Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Razz Tracking Dog title

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Razz earned her TD title today.

AKC's Tracking Dog title is the first level of tracking. Tracks are between 440 and 500 yards in length. The track layer drops an article at the starting flag, walks a path that was plotted by the judges the day before, and drops an article at the end of the track. The track is aged between 30 minutes and 2 hours before the dog and handler try to follow the track. TD tracks are in open fields and must have both right and left turns.

Teams must "certify" before being allowed to enter. That is, they have to have a judge put in a regulation track and prove to the judge that they can past the test. The certifying judge provides 4 certificates to enter tests. The certificates are good for one year. (Because of the verification process, the pass rate is around 50 percent. There were two out of 5 that past at this test.)

Razz certified at the end of January last year. But, we couldn't get into a test. In our area, most tests have twice as many entries as they have actual tracks - it takes a lot of land and most tests have between 3 and 6 tracks. When there are more entries than tracks, a random draw is done to see who gets into the test. With Breeze, we were lucky to get into every test we entered. Poor Razz just couldn't get into a test. We got into a test that was to be held last Sunday, but the snow stormed caused it to be postponed. Actually, there are strict rules about AKC postponements and kudos to the Charlotte Club for being able to replace a judge and get things in order to have the test today.

Well that's more information than I intended to post. Way to go Razz!

(Left to right across the back: The two judges and the track layer.)

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)
12 REPLIES 12

corgi-traveler
Explorer
Explorer
Congratulations! Diva and I track too. I'll probably get her certified later this winter...she's not quite ready but should be soon.

One of my go-to places to track right now is an empty lot in the middle of an industrial park near me. Because of a recent ankle injury, though, I've needed to avoid uneven ground, so we did some shorter motivational tracks on the lawn that abuts that empty field...it belongs to a local uniform supply company. One day the plant manager comes out to ask what I'm doing.... I answer training my dog to track... he asks if that is like Search and Rescue... I say....sort of the basic building blocks.... he says fine, I can use the property any time I want. I suppose I need to send a tray of cookies to that company's break room when she gets her TD ๐Ÿ˜‰
Samantha (the poster)
Tim, DH and driver of the CorgiMobile
Dexter and Dora - Pembroke Welsh Corgis
Gone but never forgotten -
Beth 1/11/94-6/3/09
Pippin 3/16/05-11/4/15
Buddy 11/7/05-10/24/16
Diva 1/9/09 - 8/20/20

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
dturm wrote:
Congrats!! Do you get called out frequently to use the tracker ability??

Search and Rescue is a big step above what we do, both for the dogs and the handlers. The handlers have to have a good understanding of how the environment and conditions effect scent and get their dog in the right position use their noses.

The tracking we do could be a stepping stone toward being a search and rescue team. But we got into tracking because it is something that 10-week old puppies can start. Its a chance to really engage with the dogs at young age.

That's Breeze at 10 weeks.

Although Razz started at 10 weeks, at around 5 months we had to stop for more than 6 months; she suffered panosteitis. Razz is two, Breeze earned her TD at 8 months and had her TDX (much higher level of tracking) before she was two.

Practical uses. One of our friends lost her cellphone while hiking in the woods. The next day, Cricket, one of our goldens from days past, followed her route through the woods and alerted on the phone.

Five winters ago, I was laying a track for a dog that was learning to track in woods. When I got back to the cars, I didn't have my car keys. In this case, I knew the route I had taken and just turned Breeze loose and told her to "find it." In quick order, she was sitting by my keys.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Very impressive - congratulations!!!!
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

dturm
Congrats!! Do you get called out frequently to use the tracker ability??
Doug & Sandy
Kaylee
Winnie 6 1/2 year old golden
2008 Southwind 2009 Honda CRV

AZPops
Explorer
Explorer
Very Cool! Congrats, RAZZ!

Pops n' Calvin

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
That's pretty cool! Congratulations Razz!

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
Such a good job!

BCSnob
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats

Mark
Mark & Renee
Working Border Collies: Nell (retired), Tally (retired), Grant (semi retired), Lee, Fern & Hattie
Duke & Penny (Anatolians) home guarding the flock
2001 Chevy Express 2500 Cargo (rolling kennel)
2007 Nash 22M

K-9_HANDLER
Explorer
Explorer
Great work! Tracking is fun. I was always volunteered to be the "rabbit" by my coworkers.
Camping near home at Assateague National Seashore with our wild four legged friends

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
20+ years with Search and Rescue (see name...) and was always constantly amazed by the dogs our teams had. Give Razz a biscuit for me!
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
That is one good looking dog. You have good reason to be proud.

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
Used to do a lot of tracking tests, in the wee hours of morning when the track lays better. Lots of time and work with the dogs involved. Congrats to Razz!
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.