Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Telescoping Ladders?

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

Does anyone have experience w telescoping ladders? What mfg do you like or dislike, and any issues you found w length choice?

thanks
Bill
21 REPLIES 21

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Ladder

Mine is exactly like this - has worked flawlessly and has a no-pinch feature to save your fingers
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

jwolf55
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
I think if doing it over again I would get the 12 foot version so there is a bit more overlap at the top.

Be sure you see it and lift it in person. I have both a 10.5' and a 15' and 15' weighs at least 3 time more than the 10.5' As they get longer the bottom pipes get larger. Also the 15 is very hard to get the bottom slides in to close as there is so much weight against the catches.
After your get the bottom 3-or 4 done then it closes as easy as the 10.5'.

Just saying don't read the catalog and say I might as well get the longer just in case, they are not interchangeable as ease of use.
Jay Wolf
Vincennes IN
2000 National Tradewinds 7373

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
dapperdan wrote:
Last summer I bought this ladder for our trailer to be able to brush leaves and needles off of our slide outs. I have only had the opportunity to use it twice but so far I really like it.

I really like how compact it is. :B

Dan

I also have one like that...works good for me and easy to store under bed of RV.
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Bill001 wrote:
the TeleStep has a rubber bumper end. I didnt see any issue layimg it against RV, other than picking solid location
I cover mine with a towel too.. S O F T is the goal
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

westend
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
Just curious where people rest the ladders against their trailers. Do you rest against the sidewall, against the slide? I assume not against the roof edge. Do you put soft bumpers on the ends, or straight against the trailer?
When I have to lean my 12' telescoper against the roof/sidewall edge, I tape a rag to the rails of the ladder at the contact point.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
the TeleStep has a rubber bumper end. I didnt see any issue layimg it against RV, other than picking solid location

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just curious where people rest the ladders against their trailers. Do you rest against the sidewall, against the slide? I assume not against the roof edge. Do you put soft bumpers on the ends, or straight against the trailer?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
I purchased a 10.5 foot telescoping ladder a few years back and use it quite a bit despite the fact that my trailer has a ladder on the back. I find the portable telescoping one much easier to climb and use. Mine has had quite a bit of use and still performs well to this day. I have never had a problem with it but it must be kept clean so it extends and collapses easily. The warnings posted above about smashing fingers when collapsing it are very valid. You must be careful when using it. I think if doing it over again I would get the 12 foot version so there is a bit more overlap at the top.

I keep it in the back of my truck which is usually loaded up when we go South for the winter. It takes up very little room.
You can see mine in use when I painted my roof here. Scroll down to about the 7th or 8th picture.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
I got the Telestep 10. 5' length/14 ' reach ladder. I suppose its pricey, for just a ladder, but this thing is really cool; technology.

I really like it. Has a bit of spring to it, but its solid and lays very nicely on RV. Easy to use if one reads instructions and watches online unit instructional.

Bill001
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I ordered the TeleStep (10.5 Ft/14 ft reach). also i found a helpful dealership and wanteded him to have the business.

Back around 1/7/17 or so, I was pulling my brandnew RV w new truck fretting the ice storm in Idaho i was in, and burning thru 2 - 30lb bottles in 3 days of zero and below temps with a Glacier Peak. oops. am i spilling the beans on what i think about this new unit; suppose i should give it more time.

Anyway, at the Rest area i worried about closing the slider w all the ice. So i belly crawled on top of the unit to visually inspect the sliders. all went well.

next time i'd rather peak over with a ladder, than crawl in the ice and wind.

Thanks again.

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Xtend and Climb seem to be the gold standard, but they're also not cheap
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

dapperdan
Explorer
Explorer
Last summer I bought this ladder for our trailer to be able to brush leaves and needles off of our slide outs. I have only had the opportunity to use it twice but so far I really like it.

I really like how compact it is. :B

Dan

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have one 11 years old.. well almost 12 I am over 300 pounds (it is rated 250) works great.. Wish it was a few feet longer (may some day build an extension) But very happy with it.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
Be sure that you have a place where the ladder can rest without damaging the roofing material. Some telescoping ladders can really pinch your fingers, use with caution. I have a TeleSteps and rarely use it because of possible damage.