cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Planning Ontario TT / Fishing Trip - Need Advice

SilentTrouble
Explorer
Explorer
I'd like to take the new TT up to Ontario from Indiana on a fishing trip.

I'd like to go through Toronto if possible, as I have friends that owe me beer, bbq, and a golf round; enough about that though.

My wife wants to go fishing in Canada, Ontario makes the most sense from where we are. I don't think shes cares too much about the species as fishing here is so terrible she'd be happy with anything.

I'd like to make it as enjoyable and "convenient as possible", She wasn't raise to "rough it" so an RV park with power/water would be necessary and internet would be a plus with my work.

I'll drive as far north as I need to find what I'm looking for, but honestly I don't know anything about Canada RV/Fishing, and my Brampton friends don't fish.

Any help would be appreciated. I don't mind day driving to fish if that's necessary either, however a campsite near water would be ideal. THANKS!
11 REPLIES 11

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I would head straight up I 75 all the way up to SS Marie ,cross into Canada there and turn right.

Fish like crazy while heading down to Toronto ,visit and the continue to Detroit ,cross and head for home.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
SilentTrouble wrote:
I don't want to limit myself to southern, I wanted to swing through Brampton on the way up or back. Like I said, I'm willing to drive north to find what I'm looking for. I was planning to bring poles and tackle. Buy some there maybe, charter only if necessary but fish on my own shore or bank style maybe rental boats. Central sounds like the way to go. Any recommendations on rv camps and lakes/ponds/steams. I wrote down nipissing and some others.

There are so many lakes in central Ontario, you would probably be more inclined to find RV camping that is more to your liking then research fishing.

Here is an example, Gravenhurst is right smack dab in the middle of cottage country, so it's pretty touristy in the summer, which can be good (other things to do) or bad, being a little more crowded.

http://koa.com/campgrounds/gravenhurst/

Or something like this, which is a little more rustic, likely no wifi, but would be less busy overall and easier access to fishing. French river area is beautiful (though I'm biased since this area was settled by my family)

http://fishtale.ca

Just a comment, I have not stayed at either of these campgrounds, just giving examples.

Its hard for me to recommend fishing spots, especially with shore/bank fishing as that is really not something that would be on my itinerary/plan for a fishing trip. I'm not sure how bad the fishing is in Indiana, but to me, unless you are getting out in a boat, you are missing out on 95% of the fishing opportunities that Ontario has to offer (unless you are an avid fly/trout fisherman and really spend time seeking out the best rivers/spots, unfortunately that is not something I'm too familiar with). When I go fishing, I go fishing however, and it often involves accessing back country lakes in Northern Ontario.

Sorry I can't be more helpful in that regard.

SilentTrouble
Explorer
Explorer
I don't want to limit myself to southern, I wanted to swing through Brampton on the way up or back. Like I said, I'm willing to drive north to find what I'm looking for. I was planning to bring poles and tackle. Buy some there maybe, charter only if necessary but fish on my own shore or bank style maybe rental boats. Central sounds like the way to go. Any recommendations on rv camps and lakes/ponds/steams. I wrote down nipissing and some others.

CptSydor
Explorer
Explorer
How do you intend on fishing? Are you bringing any sort of watercraft? Relying on shore fishing? Charter/Rent?

In general, Southern Ontario (South and West of Barrie) is more big water fishing (Great Lakes) and some river fishing. Plenty of charter opportunities if that is what you are looking for (Salmon, Walleye, Small Mouth etc). Pretty hard to fish these waters on your own unless you are well equipped. Shore fishing/River fishing in Southern Ontario probably would be a little underwhelming for a fishing trip.

Central Ontario. North of Barrie, East to Ottawa and Up to Sudbury, is considered cottage country. Lots of smaller lakes, more manageable water, fishing is considered better in general. Should be easy to find good campgrounds, Wifi maybe, and boat rental/guides/help pretty easy.

Northern Ontario is north of Sudbury. Fishing is generally considered really good (Walleye, Pike, Trout) would be the species normally targeted. You probably won't find nearly as many serviced campgrounds, wifi probably limited. Fishing guides/boat rental would be primarily out of lodges.

Access to quality fishing is likely inversely related to the quality of RV campgrounds, unless you want to pay for charters on the big water of Southern Ontario.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with the suggestion of Fifty Point. It is on Lake Ontario and it would take about 30 - 45 minutes to drive to Brampton from there. There is a marina at 50 Point but I'm not sure if they let you fish in that area. There is a catch and release fishing pond that is always busy but very few fish are caught - at least that is what fishermen told us in Sept. when we were there
It is an easy 45 minute drive to Niagara Falls from there.

Bronte Provincial Park has water and electric hookups only and a dumping station. It would be much more convenient for visiting your friends but Milton Heights would be closer still and does have full facilities. Prices would be similar - 50 Point is $50/night unless they raise the rates again.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Not sure how this would fit your plans but we do have experience to share.

We entered at Port Huron/Sarnia which I think is a much better crossing than at Detroit. We had a dog and full RV, the dog very visible in the back set of the pickup. Just a few very courteous questions, no request for documents and we were into Canada. BTW, we had the documents!

We camped for 4 or 5 days at Fifty Point Conservation Area near Hamilton. Of course, our objective was Niagara Falls and meeting with Ontario RV friends who joined us there. It was one of our favorite campsites of all times.

Great hike down to the Lakeshore and marina which Daisy, the dog, and I made several times while we were there.

Entry back into the US was at Niagara Falls, NY. No problem, but just a bit stricter--took a few more minutes.

Jack_Diane_Free
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest you cross at either Detroit or Port Huron and your best bet would be Milton Heights Campground in Milton Ontario right off the 401. Nice Campground, FHU, well maintained and well managed with controlled access.

Milton Heights is also very close to Brampton, and an easy drive. Also easy drive to Lake Simcoe and other smaller lakes for fishing. Might be difficult getting into Bronte Creek Provincial Park as it fills up very fast and does not have FHU.

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
I can't help with fishing but I do know you do not want to drive any RV around Toronto. Traffic is horrific at all hours. How are you approaching Toronto? Are you planning to cross into Ontario at Port Huron or Detroit or Sault Ste. Marie. If you know this information then we could suggest a c.g. outside of Toronto ( near Brampton) that would enable you to visit your friends and take day trips for fishing. There are a couple of parks west of Toronto that might work for you - also lots of golf courses in that area. Milton Heights C.G. and Bronte Prov. Park are two that come to mind.

Note that someone suggested getting a free N.P. park pass. There really are not any great N.P. in Southern Ontario for rving. Point Pelee on Lake Erie does not have camping but there are private parks nearby. Lake Erie perch is good but you would need a boat for fishing.
The only other N.P. I can think of near Toronto is Georgian Bay and it is comprised mostly of islands and is more for boaters/canoeists and backpackers.

Depending on the timing, you might like to go on a salmon charter boat into Lake Ontario.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

WNYBob
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an interesting link Parks Canada (national parks)
And free National Parks admissions pass
CA NP pass

SilentTrouble
Explorer
Explorer
Sometime this summer for maybe 2 weeks.
No pets, no firearms intended, health insurance and auto covers vacation needs. Great questions.

PghBob
Explorer
Explorer
When are you going? Pets? Firearms? Health Insurance? Tow vehicle and TT insurance coverage in Canada? These are some things I believe need to be answered before taking off to the north.