cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

7.3 no start

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Got a fella in camp with a 7.3 that has 479,000 miles. It won't start. It smokes out the pipe when he cranks it.
I have already talked to him about my opinion.
He disagrees. He just keeps charging the battery with a generator and continuing to crank it more. Says he just needs to give it a good 30 second crank to get it to fire up.
I don't see it happening.

Any thoughts?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
62 REPLIES 62

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Lon-Str wrote:
Well --- did she ever fire? The suspense is killing me!

No. A flat bed came and got it. I had to leave as my time was up.
No idea what was really wrong with it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Lon-Str
Explorer
Explorer
Well --- did she ever fire? The suspense is killing me!

blt2ski
Wild Card wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Somebody better not tell all of us that still drive an IDI 7.3 that it is a 100K mile motor, just as the true competition of that motor, ie GM and Ford BB gas motors were in MDT sized rigs, school buses etc. They do not get 250K miles generally speaking. THE T444E was designed to go around 400-500K before a rebuild, same as the previous I6 DT360, same size as a B5.9, and same longevity, but lighter in weight, so more payload for the end user.
The 6.6 dmax, Isuzu wanted it to be a 500K motor, but GM only wanted a 250K motor. If it had been designed to be a 500K as Isuzu wanted, you would have seen a few different HP versions for the NPR, NRR and Fxx series rigs vs the I4/6 versions they have and still are using.

Do not let all them train engines now that V-Motors are bad, and will not last......they do not run inline motors! They run V motors as they are more compact, fit into those rigs better, producing better hp/torque for them vs the I motors.

Marty

nobody said it was a 100k engine. International rates the engine as a B10(minor repairs) Life 200k and a B50(major overhaul) Life of 350K engine before a major failure. You should google the topic before you chime in

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/t444e.html

TWO PEOPLE at least, should read my WHOLE comment. I did say a T444E/Ford 7.3psd is good to 400-500K miles, AFTER I mentioned the IDI 7.3 was a 100k mile throw away motor.....ie the version BEFORE the T444E. V motors, like I or H motors depending upon design, may only be designed to go 100K miles, or upwards of 1million miles in vehicles. It also does not do any good to design a motor to go a million miles per say, if it only needs to last 8 hrs, then literally blows up, such as a bomb rocket motor. Or like the IDI 7.3, if one is driving 10K miles a year, the power ie 135, 155 or 175 hp options is enough to move the upwards of 26K lbs they were designed to do. Granted ALL city work, not freeway work.....
I also stated, some V motors will go millions of miles, such as those in Train locomotives, They do not use I motors like larger trucks. A V motor is a better option to get the total HP etc in the engine compartment of those setups.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Somebody better not tell all of us that still drive an IDI 7.3 that it is a 100K mile motor, just as the true competition of that motor, ie GM and Ford BB gas motors were in MDT sized rigs, school buses etc. They do not get 250K miles generally speaking. THE T444E was designed to go around 400-500K before a rebuild, same as the previous I6 DT360, same size as a B5.9, and same longevity, but lighter in weight, so more payload for the end user.
The 6.6 dmax, Isuzu wanted it to be a 500K motor, but GM only wanted a 250K motor. If it had been designed to be a 500K as Isuzu wanted, you would have seen a few different HP versions for the NPR, NRR and Fxx series rigs vs the I4/6 versions they have and still are using.

Do not let all them train engines now that V-Motors are bad, and will not last......they do not run inline motors! They run V motors as they are more compact, fit into those rigs better, producing better hp/torque for them vs the I motors.

Marty

nobody said it was a 100k engine. International rates the engine as a B10(minor repairs) Life 200k and a B50(major overhaul) Life of 350K engine before a major failure. You should google the topic before you chime in

http://www.powerstrokehub.com/t444e.html
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:

Marty
100K motor?
Did I miss something?
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Ron3rd wrote:
Did the guy ever get hi 7.3 started?
Nope.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

blt2ski

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
When I bought my F-350 used from a "honest" owner he didn't tell me it wouldn't start. Later I found scratch marks on the terminals where he jumped it. Bottom line. If a battery is bad, any amount of charging won't bring it up to full charge so he will always be working with a week battery. A jump from a truck connected to the outside battery should fire it up. If not, proceed to plan B and more beer & popcorn.. That's all I got...:(
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Did the guy ever get hi 7.3 started?
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Getting back to the 7.3 no start.

Op you started a thread for whatever reasons .

Would be nice if you followed up here and let us know what the status is, its apparent he didn't like your advice, so you come on here for some validation . Bottom line is trying to help the guy :?

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Airstreamer67 wrote:
The in-line engine design has certain operating advantages, as do the V-shaped and the H-shaped and the round-shaped and whatever-shaped engine design out there. However, the design shape of the engine, per se, incorporates nothing magical about it that adds to its longevity.

I remember arguments about the 5.9 I-6 Cummins having a longer design life compared with the 7.3 V-8 International. Yet the manufacturers designed and built them for the same class of usage and the same predicted life before overhaul, and hundreds of thousands of 7.3s in school buses, medium trucks and pickups proved that, and they are still proving it to this day.

Well said and 100% correct. There is nothing magic about and inline that makes it last longer than a V or any other shape.

Now; rod to stroke ratio or RPM? Yep, that has a lot to do with it.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
The in-line engine design has certain operating advantages, as do the V-shaped and the H-shaped and the round-shaped and whatever-shaped engine design out there. However, the design shape of the engine, per se, incorporates nothing magical about it that adds to its longevity.

I remember arguments about the 5.9 I-6 Cummins having a longer design life compared with the 7.3 V-8 International. Yet the manufacturers designed and built them for the same class of usage and the same predicted life before overhaul, and hundreds of thousands of 7.3s in school buses, medium trucks and pickups proved that, and they are still proving it to this day.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
dieseltruckdriver wrote:
My point is your saying a V engine is only good for 250,000 miles. Obviously not correct, except maybe in cases of neglect. Your Cummins bias is showing here. 😉
As a general statement, it is correct. There is actually a rating for engine life IIRC, it is a "B" something or other.
And I seem to recall that both Ford and GM were in the 200-300K range.... Obviously a true big rig motor will be longer.... But then again, that isn't the point of this thread. We are talking about pickups here.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
My point is your saying a V engine is only good for 250,000 miles. Obviously not correct, except maybe in cases of neglect. Your Cummins bias is showing here. 😉
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L