cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Los Angeles to Mt Rushmore

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer
Planning a trip end of June to go from my home in Los Angeles to Mt Rushmore, any tips or suggestions on hwy to avoid or "must see's". I'm planning on driving 700 miles each day for 2 days, sleeping at walmart in Wyoming/Utah border. Thanks guys for any advice!
12 REPLIES 12

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
24fb freedom wrote:
Thanks guys I hear what your saying about slow down and smell thr roses but we're doing a 10 day trip,I wish we had more time too,we want to get there see the must see places before having to start driving again.One more question,does hwy 80 have steep grades like the 70 or does it stay mostly flat?I'm asking cause we'll be driving through that area at night.
You can easily do Rushmore in a day and maybe one more day for some of the historic towns in the area. So three nights in the area.

That gives 4 days coming and 4 days going home. Definitely stop and see something on the way. Rocky Mountain National Park is on the way and worth 2 nights if you can. I would take I70 and drive during the day.

Rushmore is great but it seems like a long fast drive just for that. We took 3 weeks to see Tetons, Yellowstone and Rushmore. No extra time.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
24fb freedom wrote:
Thanks guys I hear what your saying about slow down and smell thr roses but we're doing a 10 day trip,I wish we had more time too,we want to get there see the must see places before having to start driving again.One more question,does hwy 80 have steep grades like the 70 or does it stay mostly flat?I'm asking cause we'll be driving through that area at night.

Presumably, you won't be picking up I-80 until some point in Utah, like SLC? There's a bit of a climb out of SLC to Wyoming, but most of the journey on I-80 will not present any significant steeps places. Depending on how far east you go on I-80, the highest point isn't reached until you get to east of Laramie headed toward Cheyenne, at about 9600 feet. Most of the journey across Wyoming will be in the 7000-8000 feet range, mostly rolling rather that a lot of ups/downs.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

24fb_freedom
Explorer
Explorer

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
700 miles a day isn't a big deal. I agree it won't leave a lot of time for sight seeing along the way, but if your goal is to spend your time at your destination versus coming and going there's no problem with it. You could split the difference and blitz your way there but spend a little less time in South Dakota to allow for a more leisurely trip home. It all boils down to how and where you want to spend your time.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I hear others maybe trying to tell you, " Slow down and smell the roses." Lots and lots to see and take in between LA and Rushmore. The Black Hills are beautiful. We love that area. There is plenty to keep you busy for 4-7 days in that part of South Dakota, but the Black Hills definitely are not the Rockies or southern Utah.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm going to read your inquiry a bit differently, that you're saying you're wanting to get there as quickly as possible, and then spend time in the area. (Otherwise, as others have said, that's a LOT of driving and little time to see sights).

Once you get there, the actual visit to Mt. Rushmore can be done in half a day. There's the usual photo ops on the plaza, and there's a hike around the base of the monument. There's a theatre that shows a film on the makings of the monument, it's history. There's other historical information on site as well. But still, a good half day and you're done. But also plan on seeing it at night as well, when it's all lit up.

In the area: Crazy Horse Monument. Custer State Park. Jewel Cave National Monument. Wind Cave National Park. Needles Highway. Devil's Tower National Monument. And those are the ones that immediately come to mind. H E R E - Black Hills/Badlands is a link to many things to see and do in and around the Black Hills region.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
You'll see more in an airplane - no matter how fast you drive you will average 50 MPH and that means 14 hours a day looking out the window, not much time to eat and sleep much less see things.

Have you seen Utah?

Have you seen Colorado?

Whole lot of things to see and do before you get to South Dakota, I don't want to rain on your parade but see whats close first then stretch it out later.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Ever done 700 miles a day? ALL you're gonna be doing is driving and try to stay awake towards the end
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
700 miles a day sounds like gruesome marathon:(:(:( plus you will need a good massage on your tester every night:):) Alternative, fly there!

Gonzo42
Explorer
Explorer
5 National Parks in Utah on the way. You could plan to spend at least one whole day at any of them.
MOTHER SHIP Winnebago View 24H (2007 Dodge Sprinter 3500 Chassis, 2008 Body)3.0 L M-B Diesel V6 bought used with 24K miles. Toad: ROCKY the Flying Squirrel.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
700 miles a day all you will see is highway. And the scenic Walmart parking lot.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Honestly, driving/towing 700 miles a day really leaves zero time along the way for, "must sees."
Anyway, have a good trip. Mt. Rushmore is a, "must see."
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro