cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Guitar playing

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm just starting my RVing life. Wife & I just want to see the sites in America. I enjoy playing around on my guitar. Not that I'm good. I just enjoy it. I'm hoping that while we're out, if I just drag my guitar out & start playing it will lead to something. Am I overly optimistic, naive??? What should I expect? How could i make this work?
23 REPLIES 23

Dave_s_Wife
Explorer
Explorer
We have all of the DH's instruments with us. He pulls out an instrument to practice or just jam. We have found so many other musicians who want to jam too. We are currently in a park where there is a Jam every week. Last year we were in Tucson and the same happened. Most all will appreciate you playing.

Sheila aka
Dave's Wife
2003 29 ft. Holiday Rambler Alumascape 5th wheel
'03 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually
Dave & Me

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
I have been a musician for over 50 years. I don't take my guitar mainly because of space issues.Plus, I doubt I would use it much because we're usually on the go.

DaveInAL
Explorer
Explorer
I always carry a dobro or acoustic guitar and welcome other folks to join me. I don't play during quiet hours. With all the other things going on outside like lights, tv, radio, barking dogs, kids, etc, I don't worry about my acoustic instruments
Dave, Dale, and Poppy the Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier
2014 Pleasure Way Plateau TS

CoffeePat
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all. Yes, it is an acoustic guitar. This is encouraging and exciting. Of course I appreciate being respectful. Time & Place for everything. The guitar is an ice breaker & folks that enjoy it are my kind of people. Thanks again.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Were you at Linville Falls Cg on the BRP about 12 or so. years ago in a Motor Home?
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Terryallan wrote:
CoffeePat wrote:
So I'm just starting my RVing life. Wife & I just want to see the sites in America. I enjoy playing around on my guitar. Not that I'm good. I just enjoy it. I'm hoping that while we're out, if I just drag my guitar out & start playing it will lead to something. Am I overly optimistic, naive??? What should I expect? How could i make this work?

Honestly. at least in the South. If your guitar is acoustic, You will draw a crowd. Every where we have been, when a guitar come out the migration to that campfire begins.

One special night stands out. While camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at Linville Falls. I grabbed my Dulcimer started to our friends site, and saw another camper inside with their Guitar. Hollered at them and we sat, played, and sang for hours. He was much better than me, but it didn't seem to matter. We played until we noticed the Ranger standing there. We offered to stop, and he said no go ahead. The whole CG is here anyway. It was a magical night. nothing planned, no fussin, just playing what the crowd ask for. Him more than me.

Thing is. The best times just happen, you can't plan them. So take the Guitar, play softly, and folks will join you. And yes. Some will be really good. and yes, You will get better.

Did Dutch_12078 show up?

I very well might have. I've sat in on many ad-hoc sessions over the years. Including some that likely annoyed some of the neighbors...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Nolan
Explorer
Explorer
The park we live in has a jam session every Wednesday night, November through March. Doesn't matter what you play your invited. Not my kind of music. Country Western and gospel, but it might be yours.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Matt_Colie wrote:
That was at normal campgrounds.
Then there is the Dulcimer Festival in Evart MI. All Strings and simple percussion allowed - NO Amps at all.
No the program and in all the Docs it says
"There is NO Quiet Time. If you want quiet, you are in the wrong place."

Matt

Now that right there is funny!

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Acoustic guitar playing is always welcome by me and mine even after quiet hours if the folks sitting around the campfire don't get to boisterous.

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
Mary has been known to do this and collect others. Yes, we always respect quiet times. (Except once when we overshot QT by a bunch but then all in hearing range were at our site.)

Sometimes we get others to join us and sometimes not. Very often another instrument shows up. Sometimes several.

When I can't play, I'll sing.
When I can't sing, I'll whistle.
And when the day comes I can't whistle no more,
I'll sit myself down and I'll listen.
- Chorus of a Joan MacIsaac song

It is usually a good time. Only once were we asked to stop because the neighbor had a baby sleeping.

That was at normal campgrounds.
Then there is the Dulcimer Festival in Evart MI. All Strings and simple percussion allowed - NO Amps at all.
No the program and in all the Docs it says
"There is NO Quiet Time. If you want quiet, you are in the wrong place."

Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nothing better than a bluegrass festival with lots of pickin N jammin going on. At most there is no such thing as quiet hours. The challenge is to drink moonshine & pick till the sun comes up.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
It depends. Stick to neutral stuff like folk music, old rock classics, jazz, etc. Quit playing before quiet hours. Most people will love it. It's certainly no worse than lots of laughter and kids screaming. In fact it adds to the atmosphere of the CG.

Play too early in the morning (and early is subjective), play anything religious, play after quiet hours, and yes, you will annoy people and/or just make them angry at you.

There are people, no matter what you do, who will be annoyed by you even if you are the quietest people in the park. Thankfully those people are few and far between in CGs.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Terryallan wrote:
CoffeePat wrote:

Honestly. at least in the South. If your guitar is acoustic, You will draw a crowd. Every where we have been, when a guitar come out the migration to that campfire begins.

One special night stands out. While camping on the Blue Ridge Parkway, at Linville Falls. I grabbed my Dulcimer started to our friends site, and saw another camper inside with their Guitar. Hollered at them and we sat, played, and sang for hours. He was much better than me, but it didn't seem to matter. We played until we noticed the Ranger standing there. We offered to stop, and he said no go ahead. The whole CG is here anyway. It was a magical night. nothing planned, no fussin, just playing what the crowd ask for. Him more than me.

Thing is. The best times just happen, you can't plan them. So take the Guitar, play softly, and folks will join you. And yes. Some will be really good. and yes, You will get better.

Did Dutch_12078 show up?
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
We had young campers near us at a local state park... they showed up with a drum set and electric guitars (I am assuming small battery powered amps). The drum set was muffled in some way, and the amps were not too loud at all. They played for a couple hours... and it was great! They stopped at quiet time.

So Yes, bring your guitar!

One of my favorite memories of live playing was not really quiet... wife and I were camping with a large group of firefighters and nurses. One of the medics was a bagpiper - he showed up as it got dark (seemingly whenever firefighters get together, a bagpiper shows up), and played 3 or 4 songs. Now, bagpipes can be heard for seemingly miles. They are NOT quiet! But... a good player, in the right situation, is amazing. Seems like most of the campground migrated over to listen. When he stopped (again, before quiet time), everyone erupted in applause. It was one of those times that you will always remember.