Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Gas Grill

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for advice on portable gas grills

What are your thoughts and recommendations?
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired
33 REPLIES 33

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
We carry a Baby Q when traveling, because it is smaller, but is plenty big for the two of us. And we have never had not enough heat to cook anything. Most time, too much. If you have one that doesn't get hot enough, then there is something wrong. Could be stopped burner, or bad regulator. We don't do a lot of steaks, but the ones we have done on it were wonderful. And I have done 6 filets at the same time with no problem.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.

Vintage465
Explorer III
Explorer III
Though I am not a fan of Gas Grills, they are nearly a requirement when traveling. Many parks don't have a place to dump charcoal and may not even allow it. So I went with the Weber Q-1000, for the simple reason: It's a Weber, and the Q-1000 is very compact and storage is very much a concern. With my little Q-1000 I can toss a steak and burgers on and they sizzle seriously and there will be deep 3/8" inch wide beauty marks on the meat. I don't really think it makes as good of a steak as a Charcoal Grill, but it definitely leaves a sizzle mark. Now for some reason, burgers are a different story. It makes a burger that is out of this world. The only thing I really don't like about it is you can't shut off 1/2 the grill. All you can do is lower the flame across the whole grill. If one side shut down you could set the longer cook time products on one side and let the other side run and cook w/o worrying about burning the product. Most people are more serious about their gas grills then me. It really just needs to be able to cook burgers for me.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

Uncle_Rj
Explorer
Explorer
Wow - lots of Webers....

We have a Carri Chef Deluxe that we bought at an RV store up here. It has a grill, flat griddle, ribbed griddle, wire pot holder and a skottel. The skottel is rounded like a wok and was something I never thought we'd use, but it is the best thing for cooking bacon or hash browns. It's not very common, but everyone that has seen it has loved it.

image - Image Link

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
RvNewbieFl wrote:
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product/blackstone-tailgater-combo/

The link to the grill I'm looking at for the rv...

Blackstone Clicky

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
I was wondering why 500 degrees isn't hot enough to sear a steak also. Mine will get there as long as I get it out of the strong wind. Friends that we camp with the most often had a coleman and bought a Weber Q1000 a couple years ago, since they saw how well our old Q120 worked, for several years.

In about 6 years, I have had to clean the jet and burners once when it wouldn't get over 300 degrees. I never thought they were heavy.

When my wife said she wanted one, I about choked on the price, until she mentioned how much we had spent on the cheap grills that would only last a couple years. Now we have the Q120, and a Weber Smokey Mountain. When our home grill dies, it is getting replaced with a Weber also.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product/blackstone-tailgater-combo/

The link to the grill I'm looking at for the rv...

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product/grillkabob-powered-rotisserie/

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
Ok... actually I'm torn between buying the pizza oven for the house or the Grill & Kabob powered rotisserie... it has an electric motor that turns the skewers for hands free grilling... lol

RvNewbieFl
Explorer
Explorer
I'm extremely partial to all Blackstone products...I actually have an outdoor kitchen in my rv with two gas burners... however I'm looking at the Blackstone tailgater myself... it has different configurations.. personally because I don't need the burner... I'm thinking of setting it up as a grill on one side and a griddle on the other... The blackstone website has some cool products tho... it's definitely worth checking out rather you buy anything or not... I'm hoping to get the pizza oven for the house next... lol

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
D.E.Bishop wrote:
My DB bought us a Baby "Q" for our condo and I hated that thing. You could not sear a steak with that thing

I sometimes see this on these threads about the Weber Q, people will say that they don't like them because they can't sear a steak. If they would follow the Weber Instructions they would have a perfectly seared steak. Mine come out like the ones pictured.

This is my Weber preparing to cook some steaks with the lid closed for 15 minutes

Click For Full-Size Image.

And this is the Temp of the Grill

Click For Full-Size Image.

Ron3rd wrote:
My full size Weber Q is going on 13 years old and still works like new, though the finish is wearing off in a few spots. Never babied, and cleaned about once a year.

My Q was doing the same,so as you can see in the photos above my lid is Blue.I was getting tired of the scruffy grey look so I had it powder coated,cost $40 and looks a lot better and matches a lot of my other outdoor items :B
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
Most recommend the Weber Q series for good reason. My full size Weber Q is going on 13 years old and still works like new, though the finish is wearing off in a few spots. Never babied, and cleaned about once a year. I just burn everything off.

If you get a Q, I also highly recommend the Weber rolling cart which accepts the Baby Q and Full size Q.

Downside; they're heavy which is a turnoff for some
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Big_Blue
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for all for the options. Time to research!
Bob & Patty Smith
both USAF Retired

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
GoPackGo wrote:
If you MUST get a gas grill, the Weber Q grill seems to be what most recommend.

FWIW, I do think it's an excellent choice. I have one.

Triple ditto.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
KISS theory.

I've tried them all and trust me once you get going on RV'ing.
"space" how much room something will take up, will become a priority with your RV!

BBQ grill and burner. Folds flat for storage and doesn't take up a lot of room in storage bay.

I agree with Rockhill manor. I use a very old cast aluminum Toro table top model and we've never had problems with cooking on it. My DB bought us a Baby "Q" for our condo and I hated that thing. You could not sear a steak with that thing. Hooked the Toro back up worked fine for hot dogs, sausage links, kielbasa and searing hamburgers and steaks, any heat you wanted. The "Q" was a space hog to boot, took 3 or 4 times as much room as the Toro.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II