cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires

Fireguy
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Monaco Dynasty with a tag. I have been running Michelin tires for years and I am getting ready to replace them. I am looking for success and remarks you guys have had with other brands. Thanks in advance.
11 REPLIES 11

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
When I had my Holiday Rambler DP (Monaco brand) with 22.5" tires, it came with Michelins and I had great wear and a great ride with them. When they reached the 7 year mark, I used the FMCA program to purchase new Michelins. According to the dealer, I could purchase the Michelins through the FMCA program cheaper than the dealer can pay for the same tire. You buy the tires directly from Michelin, they are shipped to the dealer who installs them and you only pay the dealer for their labor. You can certainly pay for your FMCA membership many times over for the money you save.

As I understand it, the FMCA Michelin program has expanded and is now covering all vehicle tires for trucks, cars, etc. in addition to the RV sizes.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
I have had good luck with Bridgestones, Goodyears, and Michelins. I am currently running Michelins. The only problem I have had was with an off brand tire (can't remember the brand) they didn't blow out or go flat, they just wore out fast.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Bruce_Brown
crasster wrote:
I go with Michelin and Hankook only. My opinion, they are absolutely the best for RV's.

Just curious as to what you're basing that opinion on? Not bashing, only wondering.

I know many people say nice things about Michelins, I sometimes wonder how much of this is based off of perceived reputation vs actual ownership.

My "I don't like Michelins" is based on many years of poor service on everything from cars to trucks to motorhomes. I have never personally purchased a new Michelin tire by itself, and I don't expect I ever will, we have had many of them as OEM tires. On our last MH we had a Michelin blow out a sidewall - while it was parked in our garage. Just a few months old and the metal cords were rusty.

With that said, I will say again the last set of Michelins we had on our current MH were a fine tire that served us well. I can't say that for the current Michelins on my Super Duty.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I go with Michelin and Hankook only. My opinion, they are absolutely the best for RV's.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
You might be told by some tire dealers that the Michelin size on your RV doesn't have a cross. That's not strictly true.

Tire Size Calculator

I owned a 19.5" tired RV for years...I like Toyo & Bridgestone. But I've also gotten good life and miles out of Double Coin, and I'm now trying a set of 22.5" RoadLux steer tires from Amazon (Free shipping with prime...saving $80 to $100 PER TIRE shipping costs when bought online). My tires mileage out rather than age out though I do have some Michelin drive tires that are 7 years old and have lots of side wall cracking. Just bought this used Journey last February and it has 22.5" tires. I'm not a big Michelin fan either.

That tires size calculator is really handy when checking different sizes.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

Bruce_Brown
We recently upsized to 11Rs from 275/70s. We went with Bridgestones and are pleased so far.

Personally I am NOT a Michelin fan (actually they are the last brand I'd ever buy) but I will say the set we took off had served us well.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Once I put FS400 315s on the front of my Dynasty there was no reason to put 295s on the rear. A 11R22.5 is the same diameter and a common truck tire... much less expensive. I found 6 Hankook AH12s installed for $2000 and had to increase the drive axle pressure by 10 psi because of the slightly lower load rating of the 11R. No increase in the tag pressure as the 295s were at the min pressure which was way more than what was needed for the tags weight. In 10 years I have never read a negative post on here about Hankook truck tires and I'm very happy with mine after three years and 20K miles.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
I too, have had the BEST results with Michelin. When mine need replacing I'll go with Michelin/BFG. Check prices with FMCA....Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Fireguy
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, Thanks

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Tires.. lots of posts
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Bill_Satellite
Explorer II
Explorer II
BF Goodrich is also a Michelin brand and will save you hundreds. I have had a couple of different tires on my coach over the last 250,000 miles and I still like Michelin/BF Goodrich the best.
What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?