cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Muffins

ADK_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
I developed recipes for several kinds of muffins many years ago when we camped in a pop-up. It had no oven so I improvised one with a cast iron skillet and a large kettle. I recently described the oven in a reply that you can viewHERE

I thought some of you might be interested in the recipes so I'll post them here.

Basic recipe (yield 6)):
1 cup complete pancake mix (I use WalMart Extra Fluffy)
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup milk OR 1 single serving vanilla yogurt
1 egg
1 Tbs. oil

Wisk egg, oil and milk (or yogurt) together
Separately combine pancake mix, sugar and stir-ins (see below) and mix thoroughly. Add to liquid ingredients and stir just until blended. Too much mixing will make the muffins tough,

Spoon dough into muffin tin and sprinkle approximately 1/2 teas. sugar (optional) on top.

Bake at 375 degrees 18 to 20 minutes.

STIR-INS
For APRICOT GINGER MUFFINS: dice 8 dried apricots very small and finely chop 4 to 6 pieces of crystalized ginger

FOR OATMEAL RAISIN MUFFINS: Add 1/4 cup uncooked oatmeal to dry ingredients and stir-in 1/4 cup raisins (or currents)

FOR CARROT SPICE MUFFINS: Add 1/2 teas. Allspice, 1 teas. cinnamon, and a pinch of ground cloves to dry ingredients. Stir-in 1 medium carrot coarsely grated, and 1/4 cup chopped walnuts.

Hint: Before you leave home, mix the dry ingredients together and store in a zip lock bag. I also bag the stir-ins (except carrot) in another bag and put them in the same bag with the dry ingredients.
2 REPLIES 2

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can "bake" on a gas grill with indirect, or very low heat also.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Apricot ginger? Yummmmmmmmmm!