cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Kentucky Horse Farm

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about going to Kentucky Horse Farm outside of Lexington this summer when we start our summer trip. Has anyone been there and any advise?
15 REPLIES 15

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
JohnMo, I should have mentioned we are looking at sometime in May being at the Kentucky Horse Park. Thanks for the info. Being from Florida we stay home in the winter time.

JohnMo
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed there a few times. Leveling is a challenge as others have pointed out.

The bathhouse on the office side of the park is being renovated. Not sure if that's currently ongoing or complete. Last newsletter I saw said the bathhouse on the pool side of the campground would be under construction later this year.

Water is turned off during the winter months and there are no sites with a full hookup. No cable TV.

We like it there for a long weekend.

I haven't stayed at Whispering Hills. If you're looking for an alternative campground in the area, I recommend highly Elkhorn Campground east of Frankfort. They are very fine folks and they have some camp sites where water is on through the winter. Those sites are rented monthly, but if one is open they might be able to put you on it for less than a month.
2009 Winnebago 35J Ford
2003 Suzuki XL-7
Blue-Ox Aventa LX

pigfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you one and all. I did mean Park and not Farm. We will check it out and also the Ark Encounter. We have been full timing and 3/4 timing for 20+ years and finding new places we haven't been is getting rather difficult. We are open to all suggestions. Thanks again.

bobcatcharlie
Explorer
Explorer
We have had two great stays at the Kentucky Horse Park. Grandkids loved the horseback rides.
2004 Dutch Star

Mike_Taverniti
Explorer
Explorer
Nice park. Stayed there many times. No sewer hookups. All sites very spacious.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
About the 90 degree back ins. The roads allow two-way traffic, but the locations of trees make backing into some sites difficult if you are going in the wrong direction. (We there in October this year.) I would do a drive-by of your site first and then decide which direction is easier.

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I prefer the primitive section.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

Twomed
Explorer
Explorer
All sites are 90 degree back ins...no angles. Sooo lots of entertainment, but nice park. ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
Happy Trails ๐Ÿ™‚
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

PamfromVA
Explorer
Explorer
Get a reservation on the outside loops. Much quieter.
2016 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2017 Dodge Ram 3500
One DH
two very spoiled camping dogs

Stormy_Eyes
Explorer
Explorer
car2900 wrote:
I assume you mean the Kentucky Horse Park and campground. The Horse Park campground is very nice except many of the sites are not level front to back and no sewer hook up. Front or back tires may be off the ground when you get leveled. There is a nice full hook up RV park on up the road in Georgetown, Ky, Whispering Hills RV Park.
Beautiful area.
one warning about Whispering Hills...We were there in Summer...warm+no shad+ full park witha/c run on all units= repeated power failures...sweltering in generator exhaust...unpleasant office staff just blamed power company. I would not go back in summer.

car2900
Explorer
Explorer
I assume you mean the Kentucky Horse Park and campground. The Horse Park campground is very nice except many of the sites are not level front to back and no sewer hook up. Front or back tires may be off the ground when you get leveled. There is a nice full hook up RV park on up the road in Georgetown, Ky, Whispering Hills RV Park.
Beautiful area.
2017 Tiffin Phaeton 40 AH
2010 Chevy HHR toad
Blue Ox Avail - SMI AF-1

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked RVParkReviews.com? Many reviews there.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

jim6090
Explorer
Explorer
We have been to the area the last two summers. So much to do. Bourbon Trail stops. Will go again in another year or so.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Used to live in the area, and spent many hours there. But, it has been a number of years since we have been there. If you have any interests in horses, and or racing, it is the home of many type of equestrian events. The museum there was first-class, and the RV campground was one of the nicest ever. Beautiful country, especially in the springtime. Our daughter went to school there, we have been to many events there. Probably would be good to make advance reservations for the campground. AND, it is right in the middle of The Kentucky whisky circuit. Avoid the KU football weekends, and Derby week will be impossible.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.