Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Modifying a new Winnebago

sid-orlando
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

We are looking to purchase a new Winnebago Vista 31be ( that's the bunkhouse floor plan). The Thor ACE 30.2 is a near identical floor plan along with a couple of other manufacturers. I think it works really well for my family and how we intend to use it.

There is one issue though that my wife and I really don't like, but it is common to all of the aforementioned models. That is the big TV mounted directly over the dinette. I understand there's really no better place for it, but it really blocks the view for the kids seated at the dinette during travel. We would much rather have a large window there as opposed to the two tiny windows on either side the of the 40" tv, which hopefully we won't even use that often.

So the question then comes to say is it possible to mount the TV o to a retractable mount that swings it up to the ceiling when not in use. I could design and build something if you can't find it commercially. But then what I would really want is to cut out a new window to encompass the whole wall where the tv was and the two small windows are in the full wall slide. Is this crazy to do in a relatively brand new unit (2016). Am I just asking for trouble structurally or due to water leakage? I asked the dealer about it and he recommended against it for destroying the value of the RV, water damage etc. But as is, I just see the TV being in the way blocking the view for the kids.

Any thoughts or suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. This would be our first ever RV

Thanks,
Sid
18 REPLIES 18

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
Apparently new MH manufacturers think we would rather look at Giant TV's than the outside world. I love MH's with a lot of windows. When we were looking I was amazed at how hard it was to find one with large windows on both sides. Always loved the side aisle floorplans with the floor to ceiling windows in the hall.

To the OP, you could mount a camera on the outside of the MH behind where the TV is and rig it to display on the TV. Essentially you would be "viewing" a real time version of exactly what you would see if the TV were a window. Tech solution and less invasive. Sure it's not actually looking out the window - or is it? If the camera is placed to provide a view to mimic what you see isn't that sort of the same thing? A lot cheaper and less complicated and wouldn't invalidate your warranty.
2013 ACE 29.2

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, after seeing the picture I know what you mean. I would hate that! I little like looking out of an airplane.

Personally I would move on - there are tons of MH out there.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
"sid-orlando".....An RV is not like a house where you can cut a hole and frame in a new window. If you cut into the wall of an RV you could seriously damage the structural integrity of that wall, especially if there is steel substructure there.

Right, add to that; Winnie will refuse any warranty work on that slide if anything should go wrong with it. A lot of folks have a lot of problems with slides.
2013 ACE 29.2

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
"sid-orlando".....An RV is not like a house where you can cut a hole and frame in a new window. If you cut into the wall of an RV you could seriously damage the structural integrity of that wall, especially if there is steel substructure there.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

sid-orlando
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the input everyone. I really like the discussion and it has given me some neat ideas. For one I love the idea of the bedroom TV mount from the Vista 36Y mentioned above. I could simply replace the 39" TV over the dinette with the whole assembly from the 36Y bedroom TV. It would probably even fit right between those two cubbies on either side. The question then would be does it fit in the width dimension of the slide proper. If so, It should be good to go. Then it's just a matter of repositioning the two overhead LED lights to be on either side of that TV box instead of right in the middle of it as they are now.

That would serve to get the TV up and out of the way with minimal rework and a maintain a factory look. I bet I could order those parts from the 36Y directly from Winnebago or their parts supplier too.

Then I could add a simple fixed pane window right between the two side windows that are there now. I imagine a 25" wide by 18" high (or something similar) window would fit perfect right between those side windows above the table. It could be a fixed panel as the sides would still be in place for ventilation. All I would need is another MCD roller shade and make up a similar looking valence.

I think that plan could work and would make the unit much more in line with what our family is looking for while still retaining a near factory like appearance.

Thank you everyone.
-Sid

PS You can check out the 36Y bedroom TV pic here:

https://winnebagoind.com/products/class-a-gas/2015/vista/interior/bedroom-and-bathroom

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
For me the question would be, does a production window even exist to take up the space of the TV and 2 existing windows? Or do you insert another window between the 2 existing - which to me would look odd. Either option limits a lot of structural integrity especially on a wall in a slide mostly due to the fact that 2 other windows are already there. Adding another is a rather unusual gap in structure. Not saying it can't be done but I would question how much money you would have to throw at a window and at what risk. If it didn't come from the factory that way warranty won't cover issues, and Winnie could always take the position that if anything does go wrong with that slide, they could point the finger at the structural modification.
2013 ACE 29.2

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
BTW here is the TV/window situation on the 31BE:

2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers
2016 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Toad - Readybrute Elite Towbar

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Jharrel, you are correct in that it does cost more but the base starting price for the Winnebago Vista is $97,525 and the Vista LX is $114,848 (a little over a $17K difference).

The OP said the TV was not an important item.

MM.

Starting MSRP listed on Winnebago site is for the LOWEST model in the line (26HE and 27N respectively).

The MSRP for the 31BE is around $115,000 the MSRP for the 35B is around $145,000.

Obviously you will not pay those prices, but will be similarly discounted, however the spread will still be easily over 20k and probably closer to 30k.

Cutting a hole in the slide and new window will cost nowhere close to 17k let alone 30k. Again if the OP has the money and is ok with the longer length then by all means, although in the size and price range of the 35B there are many more choices for bunkhouses to look at.
2016 Winnebago Vista 31be - Blue Ox Rear Track Bar - Centramatic Wheel balancers

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Jharrel, you are correct in that it does cost more but the base starting price for the Winnebago Vista is $97,525 and the Vista LX is $114,848 (a little over a $17K difference).

The OP said the TV was not an important item.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Mr. Sid,

For the money that you would be spending to make changes to the Vista 31BE, you could move up to the Vista LX 35B or Sunstar LX 35B (looks to be the same unit both with bunks) that has a big window by the dinette. The plus is it has a bath and a half.

Its also much more money and longer. I had a length limitation I could not fit something as big as the 35B in my drivewway, plus after using mine for a year I actually like the shorter length for getting into various campground and boondocking. But a big issue is also budget, the 35B is about 20-30k more than the 31BE.

If the OP has the money and and is ok with the length the 35B is an obvious upgrade, although on the TV its blocked by the slide, which means kids can't watch going down the road, It does have larger windows on the drivers side though.

Mr.Mark wrote:

On unit that you are reviewing (31BE), be careful if it has the Schwintek slide on the that huge full wall slide. Many threads here on RV.net on Schwintek.

The 31BE does not use Schwintek slides, Thor does on the ACE. Winnebago switched to Powergear across the board in 2016 due to Schwintek issues from my understanding. The 31BE is Powergear, very different track design and I have had no issues with or have heard of any.

jharrell
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Change the TV location, or even get a different size tv to fit somewhere else. I'm with you OP, nothing should block windows while traveling.

The TV does not block windows, there is not a window behind the TV, there are two small windows on each side of the TV that you can see out while traveling or camped.

The OP wants to cut out the wall behind the TV and and turn the two little windows into one big one.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr. Sid,

For the money that you would be spending to make changes to the Vista 31BE, you could move up to the Vista LX 35B or Sunstar LX 35B (looks to be the same unit both with bunks) that has a big window by the dinette. The plus is it has a bath and a half.

On unit that you are reviewing (31BE), be careful if it has the Schwintek slide on the that huge full wall slide. Many threads here on RV.net on Schwintek.

Good luck,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Change the TV location, or even get a different size tv to fit somewhere else. I'm with you OP, nothing should block windows while traveling.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Y-Guy
I'd talk to Winnebago about this directly. I'd be concerned about structural integrity if you put in your own window. I'm not sure Winnebago would do it, but it's worth talking with them to see about customizing the unit.

We've had a Winnebago bunk unit for 10 years, been a great unit as out kids grew up and we still take it with them even though they are in college. My only suggestion would be to look around at at used Sightseer 35J - one think I like about our is the space and not feeling like we're all on top of each other. I haven't seen your unit in person, but as I did the virtual tour it seemed tight. Just a thought.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon