Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inverter & Solar Charge Controller Box

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Hello and thanks all in advance!

I am about to install 2 100 watt renogy solar panels and have limited space for inverter and charge controller. I created a fire retardant wooden box that I want to install in the front storage compartment. The only problem (i think, assume) is that my two propane tanks are in the front compartment. Would it be safe to house the inverter and charge controller next to tank? I would of course provide ventellation. I have space in a cabinet next to my be but that would put the distance to the battery bank at around 5-6 feet or so? Would the cabinet be a better alternative? Thanks
6 REPLIES 6

djgodden
Explorer
Explorer
Ventilation is required, unlikely to be a problem. I'd not bother to encase the charge controller at all because it too needs to be cooled.
2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTD HO, Edge Evo CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
Surely the propane compartment is ventilated. It must be required by law.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingbob wrote:
I see no problem , we all have our batteries and propane very close . All your wiring will be fused.

Not a chance on the planet I'd locate an electrical device like an inverter in an enclosed, sealed compartment along with propane tanks. :E I'd likewise not enclose a fan cooled inverter in any small box that could prevent proper cooling of the device. 😞 I mounted my own 1000 watt fan cooled inverter in my trailer's front pass through cargo compartment where it's completely isolated from the tanks mounted on the tongue, is completely protected from the elements, and where there is plenty of air around it for cooling. 🙂 Doing so required 6' of 4 gauge cable to reach the battery for the load I typically impose on the inverter.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I see no problem , we all have our batteries and propane very close . All your wiring will be fused .

er78mph
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, no pics. Yes, compartment is sealed from rest of trailer. At the very front of my trailer I have the main compartment that opens up and the 2 tanks are there. There is like two feet of storage to either side of the tanks. I was going to hang the box and run the CC and inverter in there.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
er78mph wrote:
I created a fire retardant wooden box that I want to install in the front storage compartment. The only problem (i think, assume) is that my two propane tanks are in the front compartment.

Pics would help as I'm trying to imagine what you mean by your "two propane tanks are in the front compartment". :h Is this front compartment sealed from the rest of the trailer? :@
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380