cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sprinter maintenance

nathan
Explorer
Explorer
Just purchasing a 2017 Thor Citation Diesel Sprinter and was wondering where to get oil changes,service,etc. I thing Camping World would be an option. Does Freightliner shops do any maintenance. Any other options would be appreciated.
Nathan & Becky Smith
2014 Allegro Open Road 31SA
2008 Saturn
10 REPLIES 10

loneryder
Explorer
Explorer
Most definitely use the 229.51-52 motor oils. Find an independent MB shop for the least expensive service by people who know what they are doing. Every one of them I have talked to stated not to go 10k+ on the oil. They all recommended 5-7k OCI. I have the same engine and have tested the oil after 9k miles and it was used up and allowing wear. High iron and low TBN.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just for an oil change, anywhere that will change diesel should be able to handle that. It's built on a Sprinter, not very uncommon.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
Make doubly sure, no triple sure, that anyone who does an oil change on your Sprinter is familiar with the proper oils and MB specifications for it. Also insist that the work order and invoice for work list the specific oil used, and that it complies with the proper MB spec for the oil.

This would even apply to MB dealers, as they have been known to install the wrong oil in Sprinters.

I'm not talking just listing "Mobil 1" or something like that, I mean the EXACT variant of the oil, "Mobil 1 ESP 0W-30 MB spec 229.52" or "Valvoline SYNPower MST 5W-40 Full Synthetic MB spec 229.51"

These oils are not available at Wal-Mart, you have to do a little looking to find them. Oddly (or not) NAPA carries the Valvoline and frequently has it on sale for a very reasonable price of $5.49 a quart or so.

For a complete, current list of engine oil specifications, look at this list....

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/downloadf.php?filename=en/Spec_223_2.pdf

Your engine will be listed on the next to the bottom line of the first page, and the only approved specifications are 228.51, 229.31, 229.51 and 229.52.

The 229.52 spec is the latest and greatest, but it only incudes 30wt oils. If you have a desire to run 40wt, you will need 229.51 oils.

To find a complete list of approved oils for each of these specs, go to this link.

http://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolistenmain.php?language_id=1

and click on the spec number, it will take you to a list of world wide approved oils meeting this spec. Most of the listed oils will NOT be available in North America, and I would be willing to speculate that the most commonly used oils are the two I listed above as examples.

This strict adherence to the MB specs is largely (but not entirely) driven by the Diesel Exhaust Filter, which can become contaminated or clogged by ash and other undesirables in non approved oils that find their way into the exhaust.

Also, strict adherence to the proper Transmission fluid is also necessary as this transmission cannot handle generic ATF. The spec is found in your owners manual and is 236.14. The most commonly found fluids in North America are most likely (aside from the official MB private labeled product from the dealer) is Fuchs 4134 and Shell ATF134. There may be others.

MB is emphatic that products meeting their specifications are included in their lists, and that any claims to meeting the specs found on the container or in literature must use the word APPROVED. Claims that a fluid simply "meets" the spec has no weight at all, and is a marketing ploy on the part of the product to circumvent the MB approval process.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis (T1N). Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, AutoMeter 8558 trans temp gauge, Roadmaster sway bar, Fantastic Ultra Breeze hood, added OEM parabolic mirrors and RH aspherical mirror.
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

Old_Crows
Explorer
Explorer
I'd use a Benz store. They are familiar with the vehicle and keepmrecords. If you do not use a MB service center....

Know that the Sprinters MUST use a "low SAPS oil to protect the engine & the emissions system including the diesel particulate filter (DPF). It is 5W30...MB specification 229.52. No exceptions.....

Oil change reminder will tell you when. Do not do it before. Mother does not want you to do that. It will indicate about 10K to 15K miles.

The oil capacity on the OM-642 V-6 turbo is stated as 13.2 Qt w/ filter. Don't do that!!!! The oil volume expands greatly as it comes up to operating temperature and it will know that it is overfull and set off the pachinko dash board. If you keep driving it will shut down the engine for protection. It won't let you run it until you reduce some oil...about 1/2 quart.

You want to add only 12 and just enough to bring the oil level up just over the lower of two red "blobs" on the dip stick. Drive it and get the oil stinking hot. Check the level.... After draining down it should a tiny bit above 1/2 way between the red blobs ...HOT. No more. Notice that the dipper has a RED handle... It means check when stinking hot. Ok....when your satisfied its about 1/2 way between the marks HOT, then you can check it cold.

Cold, it should be ~ 1/8ish inch above the lower red blob. Just right!

Two more thoughts. Oil consumption. Our 2010 used 1Qt first 5K. Zero in the next 5K. None afterward. Our 2014 used none in 10+K miles (first OC). Get 1 Qt of 229.52 and keep it with you. The engine monitor will signal when you are 1 Qt low..then 2 Qts low if you don't add make up. After that...Mother will shut down the engine till you make up the loss. (read the manual for checking oil level from the cab)

I hope this helps...
Old Crows

2014 View Profile
2010 Four Winds Ventura
2005 Trail-Lite C-17 Hybrid TT

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
We've used the Mercedes dealer in Sarasota - they are very willing to service Sprinter RVs.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Johno02 wrote:
If you are wise, and pay any attention to this forum, you should never even consider a Camping World for any important service.

X2

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
If you are wise, and pay any attention to this forum, you should never even consider a Camping World for any important service. Find an auto or truck mechanic that knows and works on the Sprinter and go there. If they can service the engine on a Sprinter van, the RV is the same thing. I use a local mechanic shop for my Class A with a Ford Triton engine. He does not do any work on the coach itself, but any good Ford dealer or truck mechanic can service the engine, brakes, and such. Mecerdes mechanics are not quite so available, but any good mechanic qualified for diesel engines should be able to handle routine maintenance.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

shawdowboss
Explorer
Explorer
A quick search shows that the Fort Meyers Freightliner Dealer is also a SPRINTER dealer, so they would most likely do work on an RV. From that contact you may find another good reference talking to the mechanics or the shop foreman. Sometimes they don't want to turn away work, but when they need to they can point you in the right direction (they want repeat business or a good reference from you anyway!).

I'd check-out any shop that works on Sprinter or small (VW, Mercedes, etc) diesel engines to see if they are willing to work on an Sprinter chassis with an RV on it if you don't have any hints from the Frieghtliner dealer.

The one truck shop I use for our Kodiak does most vehicles (just not small diesel engine cars). They also work on a lot of RV's, so it's a good fit - Found them through asking around and looking on both the old phone book and on-line. They also recommended a place for warranty work if I needed it.

I personally would stay away from an RV dealer for ANY chassis work, including OIL changes. They have the best knowledge in the coach, not a chassis.
2006 Gulfstream Ultra 6331
33' Super C
8.1L V8 Gas

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
x 2 ask the dealer

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ask your dealer where they send their customers for services they don't provide. Chassis warranty work, alignments, mechanical.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT