cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Around the Campfire - litterally!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Actually this fits better in RV Lifestyle, but the topic really is about campfires. Now, about the time you think you've seen just about everything, someone does come up with a new "gadget!" Check this out! What a great idea!

Click here.
15 REPLIES 15

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
We were taught to make self-feeding fires similar those shown back in the 60's when I was in cold weather survival school. We used the wood only method of course, and why we wanted it to continuously burn should be self evident in those circumstances.

:R Aint it the way of things nowdays!
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I have done this a few times while on hunting trips in cold wet weather. It allows the fire to burn continually. Even during wet periods the fire will always be lit.

Only thing I have found is that it tends to be more smokey than a normal stacked fire that you allow to burn free and feed. Once the surface of the log gets going the flames will die off to a lower flame than a stacked free fed fire.
Just a reminder,, This will burn constantly,,for the entire length of the pile on both sides and smoke constantly as it pre heats the next log.
Hope your neighbors don't mind smoke 24 hours at a time!!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
We outgrew wood fires:

- In the RV we now bring along an outstanding propane firepit so we can have a fire anywhere, anytime. It's adjustable flame rises up out of "coals" that never go away ... the coals soon heat up and radiate heat that is added to the heat from the flames. We roast hot dogs and marshmallows on it too. We just turn a knob to douse it when we turn in for the night. The only way to go!

- In our residence we had the old wood burning fireplace torn out and replaced with a full size propane fireplace . It's flames rise up out of "logs" that never go away. It is turned on/off and has infinitely adjustable flames using a small remote control. The radiant heat from it's "logs" and backwall bricks warm objects in the room ... not the air in the room ... so we feel soothing warmth on our bodies almost immediately. The air in the room gets heated gradually by the warm objects in the room. What a wonderful invention and the only way to go!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
Clever idea but half the fun of a camp fire is getting it going and feeding it wood.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
Doesn't look like it will feed pallets...

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Half the fun of having a camp fire is poking at it.

I believe that this thing would male a smokey fire, because everything is laying parallel (equals no air).

I fix washers and dryers for a living and the front load washer tubs are a nice stainless basket.

Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We were taught to make self-feeding fires similar those shown back in the 60's when I was in cold weather survival school. We used the wood only method of course, and why we wanted it to continuously burn should be self evident in those circumstances.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
I hear there will soon be an app for that. Set up, light, feed and control your campfire from your phone.....
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
More junk to clutter up the storage space.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Not for me. If I tried it, I'm sure the whole thing would take off and have a real rip roaring fire going. Always taught to keep potential fuels away from the current one.

dewey02
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with many responses here that this looks like a solution in search of a problem.

When you are sitting around a campfire, what else do you have to do that is so pressing that you can't toss a log on every 30 minutes or so?

The hopper in the photo is only holding round logs. I can't imagine that it would work as well with split wood.

And the webpage says something like "you won't have to wake up in the middle of the night to feed your fire." Why are you leaving a fire unattended while you are sleeping or gone from the immediate area?

This guy might have something to say about that!

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
At the onset the Swedish Log Stove looks cool but I am kind of skeptical, I don't know why and they have been available in many stores out here for years. Some are even rated by burn time. We're on our way to "Q" next Saturday and maybe I'll drop by OSH and pick one up.

As for the self feeding gadget, NOT TO EXCITING, out here in fire country it looks like folks might wander off to do other things during fourteen hours. I feel most established RVers would monitor their fire, but there are too many who wouldn't and that is an un-attended forest fire starting devise waiting to happen.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
mdcamping wrote:
cool idea, but not for me

Mike

I agree. To me, it seems like more work setting this up than it is throwing a log on the fire.
But, it is interesting and ingenious.

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
cool idea, but not for me

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)