cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Freightliner Rear Axle Hubcap Removal

tomkat4725
Explorer
Explorer
I'm New to Freightliner Chassis. How do you remove the chrome plated rear axle cover?
17 REPLIES 17

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Delete Duplicate
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have $14? Here it is...
Hubcap Wrench
As the second owner of the coach I was unable to find where the original owner hid the wrench.
Pat in Menifee, CA

Thanks PCarnathan,
I looked all over the place on the net in both ebay and Amazon to find that wrench so I could post it and help the OP but, couldn't find it 'cause I didn't know what the terminology was to type in.
Scott

Posted By: Belgique on 01/19/17 06:19am

Thanks for this thread! New to us 40XC and could not figure this out. Used to F53 with the 2 "nuts" that had a line on them to indicate that they were the ones to unscrew.

Are the front wheels different? Both of mine are missing but will be at Gaffney in a few weeks.

Sound's and reads kind-a funny the way you wrote it. "Both of mine are missing", what's missing, BOTH WHEELS? Chuckle...
If your wheels are the Alcoa or, Accuride alloys, no, there's no two "Marked" lug nuts that hold a wheel simulator on 'cause, there's no simulator. Your wheels are held on with 10 lug nuts that are torqued to 450 lbs.each.

Scott

Posted By: Belgique on 01/19/17 06:21am

BTW, Fireup your basement storage is disgusting :-). You make me hang my head in shame. Nice job

Thank you Sir,
It's kind-of a hobby. It's not an "OCD" thing. It's more of a "just like things organized" thing so that, when I need something, I know where it is so I don't have to look for hours knowing I have it, just don't know where it is.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
BTW, Fireup your basement storage is disgusting :-). You make me hang my head in shame. Nice job.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

Belgique
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for this thread! New to us 40XC and could not figure this out. Used to F53 with the 2 "nuts" that had a line on them to indicate that they were the ones to unscrew.

Are the front wheels different? Both of mine are missing but will be at Gaffney in a few weeks.
Hickory, NC
2007 Fleetwood Discovery 40X

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Mine is misplaced. Available from Freightliner.
It looks like large wrench which it is. Ours was made of a fiber reinforced polymer I think.
It holds the cap on. Reverse rotation on side right side I think. it indictes on the wrench.
Pliers or other tools tear up the center cap. Inside there is amount secured to opposing lug nuts I think. The end that holds the cap is a threaded bolt. I always put some anti seize on it so weather wont corrode, if it gets to it, just a trace will do.
I've only had them pulled off once since we bought it to replace rear tires.
The center caps are available from Freightliner, if yours is messed up from pliers etc. They are sort a high for such a small piece.

PCarnathan
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have $14? Here it is...

Hubcap Wrench

As the second owner of the coach I was unable to find where the original owner hid the wrench.

Pat in Menifee, CA
2009 Mandalay 43A
2009 Honda CR-V Toad
2011 Toyota Tacoma
2013 Honda Goldwing
2003 Honda TRX400ex (2)
2005 Honda Aquatrax F12-X (2)
2016 Yamaha YXZ1000R

tomkat4725
Explorer
Explorer
That big black wrench that FIRE UP shows in his photo is what I need. Thanks

Jim_Norman
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting, I need to look for that wrench. Learning, learning every day.

Most important thing to know? That you don't know everything!
2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38QBA
2008 Jeep Liberty (aka FireToad)

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
"Scott,
Is that red plier that looks like it grabs nut caps for the front"

That is a soft-plastic-coated, lug nut CAP puller. And it is used on all the lug nuts, front and rear for removing the caps before any sockets are applied.
Scott

"That big black wrench should be somewhere in your coach, unless a previous owner kept it. They come with that wrench from the factory."

Don,
Well Sir, our coach didn't come with one and, I've spoken to and camped with, multiple Winnebago and Itasca owners that not only didn't get one with their coach but, were completely unaware of it's existence. Some had "pliers" marks on their rear hexagonal cap due to the fact that they had absolutely no idea these cap removal tools existed.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind, one side turns clockwise and one side is counterclockwise. That big black wrench should be somewhere in your coach, unless a previous owner kept it. They come with that wrench from the factory.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
Scott,
Is that red plier that looks like it grabs nut caps for the front?
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Chris's answer is CORRECT! Those are NOT WHEEL SIMULATORS! Those are Accuride 8.25" x 22.5" Alloy wheels. The center cone is held on by that end hexagonal cap. That center hexagonal cab UNSCREWS. Not only that but, it unscrews to the left (normal) for the passengers side and it unscrews the RIGHT on the drivers side. You can use large pliers on it but, you run the risk and are just about guaranteed to do damage to it when using that method. So, a cheap (about $8 or $9 dollar Freightliner cap removal tool is what's needed and kept in the coach for immediate use if and when a tire change is needed on the road.
Scott

P.S. In the picture below, you'll see the large, plastic tool, mounted on the face of the tray that holds all the liquids/sprays etc. That tool is invaluable for that specific purpose.

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
KI60ND

tomkat4725
Explorer
Explorer
cbeierl, I think you have the info I need, Thanks

Ernest
Explorer
Explorer
tomkat4725 wrote:
I'm New to Freightliner Chassis. How do you remove the chrome plated rear axle cover?

Have the exact same setup on mine. At the minimum you need a large pair of adjustable pliers. I made a template out of wood and had a metal shop make a duplicate out of aluminum.
Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog
Travelingonthetradewinds1.blogspot.com 2017 South West Blog