cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Walmart vs Cracker Barrel for overnight stops off I 95

Lakegirl
Explorer
Explorer
We need a stop near Florida/Georgia border off I95. We will be in a 35 ft Motorhome towing a jeep. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. We have never had a layover at either, so not sure what to do. Thanks!
34 REPLIES 34

mackr
Explorer
Explorer
Have stayed at the Walmart at the airport exit several times. First time we stayed I just pulled in and found space to park. Got up next morning had sticker on door I was illegally parked and license number reported but didn't say who it was put on by. Ask manger next time and they said park on side next to Lowes but not on Lowe's property. Later found out it was the man sweeping parking lot that put sticker on. Had same thing happen when parked across street near panera bread store.

Lakegirl
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all who responded. It appears Walmart is a favorite of veteran travelers!

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
Walmart camping! There's one south of Jacksonville near the beltway that has a huge lot...
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
jimroach wrote:
We have a 36 ft, towing a jeep. Your average Cracker Barrel is going to be to small for you.

X2
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Campgrounds are for camping.

Walmart parking lot is for parking.

Rest stops are for resting.

๐Ÿ˜„

There are exceptions and two rest areas do come to mind. Out west somewhere in both Washington State and N. Dakota. One in Wash. had a back wall with a wildlife viewing area and the women's club was there at 7am the next morning with coffee and donuts. They had a dump station as well.
The other, I'm most sure was the ND welcome center heading east and it overlooked the badlands where you could see for miles and observe wild horses and bison. Not like the badlands of SD, but still badlands.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
In reference to the size of the Cracker Barrel lots. We are talking overnighting not coming in during the middle of breakfast or lunch. In the evenings after dark the lots are vacant for the most part. Get an early breakfast and hit the road.
I agree there are some lots that are not easily accessible however the same can be said for few Wal Marts as well
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
Lakegirl wrote:
We need a stop near Florida/Georgia border off I95. We will be in a 35 ft Motorhome towing a jeep. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. We have never had a layover at either, so not sure what to do. Thanks!
You will get more crime for the same price at W. Mart. I'd put a 1/2 in sheat of steel on the side I lay my head on.
Hope it helps
So big a world, so little time to see.

jimroach
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 36 ft, towing a jeep. Your average Cracker Barrel is going to be to small for you.
Jim, Bonnie, Dakota and Sapphire
2014 Jeep Wrangler
2012 Fleetwood Southwind

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
I have done Cabela, Wal-Marts and CB in the past. But to answer your question I used Wal-Mart in Jacksonville off of I95.
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have used both Wal-Mart and CB. In all cases but 1 I have had much better success at Wal-Mart. Getting in and getting out of a CB can be difficult and the space alloted is not always the amount needed for your big RV and a towed. I have gotten in and taken up 2 "bus" slots to keep from blocking the travel lanes. Given the choice, I would be at Wal-Mart! It's likely that Janet needs something from the grocery anyway so Wal-Mart fills the bill in several different ways.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:

๐Ÿ˜„

I like the Wal Mart rest stops.:)
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ˜„

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
I rv wrote:
why not support the campgrounds,safe and all services.I'm being polite

I have no problem with that WHEN there's a park where we need it to be at a price that makes sense for the time we need it. But when there isn't...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Walmart. Parking lot security and and endless supply of cold ice cream & food. Plus there are tools, parts, and glue if you need it. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.