cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canada NP Fees.

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I know that in 2017 enter to NPs are free. In 2008 on my trip to AK I drove from Banff to Jasper and stop to see Lake Louise. I did not camp in the NP and only stopped for lunch at Lake Louise. I do not remember paying any fee. The same is for Waterton NP. I did a day trip to the NP but can not remember paying any fee.

Is old age making me forget? . . . :h. . . What is the "normal" fee to enter the NPs. How are the fees collected around Banff and Jasper and the BC side of the mountain. I think there is 3 or 4 NPs that adjoin each other.

Please educate this "southern boy".
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
13 REPLIES 13

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
AKsilvereagle wrote:

cpurves wrote:
The normal entry fee is $ 19.50 a car per day. If you camp then there are the camping fees on top of that.

I am hoping the posted amount is a typo, and if this is true - then Parks Canada have more that doubled their day fee in the area.

Not a typo. $ 9.80 for one person. $ 19.50 for a family in one vehicle. It's been around $19.00 for years now. We have been going since the 70s.
The entrance fees are pretty close to the fees for US parks and worth it for the services and scenery that's in the parks.
Old dog learning new tricks.

GMC 3500 crewcab longbox 4x4 duramax
Cougar 310SRX - we use the toyhauler for our photo equip
www.photos-now.ca

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
As others had posted, on Trans Canada Highways 1 and 16 you can "pass thru" into Banff and Jasper National Parks without having to pay the daily park fee providing you are entering the gate bypass lane(s) or visitors with park pass lane(s).

My first visit in the region was in Sept 2011 entering the east gate of Banff Nat'l Park as I only had 4 days time to visit since I am still a working stiff and only 3 weeks vacation time is allowed for me, so by the time I make it to the Canadian Rockies it takes me 6 days or so to make it back home pushing it to return to work on time without speeding thru frost heaves and construction zones in between to potentially tearing up my old rig which I refuse to do, to put that into perspective....I would purchase the annual pass permitting I had more time off to be worth it believe me.

Sept 2011 - Trans Can 1 Hwy (westbound) East gate out lying boundary of Banff Nat'l Park...the park per day fee was $9.80 :

A couple better pictures taken in Sept 2013 of the east gate area after returning from a a day visit in Canmore on a gorgeous day driving thru the bypass lane :

My second visit was entering thru Kootenay Nat'l Park (from the BC side) at Radium Hot Springs, as I had 12 clear cloudless days of perfect weather from Kitwanga thru the Kootenays that lasted past a couple days after arriving in Banff Nat'l Park....You can also enter thru this portion of BC Hwy 93 without a park pass however I purchased my park pass here for $9.80 per day as well.

Sept 2012 - Kootenay Nat'l Park entrance at Radium Hot springs (south end out lying boundary) bypass lane to the left of building post :

Sept 2012 - Kootenay Nat'l Park entrance (north end in lying boundary) - note this is at the BC-Alberta border where the four joint National Parks do not cross provincial boundaries at all, also there are no patrol gates or building posts within roadways of "in lying" park boundaries with the exception of the Icefields Parkway (AB Hwy 93) as the north end of Kootenay Nat'l Park is bordered within Banff Nat'l Park :

My third consecutive visit to the Canadian Rockies was planned more flexible with what route to take permitting weather patterns and what side trips to take along the way and potential time constraints, however I had to plan that according to which entry point I had not entered with the remaining two National Parks as I originally planned on returning to Revelstoke and enter thru Yoho on Trans Can Hwy 1, however when the really bad weather on the Cassiar Hwy. finally cleared up after boondocking at Ogilvie Creek, I decided to spend three clear nice days in Stewart and Hyder for my second time visit there, so it was a change of routing plan with juggling a longer route for less leisure time in the Canadian Rockies or go direct with more leisure time, so Jasper entrance point it was.

Sept 2013 - Trans Can 16 Hwy (eastbound) West gate about 4km inside the out lying boundary of Jasper Nat'l Park (from BC)...the park per day fee was $9.80 :

Sept 2012 - Trans Can 16 Hwy (westbound) East gate out lying boundary of Jasper Nat'l Park - the other out lying entry point :

Sept 2013 - Icefields parkway north end gate entry point (southbound AB 93 Hwy) at Jasper Nat'l Park .....Note : you must have a valid park pass to proceed thru this point:

Sept 2011 - Icefields parkway south end gate entry point (northbound AB 93 Hwy) at Banff Nat'l Park .....Note : you must have a valid park pass to proceed thru this point:

In 2012 while on my final day in Jasper Nat'l Park, my pass was expiring upon that day, so I planned to head out on Hwy 93a to check out a few sites I didn't get to see on my previous year visit, so when I approached the gate post - the guard noticed my park pass displayed as she said to me "your pass expires in an hour, where are you headed" ? , as I told her I was thinkin' of checkin' out that Edith's cave somethin' place....

She laughed hard and told me that I meant Mt. Edith Cavell and that I would need to re-validate my pass for an extra day in order to proceed, so I did....that was an extra $9.80 for the fee and an extra excuse to spend an extra day in Jasper....and I know for a fact upon my visits that both Icefield Parkway entry points are patrolled 24 hours as I have passed thru there all times of day and night.

Sept 2013 - Alberta 11 Hwy (westbound) East gate out lying boundary of Banff Nat'l Park (looking eastbound as picture turned out blurry) as one of the posters mentioned about this entry point to Saskatchewan Crossing :

This is a nice smooth route and rather scenic all the way past Abraham Lake going eastbound.

This was the first time taking this route upon leaving the park, as I have a friend and colleague that owns farmland and a welding shop between Rocky Mountain House and Red Deer so it wasn't as much out of the way to always visit upon taking the other routes and zig zag side roads to get there for a day layover before heading home or heading to the park depending how I got in the area.

So for the past 3 years I been trying to get to the final entry point and get that fourth remaining park entry reciept that would say Yoho Nat'l Park to add to the other three that says Banff, Kootenay, and Jasper Nat'l Park....so when I ever get to visit that area again, I will be on Trans Can Hwy 1 headed eastbound and purchase a park pass entering Yoho.

cpurves wrote:
The normal entry fee is $ 19.50 a car per day. If you camp then there are the camping fees on top of that.

I am hoping the posted amount is a typo, and if this is true - then Parks Canada have more that doubled their day fee in the area.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Pipeman wrote:
Going into Watertown, there is a gate and you have to buy a pass, daily or yearly and the price depends on number of people and if you're a senior. But not for 2017. We bought a yearly pass last summer and it's good for 2017 also. Now going via 11 to 93, you can go to the store and gas station at Saskatchewan Crossing and not have to pay a fee as I remember. If you leave the same day. If you try to go to Banff or Jasper via 93, you will have to get a pass,and again not for 2017.

Oh, yes, you are correct about Waterton. For some reason I was thinking Well Gray Provincial Park.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Pipeman
Explorer
Explorer
Going into Watertown, there is a gate and you have to buy a pass, daily or yearly and the price depends on number of people and if you're a senior. But not for 2017. We bought a yearly pass last summer and it's good for 2017 also. Now going via 11 to 93, you can go to the store and gas station at Saskatchewan Crossing and not have to pay a fee as I remember. If you leave the same day. If you try to go to Banff or Jasper via 93, you will have to get a pass,and again not for 2017.
Pipeman
Ontario, Canada
35 year Fire Fighter(retired)
VE3PJF

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
whatimmadoboutmylegs wrote:
daveB110 wrote:
If you are not stopping to camp,or stay, but merely driving through you won't have to pay. The highways are not toll roads. I'm hoping I got that right, its been awhile.

This is true for Highway 16, (Valemount, BC to Hinton, AB via Jasper Park) but not Highway 93 (Banff to Jasper).

Yes they aren't toll roads. Usually if you are going through on the Trans Canada highway (highway one) or on the Yellowhead (highway 16) then there is no charge. But anytime you are travelling on the Icefields parkway (highway 93) you are entering the park and that requires the park entry fee. For 2017 those fees are waived.

www.photos-now.ca

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
The OP may have came through the park entrance real late in the afternoon or early evening when the Park Office was closed.

whatimmadoboutm
Explorer
Explorer
daveB110 wrote:
If you are not stopping to camp,or stay, but merely driving through you won't have to pay. The highways are not toll roads. I'm hoping I got that right, its been awhile.

This is true for Highway 16, (Valemount, BC to Hinton, AB via Jasper Park) but not Highway 93 (Banff to Jasper).

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
My understanding is they will give you a free pass at the toll booth if you do not get one on line. They want you to get one on line to speed up the entrance process.
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
If you are not stopping to camp,or stay, but merely driving through you won't have to pay. The highways are not toll roads. I'm hoping I got that right, its been awhile. But I am wondering, why you would need to stop even if you were staying, during the year 2017? Is it free only to those who get an online Free Pass? This seemingly straightforward edict, has some twists in its administration if not studied carefully.

cpurves
Explorer
Explorer
We buy a yearly pass because we are only 4 hours from Jasper and are through the area at least 6 times a year.
For 2017 the entrance fees are waived but you still have to pay for camping.
Most of the RV Parks in Banff and Jasper are already booked for the long weekends this year. Might be some cancellations so always good to check. We have just showed up at Jasper on a long weekend and got into an unserviced site.

www.photos-now.ca

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, that's what I remember too Yeti plus - we purchased a Canada Parks Pass in advance of our trips years back and went through a toll booth and had to show it then. Also had to show it when we camped at Two Jack, Lake Louise, and near Jasper at Whistlers. Didn't have to show it when we went to Takaka Falls or to Moran or Waterton, so we assumed that our one toll booth entry covered it all.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Yeti_plus
Explorer
Explorer
There are"toll booths" at the entrances on the highways into Banff and Jasper where you would pay the day use fee to enter the parks. I don't know what the fees are because we have an annual pass.
If you are planning to go to any of the Canadian National Parks this year, I would order the annual pass, it is free for 2017 and is a commemorative pass so it looks different to the regular annual pass. To order go to the Parks Canada website and follow the links.
It took me 3 tries to get mine ordered because of the large demand and the website just bogged down.
2014 Chevrolet 3500 CC 4X4 Duramax, Tork Lift Tiedowns, TorkLift Fastguns, Superhitch and supertruss
2009 Jayco 213 SOLD
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
We never paid any fees other than for the CG when we camped in the Banff area.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper