cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kwikee electric steps

bamaman3
Explorer
Explorer
How do I fix sagging steps on a Suncruiser motorhome? The outside bolts have pulled the metal plate down and the steps give when they are used.
7 REPLIES 7

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
bamaman3 wrote:
How do I fix sagging steps on a Suncruiser motorhome? The outside bolts have pulled the metal plate down and the steps give when they are used.

Had an old coach once with the problem and there was just no way to bolt it back up properly, like the way it was, so ended up with a metal strap to go across the underside and for bolting it to some framework. Made it so that the more I tightened the bolts, the tighter it pulled up on the step assembly.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Jim@HiTek wrote:
I found a nice metal plate above my 2 step welded to the frame. But the bolts holding the steps to that plate had rusted out. Replacing them stopped the sag.

In your case, perhaps that plate needs to be re-welded to the frame?

Also how rusty was the mount plate?

My entire undercarriage was covered in rust. But there weren't any rust throughs on that plate. The holes were still usable. The welds were still fine. If needed I would have painted it with Jasco Rust Restorative but it wasn't that bad. The bolts were all rusted out though so put in all new ones. My Bounder had a mud flap just ahead of the steps so they and the step assembly stayed relatively clean when traveling.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
On our 2001 Adventurer the plate cracked around the bolts that hold the stairs in place. I removed the stairs (4 nuts and 2 wire connectors. I then pounded the plate back to the original position and welded the cracks.

I then cut a piece of 7 gauge sheet metal the exact size of the original support plate. I drilled clearance holes for the bolts and welded it in place under the original plate.

As I recall the repair was made in 2008. It was still holding fine wen we traded off the motorhome in 2013 with over 100,000 miles on the odometer.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Jim@HiTek wrote:
I found a nice metal plate above my 2 step welded to the frame. But the bolts holding the steps to that plate had rusted out. Replacing them stopped the sag.

Also how rusty was the mount plate?
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer

Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Gjac
Explorer III
Explorer III
enblethen wrote:
Some steps have carriage bolts through the floor to hold the steps. The heads of the bolts work through the floor.
You could check this and maybe install larger plates to disperse the weight more.
I used 4 inch square metal electrical box covers.
. This is how I fixed mine also. The other problem than causes steps to sag is when the self tapping screws that attach horizontally to the frame shears off. When this happened to me I installed larger screws and that fixed the sag.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Some steps have carriage bolts through the floor to hold the steps. The heads of the bolts work through the floor.
You could check this and maybe install larger plates to disperse the weight more.
I used 4 inch square metal electrical box covers.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker