cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Undercover Swing Case Tool Box

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to get an RDS auxiliary tank tool box combo (have the post about it elsewhere on this forum) and it appears it's highly recommended by most of y'all to get the one that stays below the bed rails of the truck. Unfortunately that means it's the one with only a 6" deep tool box. Was looking for other ways to increase storage when I found the Swing Case made by Undercover and really like everything about it. Problem is on one of the many web sites I went to (which I can't find or remember now) one of them said it can't be used with a fifth wheel but didn't explain why. I am assuming they say that because you might not be able to access or open the lid with the fiver hitched up?

Any experience with the Swing Case or ideas why else it wouldn't work with a fifth wheel? I wouldn't assume it would interfere with hitching up and travel.

Thanks,
Robert
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB
13 REPLIES 13

uncledon
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
I always thought something like this was a great layout for truck bed storage boxes...

Google Image

My truck bed uses the FOLD-A-COVER brand hard folding panels which would work just fine with the above shown type boxes with the fifthe wheel hitch. the hard folding panels will stackup behind the truck rear window and not interfere with the fifth wheel hitch operation...

Google Image

Then when you have your fifth wheel setup at the camp site you can totally enclose your truck bed for more security for storage of things...

Roy Ken

I looked at a number of tonneau covers including the BAK FLIP and FOLD-A-COVER. There always seemed to be an issue with clearance for the toolbox lid on the RDS models. I think it was the FOLD-A-COVER where the first panel behind the cab could be folded forward. The issue was that the pivot point between the panels nearest the cab would be over the toolbox/tank so the lid would not clear. I just couldn't find a hard panel cover that when folded up would allow access into the toolbox. Any toolbox/tank combos I've seen need a minimum of 1-1/2" to allow lid to be opened fully.

You say in your model the panels stack up behind the cab. What model do you have and how much space is taken up over the bed when stacked as you mention?
2002 Silverado 3500 DRW CC 6.6L Turbo diesel
2009 Heartland Bighorn 3055RL
2002 Bass Tracker Pro 175 XT w/ 90/65 Merc Jet

nremtp143
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
While I was getting something out of the bed I realized this would interfere with the factory wire plug if I put it on the drivers side. On the passenger side I have a step mounted to the tail gate but need to look it over to see if they would interfere with each other or maybe work to some degree.

Bingo! I know a few that have used the case on the driver's side, but they relocated the 7way plug to the tailgate. Tedious, but it's all in what you want.
2016 Montana 3790RD, Legacy Edition, G614s, TST TPMS
2008 Thor Vortex 26FS
2013 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4, Edge CTS, B&W Companion, Viair 10007 Air System, Firestone Air Bags
2001 Excursion Limited 7.3L 4x4, V/B Springs
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW CCLB 8.1L/Allison 4x4

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
RoyB wrote:
I always thought something like this was a great layout for truck bed storage boxes...

Roy Ken

I like my setup.

SB full of boxes and hitch. Chris

that's a **** nice setup! Nice hitch too!
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
While I was getting something out of the bed I realized this would interfere with the factory wire plug if I put it on the drivers side. On the passenger side I have a step mounted to the tail gate but need to look it over to see if they would interfere with each other or maybe work to some degree.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
IMO, the only real reason for a large aux tank is to take advantage of low fuel prices in one area vs somewhere else down the road. I simply carry 1 or 2 jugs in the back of the truck, depending on my route, and add those if, and when, needed. I (we) usually need to make a pit stop anyway, so the extra few minutes to add a jug to get me to the next stop isn't a big deal. Now, would I like to have the oversize Transferflow OEM replacement tank? Hell, yeah! 🙂

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

STANG23L
Explorer
Explorer
I have both sides on my truck under a toneau cover. And yes you can not open the lid very far under the toneau. But as long as you can open the tailgate and swing them out you can get into them without any problem. I do not see any problem using them with a goose/5th wheel hitch.
2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FireRob wrote:
RoyB wrote:

Google Image

Roy Ken

Is that a functional hitch in that truck? I don't see any pin grabbers and it just looks really different.

HA, good eye! Looks like about what that Dually can handle. 😉

Nice BIG bed height 30" front to back tool box for me. I carry a 5 that I have modified to actually pour fuel, have used it ONCE. I highly advise traveling without a big fuel tank and see if you actually need it.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Mopar_Mudder
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
Looking to get an RDS auxiliary tank tool box combo (have the post about it elsewhere on this forum) and it appears it's highly recommended by most of y'all to get the one that stays below the bed rails of the truck. Unfortunately that means it's the one with only a 6" deep tool box. Was looking for other ways to increase storage when I found the Swing Case made by Undercover and really like everything about it. Problem is on one of the many web sites I went to (which I can't find or remember now) one of them said it can't be used with a fifth wheel but didn't explain why. I am assuming they say that because you might not be able to access or open the lid with the fiver hitched up?

Any experience with the Swing Case or ideas why else it wouldn't work with a fifth wheel? I wouldn't assume it would interfere with hitching up and travel.

Thanks,
Robert

I have a swing case in my dually and it works fine with a fifth wheel, no clearance problem. It really is a great idea but the mounting bracket is a combination of plastic and pot metal. Don't expect to put much for weight in it, mine broke off a couple months after installing it, now it sits in the garage. great idea if they would spend an extra $10 on a decent bracket.
2008 Dodge Dually Mega Cab - Resitol Edition
1999 Jayco Designer 3710

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:

Roy Ken

I like my setup.

SB full of boxes and hitch. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
greende wrote:
I do not have experience with these but they are 29" long and go over the back of the wheel well. My guess is that they may hit the 5th wheel hitch as you try to swing them around to get into them. Perhaps that is why some say not to use them with a 5er. I see the website has a contact number. Call or email them & ask. Good luck & let us know. One can never have too much storage......

Ah good point. I don't own a fithwheel rig or hitch yet so can't swing and imaginary swing box/tape measure to see. I could use my prep package pucks as a guide though.

The good thing is I guess if I get this before I switch over to a fithwheel it looks like it's still easy to remove and/but not swing it out if that ends up being a problem

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:

Google Image

Roy Ken

Is that a functional hitch in that truck? I don't see any pin grabbers and it just looks really different.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II

Google Image

My truck bed uses the FOLD-A-COVER brand hard folding panels which would work just fine with the above shown type boxes with the fifthe wheel hitch. the hard folding panels will stackup behind the truck rear window and not interfere with the fifth wheel hitch operation...

Google Image

Then when you have your fifth wheel setup at the camp site you can totally enclose your truck bed for more security for storage of things...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

greende
Explorer
Explorer
I do not have experience with these but they are 29" long and go over the back of the wheel well. My guess is that they may hit the 5th wheel hitch as you try to swing them around to get into them. Perhaps that is why some say not to use them with a 5er. I see the website has a contact number. Call or email them & ask. Good luck & let us know. One can never have too much storage......
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72