cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacing rv toilet.

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
We are gonna move back into a cabin type rv in a campground.
Can the rv toilet be replaced with a regular toilet like in a house.
Thanks.
God Bless †
14 REPLIES 14

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't remove or bypass the tank the pyramid will eventually be a problem. With the volume of water per flush it may take a little longer to form than with a n rv toilet. If you can just imagine: If you were the t...d, what would you do?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
John&Joey wrote:
A common toilet uses 1.6 gallons, a black tank holds let say 40 gallons. That gives you about 25 flushes before you need to dump. 25 flushes for two people would be every day or two for dumping.

Now if you left the valve open you would get the pyramid of poo in no time at all.

Proven solution to prevent this:
With one person, keep the shutter-valve on the drain pipe closed and only open it every other day (and then close it again for 2-3 days).
With 2 people open it once a day - say, in the morning.

Needless to remind to always add some water or liquid waste before using it again after emptying.

RV toilet with all-porcelain bowl with a proper swirl-flushing like Dometic 310/320 would be my preferred solution when water supply is limited.

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
I've been reading up on composting toilets.
Doesn't sound like any trouble at all. Will be great during winter when the parks water is off.

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
...You could leave the black tank open if you like as the volume of water would prevent and sort of a poop pyramid from forming. ...

I wouldn't bet the farm on that. A couple of 45's to the black tank then a side exit out and you would be singing the dried up pile song in no time.

Then again, that would be someone else's problem to fix. :R
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
If this is going to be a "cabin style" that never moves then the answer is yes, you can install a home style toilet. You could leave the black tank open if you like as the volume of water would prevent and sort of a poop pyramid from forming. You could also close the holding tank valve and use dump ever few days. That only takes a few minutes so it's not a big deal at all. You mentioned just getting a riser or a taller RV toilet which is fine as well but if you like a residential toilet...Go for it!
I installed a MircroFlush toilet by Microphor which looks and functions like a residential toilet without the standing water in the tank and I would never go back to an RV toilet.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

John_Joey
Explorer
Explorer
coolmom42 wrote:
ScottG wrote:
You would have to bypass the holding tank to use a regular toilet. Otherwise, the solids will collect in the black tank and clog it.

HUH?

It's a math thing. A common toilet uses 1.6 gallons, a black tank holds let say 40 gallons. That gives you about 25 flushes before you need to dump. 25 flushes for two people would be every day or two for dumping.

Now if you left the valve open you would get the pyramid of poo in no time at all.

Only real option is to take the tank out and hard pipe the house toilet to the park sewer line.
There’s no fool, like an old fool.

coolmom42
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
You would have to bypass the holding tank to use a regular toilet. Otherwise, the solids will collect in the black tank and clog it.

HUH?
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a Thetford Residence toilet that is a little higher than standard.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
I just replaced ours with a taller, porcelain toilet. Works great.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
?? That is what the black tank does. Why not use a riser or purchase a taller rv toilet?

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
If all you want is a higher toilet, they make a riser specifically to raise the height of an RV toilet about 3".

TheKunkels
Explorer
Explorer
It's a cabin on a trailer with holding tanks. I guess they manufactured them years back.
Want to have the toilet higher. Maybe just buy a new rv toilet.

Toddupton
Explorer
Explorer
Don't understand what you are asking. Is it a cabin or trailer with holding tanks?