cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toilet Leaks

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
Our toilet is leaking - it looks like it's clean water so it's not an emergency at least. The caulk around the bottom has come loose. Would it leak just because the caulk needs replacing, or should I have a service person check it out?
2004 Pleasure-Way Plateau TD
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement
5 REPLIES 5

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
It WAS a valve leak - got it fixed at the service center. Thanks for your comments!
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Intermittent leaks most likely suspect is the 'vacuum breaker'

Small plastic container at top/back of toilet...small hole that gets closed off by flapper when water from valve goes in bottom and then out to toilet bowl.
After flush pedal is closed water drains down, flapper open air enters via small hole stopping any vacuum/siphoning effect.

Sometimes the flapper doesn't close the hole and water leaks out then runs down backside of toilet
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lucytravel12
Explorer
Explorer
It's a Thetford; can't see what model. I flushed it and put paper towel in the back and it didn't leak. It doesn't leak very often, but I'll be sure and have it checked out asap. Thanks for your responses
1987 Intervec Falcon

"Rockin" Retirement

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
What make and model of toilet?
My first guess would be water valve.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
No! Caulking around the bottom will just keep it in and destroy the floor. The bottom is caulked to keep spills from getting under the toilet - not the other way around.
Since you say it's clear, clean water it isn't leaking from behind the caulk anyway. Anything that comes from BEHIND the caulk is most certainly "dirty".
I would reach around to the back of the toilet where the valves are and see if the connection or something at the valves is leaking.
Also, try to rock the toilet, Does it move? If so then it needs to be removed and have the seal replaced.

What ever the case, get it fixed quickly. Otherwise you are in for major rot and repairs.