cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pergo floor under the slide

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
This Pergo floor debate has been had here before so I'd like to keep this specific to the topic please.

I am considering putting a Pergo floor over my vinyl floor in my travel
trailer. My concern is getting it down under the lip of the slide so that the slide does not tear the floor up when moving in.

I'd like to know how others handled this. In my trailers case the slide ran over a carpeted floor (I tore out the carpeting long ago to expose the underlying vinyl)

I am thinking I might have to loosen the entire slid and jack it up so I can get as much access as possible but that is a rather big job I'd rather avoid.

Please I dont want to debate the pros and cons of the Pergo installation I am well aware of both sides of that argument and have given them due consideration.

Thanks in advance
7 REPLIES 7

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Aha! yes this makes perfect sense. Thanks for your input. and the photos.

Bruce_Brown
I had the same concerns when I did over the TT, it turned out to be a non-issue. I believe your slide and my slide work the same. I was surprised at how much extra travel the slide had when the faceplate was removed. I never unhooked my slide, I just gave it something else to land on, which in my case was a plank supported between (2) floorjacks. I never unhooked or adjusted anything on the mechanical part of it. It is adjusted the same today as it was the day I started this project.

Take a look at this picture - the slide is still mechanically attached to the TT, it's just cranked out farther than it is when the faceplate stops it.

These may give you a better view;

This one shows how far it's out, the header being supported is the outside wall;

And another view, with it out this far I had 100% full access to where the original carpet was fastened.

This might be the best picture yet, as it shows the new carpet installed in front of the slide.

Obviously yours wouldn't be torn apart as much as this one, but it's really not a hard job. I have about 400 hours into the rebuild on this one, 395 of them were a blast. :B

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

fulltimedaniel
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who have answered. Taking my slide out is a big project. It has two gear racks that ride in square steel tubes. The slide is driven by one motor via an acme screw with a shaft that turns a gear on the other end of the slide so that both sides travel in at the same time.

There are adjustments in every plane for this slide and having adjusted it myself once I would really like to avoid this again if possible.

But I am afraid that if I want the floor to work properly I will have to get the floor all the way under the slide. Which means removing it.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I've considered the pergo, but after doing pergo in a laundry room, am somewhat concerened about how much pergo weighs. the stuff isn't lightweight. so if your marginal on cargo weight might want to make sure you'll be ok.

Personally I'd much rather have vinyl or pergo than carpet in the living areas of the trailer. Carpet is fine, actually nice in the bedroom, but vinyl or pergo would be my choice in the living areas.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
TheBreu wrote:
In my particular case, if you lift the flap of carpet, there is metal edge on the floor where the cut out is for the slide and you can run pergo right up to it.

That is exactly how I did it....no problems.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

Bruce_Brown
When I did my TT over a few years back, the flooring on this one tucked under a long plastic piece. I would think it might have been a touch tight getting it under that piece. I'm sure it could be modified slightly to make it fit.

My bigger concern would be the skids supporting the slide tearing up the Pergo, if it does indeed have skids. Our slide moves freely, as it skids along the carpet. Our MH has rollers that support the slide.

As far as lifting the slide if needed, that was a pretty easy job. In the rehab above I had the entire slide out. I simply removed the faceplate of the slide, then, while being supported from below, just cranked the slide out, leaving it supported on the jack stands/planking while I worked on the TT.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

TheBreu
Explorer
Explorer
In my particular case, if you lift the flap of carpet, there is metal edge on the floor where the cut out is for the slide and you can run pergo right up to it.

2000 F350
2000 Fleetwood Mallard