cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

small roof leak fix?

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
I discovered after the last heavy rain I have a minor roof leak - I keep the RV stored under a roof and have never used it in the rain believe it or not ( It's a new unit built in 2016 ). Yeah I guess I could go hassle with the dealer but would rather try something myself as they are not that convenient to me. I have identified the leak and it is where water pools by a seam. I have an aluminum roof and the standard looking roof goop/caulking they use. Is there a method to add new caulking to the existing? or some other method besides removing the entire seam of caulking and starting over?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4
2015 Livin Lite Axxcess 24FBA
2016 Honda Pioneer 1000-5 Deluxe
14 REPLIES 14

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
I patched the caulking every year but still got some leaks from a seam extending across the cabover, right on the bed! I couldn't believe that seam was leaking it looked so good. Last summer I removed the caulking, caulked fresh, then covered the whole seam with 4 inch wide eternabond. I am confident that is the end of the leaking.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to remove the failing sealant and then put the Eternabond tape on everything. It will be work!

What I did: Removed all sealants mechanically (small grinder with wire brush). Cleaned all joints with mineral spirits and then, lacquer thinner. Installed Eternabond tape. all of it is working well.

With a sealant failure after just one year, while there is covered storage, indicates you will have multiple failures in the future. Just one leak that is ongoing will ruin your RV, trust me.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
SpeakEasy wrote:
Is Eternabond appropriate for use on rubber roofs? (I'm thinking about using it on my roof.)

Thanks,
-Speak

Yes, you can use Eternabond tape on rubber roofs. I did all the seams front and rear caps with the tape on the 03 Alpenlite 5er we had, works well. They do make a cleaner spray you can use that works well.
http://www.crssupply.com/p-13821-eternabond-eternaprime-spray-primer.php

JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Is Eternabond appropriate for use on rubber roofs? (I'm thinking about using it on my roof.)

Thanks,
-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious - How would you effectively patch in 12" of tape. It seems like you need to do the full length of the seam to do it right?

Go right over the existing caulk. Clean the area with mineral spirits, stick the Eternabond on, and use a small, hard roller--a wallpaper roller works well--to get it tight to the roof and bubble free.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Just curious - How would you effectively patch in 12" of tape. It seems like you need to do the full length of the seam to do it right?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

drsteve
Explorer
Explorer
Go with Eternabond. It's the best thing for this application, and you will never have to mess with it again. Many RV dealers will sell Eternabond by the foot for those who don't want to spend $50 on a roll of tape.
2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Txsurfer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the commments.

Here is what iwas thinking about doing- since it's obvious that the water is penatrating betwwen the roof and the current sealant. I was planning to take a razor knife and cut back the sealant about a 1/4 inch to expose some new material to bond to and sand the adjacent alumn roof and then use a marine type deck caulk. The area in question is only about 12" long so while I'm sure the Eternabond is great I really don't want to redo the entire front cap at this point. Bear in mind the trailer is one year old and stored in a shed so the only UV and weather exposer is on trips. Good or bad idea?
2017 F250 PSD 4X4

JR45
Explorer
Explorer
I have used the Eternabond tape works well but I must say this works great also. Displaces water and ensures a watertight seal. Bonds to virtually every RV material, even when damp, oily or frozen. Applies on wet surfaces. Stays elastic and paintable. Clear. Not recommended for use with rubber roofs.
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/item/proflex-brushable-sealant/21208
JR
2006 Country Coach Inspire 360 40ft Genoa Designer Series Cat C9 Samsung 197 RR
Aluminum Radiator was recently replaced with a STEEL & COPPER Bolt Together Radiator w/ updated rubber mountings
SilverLeaf VMS 330
Toad--2011 Ford Edge Sport, Air Force One
:C

bdpreece
Explorer
Explorer
Spend the money, buy Eternabond and do every seam now. You will never be sorry.
Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We also have an aluminum roof and have done Eternabond on all seams, front and rear cap and around all vents/ac etc. Do proper preparation to surfaces and you won't have to worry about it again.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
Eternabond!

X2. Eternabond, if applied correctly, is usually a one time repair.

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
Eternabond!
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
There's a very good chance it's Dicor self-leveling lap joint sealant that they used from the factory. If so (it's kind of like used chewing gum consistency when cured), you can touch it up by cleaning the area thoroughly and putting a bit more on top.

It would be wise to check all the caulked seams and cutouts and edges while you're at it and deal with any that show signs of cracking (more than slight surface cracking, at least) or pulling away or otherwise have issues. This is a typical once or twice a year maintenance item.