cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sidewinder Hitch Issue

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
I have a friend who has a Sidewinder hitch he uses to pull his Momentum toy hauler. The reason he has the Sidewinder is because he has that Rambox truck bed on his Ram 2500. Obviously, he bought the truck before he thought of buying a fifth wheel toy hauler.

First, we know he's overweight on the rear axle. Maybe 500 lbs., give or take. But since he brought it home, he has had a horrible ride on the interstates with expansion joints. They recently went to Tennessee (6 hr. drive one way) and everything went great except the bouncing and chucking. It was so bad coming home, they had to stop multiple times to get out and take a walk because his wife was getting almost sick.

I-40 in western NC is terrible. Its been mentioned here on this forum. And traveling 55 mph roads is no problem. Its only interstate travel.

I went over there this afternoon so we could try it with my F350 SRW. I pull my Vengeance with no issues at all and a good ride. Both out campers are similar in weights but he has the Sidewinder attached to his. When we got out on the interstate, it definitely did the chucking and bouncing at times but it wasn't terrible. But to me, I can't explain it but the truck did feel like there was more weight at the rear of the bed. I know that seems odd but that's how I would best describe it.

The Sidewinder has really good reviews from what I know. But the design appears to put more weight further back in the bed versus a traditional hitch set-up.

1. Has anyone heard of this issue with chucking using a Sidewinder hitch?

2. If he sells the Momentum and gets a lighter weight fifth wheel, would you think that would solve this problem even though he has to still use a Sidewinder with that truck?

Again, we know he's overweight. He's just contemplating the pros and cons of buying a bigger truck which means more money or buying a smaller camper but that also means less money. They both have good sides and bad sides.
15 REPLIES 15

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
lawnspecialties wrote:
Snip... It still blows my mind how of all the forum websites I'm a member of, this one by far has the harshest people. Certainly not the forum's fault. Just one of those things.

Snip...

May be because this forum is, by far, the largest RV forum on the internet - with thousands of members all over the world. This also accounts for the fact that you can get just about any RV question answered in rapid fashion with a diverse point of view between members.
I would not consider that a fault at all but an advantage and benefit. ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Well, then check out the Anderson hitch. At least watch the video as it address the "bumping" that it states occurs in typical fifth wheel hitches. Seems to directly address the issue.

Will do

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Well, then check out the Anderson hitch. At least watch the video as it address the "bumping" that it states occurs in typical fifth wheel hitches. Seems to directly address the issue.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Oh trust me. I know how folks can get here when a vehicle is overweight. Many take it personally. It still blows my mind how of all the forum websites I'm a member of, this one by far has the harshest people. Certainly not the forum's fault. Just one of those things.

It really is about 500 lbs. over on the pin. He has a CAT scales not too far from him and he's weighed it.

As for the Ram box, it just came that way. The truck had been customized a little by the dealer and it caught his eye. The fact that it had the Ram box really played no part in the decision. I'm sure now he wishes it did not have it.

He retires from the fire dept. in five years and they're trying really hard to get some things financially in order before then. I hope he goes ahead and bites the bullet on a bigger truck now. That gives plenty of time to get it paid off before retirement.

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate Hitch

May reduce that bumping. I'd go with the bigger TV - I've seen those ram boxes - just don't get it. Does he actually use it, or just like it? You can't even haul a 4x8 piece of plywood in those beds.

People on here can be harsh - but he should really look into the very possible fact that he is way over weight - not just 500 lbs.

Good luck to him.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
lawnspecialties wrote:
For those who have responded from Old-Biscuit down, thank you. I appreciate the truth and suggestions without the drama.

I texted him today as they were going camping for a long weekend. I told him what was said and he says right now, they are leaning toward going ahead and getting a dually. That may change but at least they have a nice camping weekend to discuss how they want to proceed with their camping future. He loves the truck and he loves the Momentum so knowing one has to change breaks his heart. But I think he'd rather change the truck versus getting a smaller camper, even though that means spending more money versus spending less with a smaller RV.

He's going to LOVE the new dually and wife is going to enjoy not getting 'sea sick'
Win/Win
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
For those who have responded from Old-Biscuit down, thank you. I appreciate the truth and suggestions without the drama.

I texted him today as they were going camping for a long weekend. I told him what was said and he says right now, they are leaning toward going ahead and getting a dually. That may change but at least they have a nice camping weekend to discuss how they want to proceed with their camping future. He loves the truck and he loves the Momentum so knowing one has to change breaks his heart. But I think he'd rather change the truck versus getting a smaller camper, even though that means spending more money versus spending less with a smaller RV.

xtech
Explorer
Explorer
We have a air ride sidewinder and love it, so much smoother towing than before, cant see sidewinder being the problem.

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I went through all the severe chucking issues, tried everything, and the cure was an air ride hitch. You may want to call Aaron at Trailersaver and get some guidance, no pressure. Can't say how well it will work with a Sidewinder.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
There are 11 different models of "Momentum" toy haulers, with dry pin weights ranging from 2400lbs to 3400lbs. Any of them would be pushing the limits for a 2500-class pickup truck, let alone one of those "fru-fru" Rambox trucks that probably only have about 1200lbs of payload capacity.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
500# or so over on Rear Axle (and rear tires)...........
Bet if scaled it would be MORE

DRY hitch weight is ~3200# for that 20K GVWR TH
IF your friend would open drivers door and look at 'certificate' sticker he will find the PAYLOAD capacity. He doesn't even have enough for DRY hitch weight

It towed OK with your F350 cause it isn't a 2500 that is overloaded.

Nothing to do with this/that hitch.
All to do with TOO MUCH trailer/not enough truck

Bye Bye Momentum and Welcome something in the 14K GVWR Total
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
"They recently went to Tennessee (6 hr. drive one way) and everything went great except the bouncing and chucking. It was so bad coming home, they had to stop multiple times to get out and take a walk because his wife was getting almost sick."

Just slightly over weight? You are kidding of course? This guy endangered himself, his family and every American on that highway.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
If he's 500lbs or so over his rear axle weight he needs to upgrade his truck.
Why all the hand wringing and head scratching over the hitch?
Before you get to concerned about dialing it in you need a combo that at least stands a chance.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
He's moved the loads around a little but considering what he carries, its so minimal considering the overall weight. The biggest thing is he has carried his Harley in the back and without with no real difference in ride.

Not sure about his rear suspension.

He does have aftermarket air bags. On the long trip from Tn., he tried everything from 5 psi to 100 psi. No real change.

We're really stumped as to which way is best to go. Obviously, he doesn't want to get rid of either truck or camper. But in all reality, one has probably got to be changed. Then that question comes to: which one?

If he changes campers to a lighter one, will it fix the problem? If not, he has given up his dream toy hauler for no reason. If he changes trucks, in all reality the problem will be solved because he'll get a dually and the Sidewinder will be replaced with the standard OEM hitch the Momentum came with. But he's spent a bunch of money to do so.