Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fleetguard Coolant EG vs. PG

joraz
Explorer
Explorer
97 Cummins 8.3

I bought this rig a few months back. It is running Fleetguard ES Compleat PG coolant. I am having a hard time locating any of this stuff. Everyone stocks EG. Can these be mixed? I intend to call Cummins too. As I understand it, the PG is supposed to be more environmentally friendly but otherwise has the same characteristics as the EG.

Also, Cummins has been maintaining this rig and they have been installing a coolant filter with DCAs. I thought that ELC type coolant used just a blank filter rather than one with DCAs. Thanks.
jor
09 LazyDaze
2 REPLIES 2

jtfcons
Explorer
Explorer
K Charles wrote:
If you mix them the freeze point can't be easily found.

Good point, the freeze point checking device has to be the right one for PG otherwise erroneous readings. The EG checker is the most common and will not give correct results. Otherwise I buy my PG Compleat coolant thru Cummins. I like the stuff and as recognized, won't kill the dog or cat but might give them a good dose of laxative.

The DCA should be monitored using test strips. Last time I bought them from Cummins I asked specifically whether they would test PG coolant and was told yes, so make sure to ask. If DCA needed, I have used both coolant filter charged ones and bottled DCA. I prefer the coolant filter cartrige, just seems to make more sense regarding mixing it with the coolant over a period of time rather than a "shot" approach.
John & Sharon, 2 Daughters, 2 Sons-in-law, 5 GK, 1GGK
Rat Terriers (Twiggy, Annie)
1997 HR Imp., 38CDS, 1 Slide
325 Cummins C8.3Mech., MD3060, EBw/Coast.Sw.,
Toad-2003 GMC Envoy 4X4, Excallibar TB, Pressure Pro TPMS, Henderson Mot. Ctrl. Units

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
If you mix them the freeze point can't be easily found.