cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3/4 ton payload vs. towing capacity

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
I would like some feedback on the 3/4 payload vs. towing capacity. I know this has probably debated before, however I am new to this forum and new to towing a 5er.From what I have been studying the Ford and Dodge gassers have better payload and the diesel has more towing capacity. Which is more important? From there it is a relatively small price to jump to a 1 ton. If you had to do over what would you do? Any feed back is greatly appreciated.
25 REPLIES 25

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on the new truck. ENJOY it!!!!
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

Kenjack24
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
Kenjack24 wrote:
My point is if someone is truly worried about having enough truck a drw would be the best option as most 250/350 srw trucks

RAM has taken the rear suspension of the 2500 a different direction than the 3500, they have a two options for the 2500. Coil springs or a rear air system that is not as capable as the one they offer on the 3500's. Chris

Yes you are correct. The 3500 is also available with the air suspension but as "assist" only. I was giving this information more towards the Ford f250/350 as the OP purchased one and that's where the most of my knowledge comes from.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kenjack24 wrote:
My point is if someone is truly worried about having enough truck a drw would be the best option as most 250/350 srw trucks

RAM has taken the rear suspension of the 2500 a different direction than the 3500, they have a two options for the 2500. Coil springs or a rear air system that is not as capable as the one they offer on the 3500's. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
thomas201 wrote:
Every time the topic pops up I am the one that chimes in and says to get the tool to do the job. Yes Virginia you can drive nails with a pipe wrench, but a hammer is better.

When you drop the 5er, do you play in the mud? No duals for me, can't move through the ruts.

Live in the Northeast? F250 size can park on the street, use the hammer lanes and parkways without the camper.

Duals are less useful in tight places, like parking garages and drive throughs.

To do real mud work the gasser has a lot less junk hanging down.

Some will tell me to get a toy hauler, a dually and bring the 48 Jeep.
Then not go to Jersey to visit the wife's family with the truck.

X2, folks here say "keep it simple, 350/3500 dually" well life is not simple! We have been full timing for a year, and love to see the sights where we travel! Weather, going to Bar Harbor, or Washington DC you WILL have a problem finding and parking a 1 ton dually! My 2500 is not a walk in the park, but I can and do find parking spaces where I want! If all you do is go from RV park to RV park then it is a no brainer, but if you plan on going elsewhere, such as to Walmart to buy groceries then you need to think about your options!

Kenjack24
Explorer
Explorer
I realize you have already made a decision on your tow vehicle, but I'd like to throw something into the water. I have done extensive research on fords platform when I purchased my 2013 f250 6.7 powerstroke. A ford srw 250/350 can be set up 100% identicle but have a lower gvwr and a lower payload. My truck is 100% the same as a 350 srw but with a lower payload. It is only for registration purposes of the lower rating. Now if I were to get into a accident and I was exceeding any weight limits in the truck I could be in big trouble (I am not exceeding any weight limits personally). My point is if someone is truly worried about having enough truck a drw would be the best option as most 250/350 srw trucks will have the same components giving them the same abilities. The higher numbers on a 350 srw is just a sticker for insurance, registration, and liability. In most cases. However a light duty 250 can still be had.

As far as the 6.7 powerstroke. It is a great engine and seems to do well. Regeneration will indeed occur more often with high idle time or city driving. You need to drive the truck during the Regen cycle or it could lead to problems if you shut it off and disrupt too many Regeneration cycles. You will lose some power during Regeneration and your fuel milage will go down. However it shouldn't be too large of a concern. Also the 6.7 hates water in the fuel. Make sure to drain the water fuel separator on the fuel filter at least once a month.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
mrw8i wrote:

Once you go diesel powered, you won't go back.

So true.

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

mrw8i
Explorer
Explorer
Izzy211 wrote:
Ok, I took all of the comments and went looking to upgrade my TV. I looked at both Ford and Dodge. They are both very good, however, since I have always owned Fords I decided on a 2016 F350 with a 6.7 PSD. Now I have never owned a diesel. Any help you all could supply would be helpful to me.

My advice:
1 - Don't accidentally put gasoline in the tank - that's an expensive fix
2 - Let it warm up.
3 - Diesel's prefer highway driving over city driving. Regen operations occur while on the highway. It will regen more often if mostly city driving (I think).

Once you go diesel powered, you won't go back.

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I took all of the comments and went looking to upgrade my TV. I looked at both Ford and Dodge. They are both very good, however, since I have always owned Fords I decided on a 2016 F350 with a 6.7 PSD. Now I have never owned a diesel. Any help you all could supply would be helpful to me.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
op wrote:
From what I have been studying the Ford and Dodge gassers have better payload and the diesel has more towing capacity.

Ford/Ram and GM 3/4 ton trucks have similar 6000-6500 RAWR that will carry all the weight in the bed of a pickup truck so actual payloads in the bed differ very little.

Gas trucks rear axle can weigh about the same as a diesel trucks rear axle as the diesel engine adds very little weight on the rear axle.

Payloads your talking about is a gvwr based payload located on the tire placard. A gvwr payload may need to be spread over the trucks gawrs (front and rear axle).
Example ....one of our members said his 2500 GM 6.0 gasser had a 3640 lb payload sticker. There is no 2500 GM gas or diesel truck that can carry 3640 lbs in the bed without exceeding a 17" OEM tire/OEM wheel or OEM rear spring pack rating.
2500 GM trucks have a 6200 rawr and most newer gen truck can weigh in the 2900-3100 lb range leaving 3100-3300 lb for a max load in the bed.

My point is don't assume all the gvwr based payload numbers can safely be carried in some (not all) trucks bed.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

thomas201
Explorer
Explorer
Every time the topic pops up I am the one that chimes in and says to get the tool to do the job. Yes Virginia you can drive nails with a pipe wrench, but a hammer is better.

When you drop the 5er, do you play in the mud? No duals for me, can't move through the ruts.

Live in the Northeast? F250 size can park on the street, use the hammer lanes and parkways without the camper.

Duals are less useful in tight places, like parking garages and drive throughs.

To do real mud work the gasser has a lot less junk hanging down.

Some will tell me to get a toy hauler, a dually and bring the 48 Jeep.
Then not go to Jersey to visit the wife's family with the truck.

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
rjstractor wrote:
Campinfan wrote:
I just upgraded from an F250 V10 gasser to an F350 diesel. It is night and day. I towed through the mountains and the diesel did not scream like the gasser. Yeah, the gasser could handle it but seeing it hit 5000 rpms and higher and hearing it sound like the pistons were going to come through the hood. Diesel never went about 2500 rpms and it did not downshift that much. Most of the time it dropped to 5th gear and a couple times down to 4th. The one ton diesel really took a lot of the stress away...in fact, the first day of the trip I drove 935 miles in 19 hours...stopping for fuel, food, bathroom breaks and leg stretching. Get the 350/3500.

Good points, but you are explaining the difference between gas and diesel, not 2500/3500. 2500/3500 have exactly the same performance depending on gas/diesel, the real difference is payload capacity. An F250 with the 6.7 diesel would perform on hills exactly the same as your F350.

The OP mentioned gas and diesel and he mentioned jumping up to a one ton. I guess I thought I covered both points. He also asked for input. I really liked my F250 but the added capacity of the 350 brings peace of mind and so did the diesel. If I had to do it over again, I would have jumped right into a 350. The ride does seem the same even though there is the extra spring.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
Campinfan wrote:
I just upgraded from an F250 V10 gasser to an F350 diesel. It is night and day. I towed through the mountains and the diesel did not scream like the gasser. Yeah, the gasser could handle it but seeing it hit 5000 rpms and higher and hearing it sound like the pistons were going to come through the hood. Diesel never went about 2500 rpms and it did not downshift that much. Most of the time it dropped to 5th gear and a couple times down to 4th. The one ton diesel really took a lot of the stress away...in fact, the first day of the trip I drove 935 miles in 19 hours...stopping for fuel, food, bathroom breaks and leg stretching. Get the 350/3500.

Good points, but you are explaining the difference between gas and diesel, not 2500/3500. 2500/3500 have exactly the same performance depending on gas/diesel, the real difference is payload capacity. An F250 with the 6.7 diesel would perform on hills exactly the same as your F350.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
this has to be one of the better, straight forward, good advice, threads I have seen in a long time...well except the part about the screaming gas engine...LOL
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Izzy211
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to all of you for your input. You all have given me real time info. Not like you get from car dealers just wanting to sell you something. Towing a 5 er for the first time and will need to upgrade TV. I have had TT and MH in the past. The info you provided is really a help. Thanks again!