cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

DIY film removable from front of MH.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been putting off starting this project for several years and I'm too cheap to pay $1000 to have it removed. Posted on here that I was going to start and KDK sent me a PM to call him... he was on his second removal and he had found the secret to removing the glue. He said to go to Lowe's and buy Orange Squeeze air freshener... yes a citrus air freshener and it really works. Still takes a fair amount of scraping with a plastic razor blade and it does not soften the clear coat.

I used a heat gun to soften the film and and was able to take it off in razor blade widths fairly quickly... 20" in 45 seconds. I wimped out on doing the two black sections... only doing the 2' X 9' center center section. I wet sanded the black sections and painted them with black plastic paint. You can still see the cracks but only if you get up close and almost straight on. MAYBE next year I'll get motivated to remove the black sections... NOT likely
That
I did not do this all at once but I have 8-10 hours in removing the film/glue and another 6 hours sanding , masking and painting the two black sections.

Here are some pictures:
You can see the strips of film removed and the next strip to be removed.

Finished product.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...
13 REPLIES 13

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Mine was fine until I spent a month in Alabama and three months in Florida. Seems like the "junk" appeared overnight. 3M film does NOT like humidity.:E....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Our experience is that it's an excellent product to keep chips from destroying the paint. Ours was still in top shape when we sold after ten years of constant use full-timing.

It seems when reading these forums that most have problems with it you live in the humid southern states or along the coasts.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
MM, I have not decided if I'll put film back on. I've though about painting the black with Rino Shield bed liner which would cover the cracks but not in a glossy finish.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog, are you thinking of having the film replaced?

I watched some guys remove the front film from a Prevost Marathon at Liberty Coach down in FL while I was in for service this past summer (the unit was for sale).

Millimeter by millimeter they inched their way across the front of the coach. Wow, what a tedious job.

I've read that's it's a good idea to have it replaced every three years for ease of removal and for less of a chance to damage the paint of which I may consider.

Good job!
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog...That came out pretty nice.

I'll bet you'd pay $150 like rv2go did if you had the chance.
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
doc brown wrote:
Way to go! With the exception of engine and transmission I try to do all my own work. But I wanted my 3M removal and replace to be quick and perfect, so I bit the bullet and paid. And it did turn out perfect. Good luck on your job.

I really REALLY think 3M should be recalling this junk and paying to have it fixed. It's a COATING/FILM for a reason. It shouldn't getting funky like that so quickly.

After 12 years the cracking literally appeared over a three month period. My installer said he does 5-6 coaches a week and the 3M lasts about 10 years if the coach is exposed to the elements. Where I store (inside) many older coaches like mine have like new 3M but they rarely use the coach.
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
doc brown wrote:
Way to go! With the exception of engine and transmission I try to do all my own work. But I wanted my 3M removal and replace to be quick and perfect, so I bit the bullet and paid. And it did turn out perfect. Good luck on your job.

I really REALLY think 3M should be recalling this junk and paying to have it fixed. It's a COATING/FILM for a reason. It shouldn't getting funky like that so quickly.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
The film and glue that Monaco used does NOT come off easily... the glue is the harder to get off. The amount of sun exposure is definitely a factor. The film under the headlights that is almost flat but with several curves was badly cracked but the film above which would be in the shade had no cracks and I left it on.. Because of the two curves under the headlights removing the film using heat would be tricky so I tried spraying that area three times over five minutes. It was flat enough that the liquid didn't run of and I was able to scrape the film and most of the glue came with it. One more spraying of the air freshener and all of the glue came off. On the vertical surfaces you cannot soak the film or glue as the liquid runs off.

One of the reasons for wet sanding the black film is to smooth the smaller rock chips in it. I agree that chips will be a problem and its part of the reason I left the film on the black areas, especially the lower area.

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
I removed mine and it was a lot of work. I debated leaving it on but it was starting to look bad in a few places. So I decided to get it off before it got to the condition of some I have seen.

The paint behind the film was pristine. But it is a catch 22....18 months and two cross country trips later and the paint on the front of the coach is filled with tiny rock chips.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
I faced my MH into the sun on a warm day and allowed the front to warm....pulled the film off in large sections. Only used hands and no tools. Washed the remaining glue off with mild solvent.

Like so many other items and components on RVs, there's a few thousand variables. Age, how long the coating has been on there, how much sun has it seen in its lifetime, how well was it put on in the first place, and, there's more than one kind of clear vinyl coating. There are some that will peel right off without issue. Then there are some that will upwards of a week or more due to the fact that it's basically almost welded itself to the paint. Just because one person paid only $150 to have it removed, that surely doesn't guaranty that, that will be the going rate for all coaches.

Our coach is an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT and, it's hovering at 12 years old and the 3M coating is still flawless. The coach has spent about 99.99% of its idle time, INSIDE an RV garage since new. I, and based on all the readings in research I've done, don't think anyone else, can say for sure that, keeping our coach out of the sun when not in use, is a guaranty that, that's the reason our 3M coating is still flawless. I'd bet it helps but, maybe not the 100% reason.

So, if one has to take it off for any number of reasons, it may or, may not be an easy project. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
I faced my MH into the sun on a warm day and allowed the front to warm....pulled the film off in large sections. Only used hands and no tools. Washed the remaining glue off with mild solvent.

rv2go
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
I've been putting off starting this project for several years and I'm too cheap to pay $1000 to have it removed.

$1000 :E I own a Winnebago and was at the factory in Forest City, IA for some repairs on my steps and asked about having the film removed. They referred me to CDI, the company that does all the painting for Winnebago. Called the shop and was quoted a price of $150. In at 7am and out at 11:30. Don't know how it was removed. But, WOW what a difference.
Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Blog

doc_brown
Explorer
Explorer
Steve,Kathy and Josh
Morpheus(Basenji)at Rainbow Bridge
2004 40' TSDP Country Coach Inspire DaVinci
350 Cummins, 3000 Allison
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, Air Force One Braking, Blue Ox