'er. You'll have to describe every step and what your looking for. The driving test is just that a driving test and the backing portion is no problem. Good luck.

A friend lost points for not checking fuel tank mounts and condition and leaks. He had a chevy 2500 dmax pickup. He aced the rest of it including opening hood for belts, mcyl, and fuel leaks.

F-TROUP
Explorer
Explorer
The pre-trip inspection is the most difficult part of the test as it's something not normally done by an rv'er. You'll have to describe every step and what your looking for. The driving test is just that a driving test and the backing portion is no problem. Good luck.

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Each class of CA drivers lic and what is allowed
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
AMG1978 wrote:
Class-C can tow:
Travel Trailers (any bumper pull trailer) 10,000 GVWR or less
5th wheel 10,000 GVWR or less
* up to 15,000 GVWR if you add the "5th wheel endorsement" (which is a like 18 question written multiple choice exam and a medical survey)

Class-A non-commercial can tow:
All Class-C stuff
Travel Trailers over 10,000 GVWR
5th wheel trailers over 15,000 GVWR

My trailer is 12,800 GVWR. I need my class-a non commercial (its a travel trailer toy hauler)

I am going to schedule my skills test prob for sometime in Feb.

Yea someone finally got it right. That 5th wheel endorsement is called restriction 41. I think it is a 20 question test, but I could be all wrong as it was many years ago that my wife and I took the test. Living in Arizona I don't need any of that nonsense can tow anything up to 26,000 lbs
2019 Ford F-350 long bed SRW 4X4 6.4 PSD Grand Designs Reflection 295RL 5th wheel

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
AMG1978 wrote:
Class-C can tow:
* up to 15,000 GVWR if you add the "5th wheel endorsement" (which is a like 18 question written multiple choice exam and a medical survey)

All Class-C stuff

My trailer is 12,800 GVWR. I need my class-a non commercial (its a travel trailer toy hauler)

Read everything you can about other peoples experiences. There is a lot of okay information on the internet, but you need to sift through the garbage.

Class A Written Test is easy - but you need to study for it. Re-take at least one side of the Class C written test if you have not done so in the last 6 months.

Inspection Test - what is the person looking for when you look over your vehicle to make sure it is safe to operate. I think you need to tell him what you are inspecting as you go.

Technical Test - practice the different maneuvers people have had to do. non-commercial tests are different than commercial tests - by what I understand

Driving Test - Don't forget about bridge clearances. Remember the clearance of the bridge you just drove under, the tester might ask you what it was. Right turns, always end up in the right lane. Distance between you and the person in front of you. Downhills, etc.

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
cmeade wrote:
mrw8i wrote:
Yes, non-commercial class A exists in California. Required if you are pulling a recreational vehicle that meets one of the two following limits:
1 - Bumper pull with GVWR over 10,000 lbs
or
2 - 5th wheel with GVWR over 15,000 lbs

There is another odd one not talked about much, which I have. Non Commercial Class A with Restriction 41. This is required for a 5th wheel where the GVWR is between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs. For this, take the same written test as the non-commercial Class A - but skip all the rest of the stuff. The stuff the OP is concerned about.

Restriction 41 is an endorsement for a class C not A for 5vers between 10k to 15k. Non commercial A is for over 15k.

Here is how it reads on my driver's license:
Class C
ENDORSEMENTS: None
Restrictions: 41-Class A restricted to operating fifth wheel travel trailer between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs GVWR

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
I don't think there is a Class A NCDL... I have a Class B NCDL and that sounds like what you are talking about. To answer your question....The "back in" test was indeed made with orange cones and I had to start out perpendicular to the spot and had one chance to get out and look. Also, there was a line marked on the ground at the end of the cones and I had to stop within 3' of it and could not go over.

Hope this helps

Ron

X2, I've had mine for 8 years. Backing up was a breeze with the camera.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

AMG1978
Explorer
Explorer
Class-C can tow:

All Class-C stuff

2012 F-250 6.L Diesel 4x4 Lariat
2016 Forest River WA2916 35' Toy Hauler

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
mrw8i wrote:
Yes, non-commercial class A exists in California. Required if you are pulling a recreational vehicle that meets one of the two following limits:
or

There is another odd one not talked about much, which I have. Non Commercial Class A with Restriction 41. This is required for a 5th wheel where the GVWR is between 10,000 and 15,000 lbs. For this, take the same written test as the non-commercial Class A - but skip all the rest of the stuff. The stuff the OP is concerned about.

Restriction 41 is an endorsement for a class C not A for 5vers between 10k to 15k. Non commercial A is for over 15k.

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
California requires a class A for all trailers over 10k. There is the exemption with the Restriction 41 for RV 5ers between 10k and 15k. All non rv 5th wheel trailers over 10k require the class A. I was stopped several years ago on the Grapevine with my 40' TH, just to check my license class (I have a class A CDL).
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
or

hotpepperkid
Explorer
Explorer
Go here and type non-commercial class A in the search window

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sorry, but I still don't see any reference specifically to there being a CA Class A NCDL. 12804.12 indicates a "restricted" Class A....is that the same thing as a NCDL?

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
12804.9 deals with a Class B NCDL. Again, I don't think there is such an animal as a Class A NCDL...only a Class A CDL.

Could be wrong however......

Ron

Check 12804.12 restricted class A license. 12804.9 lists vehicles legally operated with a class C and if not listed then must be class B com/noncom or if 2 or more vehicles (depending on trailer gvwr) then class A com/noncom. Process of elimination. Commercial drivers hand book has great chart inside cover page that is very easy to understand.