cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arizona (AZDOT) posts new tags for fuel pumps

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Several months ago we had a lengthy discussion about the fuel pump tags in Arizona. Basically, Arizona charges 18 cents tax on fuel for other than commercial vehicles. This can come into play if you're fueling at a commercial pump such as Flying J. This issue came about as the tags on the pumps didn't specify RVs as being exempt. Commercial vehicles get tagged 26 cents per gallon.

To clarify things, I sent an email to the commercial vehicle department of AZDOT. After lengthy discussions, I was assured RVs were exempt and was provided a "memo of understanding" from them stating it was so. I was also assured they would look at the labels and make necessary changes. Today I received an email from Ashwani Bakshi who is the gentleman I've been working with. He included the new pump labels that soon will be on all fuel pumps in Arizona. The new labels carry verbiage specifically excluding RVs.

I hope this clears things up. Safe driving everyone. Enjoy life!....Dennis

We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG
21 REPLIES 21

slemnah
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck getting the rebate at most stations since the cashiers have no idea what you are talking about and don't know how to change the rate. I had a huge problem at a QT on I10 due to the cashier, she insisted that I was to use the RV pumps at the end of the island which has the correct price on it, however I had already pumped in the commercial truck lanes. I insisted that it didn't matter as she still owed me the .008 per gallon. I ended up with my money and contacted the QT home office to let them know of my troubles. What a royal PITA all of that **** is.
Steve

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home,

Interesting, thanks for explaining.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I appreciate the thanks, but the real thanks goes to Mr. Basaki for jumping thru the hoops to help RVrs out. I only posed the problem and solution to him. He did the rest. Safe travels everyone. Come and enjoy Arizona. 75 degree weather....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:
down home wrote:
What we have done is pay inside of course for truck diesel pumps, and signed a log, with our plate number. The Clerk made the tax adjustment, and we paid the non commercial or cheaper price.
Why did you sign a log? Is it a commercial account? Is this for AZ?

They just had a log book or ledger book, I signed and make of MH and ta number.
I suppose it is to show tax people if they come round.
I've only fueled up few times in Az. The Flying J in Kingman at RV pumps, and Pilot on I10.
I stopped at the lat place because the posted price truck price for fuel was quite a bit cheaper than Flyin J. It was truck stop and we couldn't get into car lanes.
A bit greasy but saved about 45.00 on fill up in 2012.

MrWizard
Having 34 ft DP at 2x,xxx pounds and No towed, I have never used a truck pump at a truck stop, in Az
And had no knowledge of extra commercial fuel tax at the pump
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Exec,
I also followed this almost from the onset. I contacted you a while ago to see if any change has been submitted. At that time, (around a few months ago) there was none. But, I see now that, change has been implemented and all is better now. I thank you for your assistance in helping all of us who utilize AZ fuel pumps.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
down home wrote:
What we have done is pay inside of course for truck diesel pumps, and signed a log, with our plate number. The Clerk made the tax adjustment, and we paid the non commercial or cheaper price.
Why did you sign a log? Is it a commercial account? Is this for AZ?

Bob

down_home
Explorer
Explorer

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, this got crazy a couple of years ago with people alleging that the tax police were laying in weight for tandem axle coaches who tried to fuel up at the wrong pumps.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

imgoin4it
Explorer
Explorer
We have been refueling in Arizona for years and when we must fill at truck pumps either my DW or I go in and tell the cashier we are a motor home, have never paid the tax and have never had a problem.
Howard,Connie,& Bella,
One spoiled schnauzer
2007 Newmar KSDP
4dr Jeep Wrangler

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks for the update.. And for taking action

When last I looked at the tags they said "Under 26001 pounds" so since the CGVW of my house is 26000, I felt ok. but now that they add RV's. even if I upgarde I'm good. (And I was at 24,000 when I gassed up, not towing)
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you, EXECUTIVE. I've been following this issue with you for quite a while and had copies of your correspondence with Mr. Ashwani Bakshi in case I was ever challenged for fueling at the wrong pump with my 40,000 lb. rig.

It's also refreshing that Mr Bakshi took the time and effort to actually change the bureaucracy in Arizona for RV'ers and got things changed. It proves that good people with reasonable goals CAN change the system when they approach it with a reasonable approach.

Again, THANKS!
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry cad wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
All of the confusion started a few years back when the Escapees published a article indicating a RV paid the higher tax rate in AZ which was incorrect. It's great that the labels are now being changed.

Yes, it's great that the labels are being changed, but the question remains, how do you get the lower price?? It certainly sounds like an inconvenience at least!
If you use the GS cards and Pilot/FJ truck pumps then the price is automatically reduced. Otherwise you first go inside leave your CC and tell them you are a RV.

I'm not aware of any US truck pumps for any stations where you can pay at the pump with a CC. If you have a commercial account you can but then I'd guess you pay the higher price in AZ. There may be some and/or RV lanes. I have an account with a small commercial provider in western Canada where I can use my CC.

Yes it's inconvenient. I treat it as a break and sometimes talk to the truckers inside. Fuel up, DW pulls the rig forward while I go inside for the second time.

Bob

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
I have always had to go inside to get the differance back if not at a light duty pump island.